User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Printing to A0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Printing to A0

Hey guys, I'm putting photos up at the companies charity thing. I have two canvas stands and want to get photos printed MASSIVELY. (A0 so +/- 100cm x 80cm)

However, my concern is whether or not they'll come out decent.

Now the printer I'm going with provided me with a photoshop template, I opened it up, and the template file is 14114px x 9992px.

The photographs from the 5D are 50% that size.

Being a graphics designer, I'm based on web only. So that says to me "holy crap your photo will look like ass".

I've never had to deal with a situation like this involving print, because, well, I'm web based.

Can somebody please shed some insight? Thank you!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the size thing I got from the Aquabumps display in Bondi Junction Westfields. He has some A0 style prints of his photos there, and they look incredible! So I figured I could do it.

Reading online, best sources say I could be able to do is around 76cm x 50cm

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have a look into this : http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-resize/

Brilliant for upsizing and keeping detail/sharpness
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50%, presumably linear. So, double the output size of your file WITHOUT resampling - assuming you can do that in/with Photoshop.

Your camera's images should stand a mere doubling of size, especially - this I'm not sure about - if they're going onto canvas. To test, try printing some critical portions of the result.

(Hmm! A thought: Surely they do not want it sent on-line!!!??? Nah! Can't be.)

Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Have a look into this : http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-resize/

Brilliant for upsizing and keeping detail/sharpness
    Oh my, that is incredible!

It's expensive, understandably expensive. But looks like it's exactly what I'd need for this I'll have to work out my budget.. It's costing $100 for the two prints already plus I need to construct a frame/support hrmm..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    50%, presumably linear. So, double the output size of your file WITHOUT resampling - assuming you can do that in/with Photoshop.

Your camera's images should stand a mere doubling of size, especially - this I'm not sure about - if they're going onto canvas. To test, try printing some critical portions of the result.

(Hmm! A thought: Surely they do not want it sent on-line!!!??? Nah! Can't be.)

Am.
    Their cheapness is due to the fact that you have to do the leg work and preparation, they merely print it. =/ I asked them a bunch of questions and got back a "you need to do this, we don't do this" kind of reply. Wouldn't even inform me whether or not that my photo will come out OK or not! *sigh*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tommo don't forget though most people won't view an A0 that close. If your 5D image is 50% the size of the printer template and it's at 300dpi you could happily print at 150dpi since you'll be viewing the image probably 1m away or more.

You can easily do a test print at the final dpi anyway and see what it's like first when standing back, but honestly you'll be fine. I deal with this junk at work and uni all the time.
    Last edited by mikec; 13-09-2012 at 6:37pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Tommo don't forget though most people won't view an A0 that close. If your 5D image is 50% the size of the printer template and it's at 300dpi you could happily print at 150dpi since you'll be viewing the image probably 1m away or more.

You can easily do a test print at the final dpi anyway and see what it's like first when standing back, but honestly you'll be fine. I deal with this junk at work and uni all the time.
    Mike, thank you for that

So, the template they gave me, I'm going to dump the photo in that, scale it up and send it to them. Hopefully all will be OK!

If not, then, well, sucks for me but whatever lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A0 is nothing really in terms of size, I regularly print at 45x30 inch for clients, which translates to 114.3cm x 76.2cm.

Mike is right about the viewing distance, nobody views it a few inches away, so a 5D file - exposed and sharpened properly during PP - will be fine for A0 format. As long as the TIFF or JPEG file is saved at its highest setting, and DPI from 300 to 150 its a piece of cake.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also noted the word canvas in there somewhere too!

What Mike says is relevant.
    Who is going to stand in close to such a print to inspect vital details and sharpness?
    (if they do they really need to get a life! )

A print is about the print .. a larger(than life?) print is about the overall impact of the size and scale ... not so much the fiddly detail bits.

IF the image is printed on canvas .. well then, the texture of the canvas material itself is going to kill any fine details you're fussing about. 150dpi is probably overkill in that case!
    From memory .... canvas prints are fine down to 75dpi.

My sis printed one of my images from a 1024 wide image I emailed her. The print size is about A3 or larger I think. Everyone that's seen it(family love it) and even I liked seeing it in print .. It's of my father and all his grandchildren. Again, no has ever commented that the details are crisp and clear, and even I missed inspecting it in that manner. It's about the image, or the scene, or overall impact of the print .. not always about the fine details and such.

Sometimes we photographers fuss over the insignificant details when(if) it matters not!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JM! Gave me more confidence with it

Arthur, A0 photo paper/poster print, not canvas! It'll be on a canvas painting easel thingy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their cheapness is due to the fact that you have to do the leg work and preparation, they merely print it. =/ I asked them a bunch of questions and got back a "you need to do this, we don't do this" kind of reply. Wouldn't even inform me whether or not that my photo will come out OK or not! *sigh*
    See, now that's where I'd be saying Screw you guys, I'm going somewhere that has customer service. Regardless of how cheap they are. If you want to be treated like that, go to Office Works. I'm sure there's a 14yo kid there just waiting to give you greif.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the original printing company I found, the ones who wanted me to set it up myself.

I sent them the JPG set to the size their A0 downloadable template was set up for, they sent me a proof to approve and then 3 days later I had the prints they look GREAT!

I used the resizer software Ricktas suggested: