Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  30
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: D600

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by znelbok View Post
    What would you guys recomend as a lens to get initially with this camera. I eventually want an UW lens for landscape and my previous lens was an 18-135 which I found good for general purpose work.

My initial lens list is
    14-24 f2.8
    24-120 f4 or 24-70 f2.8
    70-200 f2.8

The 24-70/120 would be the lens that I am initially looking for, or something similar. These a Nikon lenses, but looking at Sigma I see some lenses that are significantly cheaper with similar specs
    e.g. Sigma 24-70 f.28 for $690 compared to the nikon 24-120 f4 $1100 or nikon 24-70 f2.8 $1540. As you can see the Sigma is significantly cheaper (under half the nikon) and I am concerned that I am missing something important between the two (three) lenses.

Thanks

Mick
    when I went from Pentax to Nikon..I made the move as I wanted a 70-200Vr II..plus I wanted a camera that had better AF than the pentax K5 had....I looked at Nikon lens lineup and that too made the decision to go with Nikon easier.

the point I'm trying to make is DSLRs are only part of a system, the lenses are the other part.....most people go with Third party due to cost, when I was with Pentax it was due to a manufacturer lens not being available for the FL that I wanted.

I read reviews, I look at the lenses first hand , up till now the Nikon lens has always been the best choice for me ...but they are expensive, but you get what you pay for I believe...

so if you can stretch for it get the Nikon lens..after all what did you buy a D600 for ..if it wasn't to use Nikon Glass ?

as far as your lens choice...I love my 70-200...then the 24-70...so Id get a 70-200 first...its the most expensive , so get that pain out the door early I say ...but if it were between a 24-120 or the 24-70, Id buy the latter

I would prefer to buy only one lens and it be outstanding, rather than three ok ones for the same money YMMV
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 18-10-2012 at 5:54pm.
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These replies make a lot of sense but don't make it any easier.

On one hand, the non-oem lenses are significantly cheaper and are from reputable manufacturers (unlike a cheap Chinese hand-grip). Aftermarket equipment can be as good and even surpass OEM parts, and the price will reflect that.

What is confusing though is the price difference here. How do you quantify the extra value in the Nikon glass?

Is the image quality twice as good (doubtful)?
    Is the build quality twice as good?
    Can you look at a photo and tell me which lens was used (bit like listening to speakers with expensive cables)?

I cant answer these questions and I know there is varying opinions on which way to go. Reviews and personal comments are all I can go by at the moment.
    Mick

Nikon D600 & D80, 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 50mm f1.4 Sigma ,18-135 Nikkor, Kenko Extension Tubes, SB-700 and a few little bits and pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a sigma 70-200 HSM II...and my Nikon 70-200 VR II is easily twice as good, and three times better in the IQ/ sharpness area...build wise , Id say half as good , Ive never had a sigma 24-70 so I cant help there

images.... I can see what were taken with the Nikon against the sigma, I can shoot a F2.8 and still have a sharper image than at F5.6 on the sigma

im not so sure about the new Sigma OS version of the 70-200..the gap has closed but not enough IMO

how much these differance make in a dollar value is too hard to even consider....its up to the individual and what they feel is right for them , my advice is go test the lenses and make your own mind up
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 18-10-2012 at 9:41pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mick,

I know what you mean, pricing per performance doesnt make a lot of sense sometimes.
    I guess there are two things that come to mind.
    1st. you have changed to FF and different manufacturer, why ? Performance, because the one you are using isnt as good as the new system. The new system has an edge.
    2nd. Sigma (tamron and tokina) have some good lenses but few of them are rated highly, like the canon or nikon equivalents, why ? Performance, because they arent as good as the brand one. The system has an edge.
    When you start to see and feel the difference between lenses and know that something is better than the other then it is time to change. That means you know its not you that might be letting you down, its the equipment.
    Similarly, in all fields of life its the same.
    So , if you can tell the difference then go with the best one.

Of course you should try them out where possible, afterall the cost is worth it.

In sound systems we had a term "$10 sound system for a $10 ear"
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just thinking about this camera and the best way to go about purchasing.

I have found it for <$2K with Aus warranty, but I am wondering if there is an opportunity for a group buy with those that may still be sitting on the fence here.

I don't know if GB's are allowed here and I am sure there would be a site sponsor willing to do a deal. I am relatively new here so I am not familiar with how open this community is to group buy's, but with the interest in this new camera, it seems like the ideal time to have one

Just a though

Mick

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567