0 Thread(s)

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well!

Looks like a D800 it's then(for me).

It's more of a D7000 level camera rather than a replacement for the D300s, and with that it has too many compromises(connectivity and performance) for an upper end DSLR.

5.5fps is too slow(7 or 8fps for the D7K and D300), non inclusion of the Nikon 10 pin connector(or any new variant on that) ... twin SD card slots etc.

It'd almost certainly make a decent general camera, say for landscapes or portraits, but not enough to be an all rounder or a sportcentric(fast paced shooting) camera when needed.
    That leaves Nikon with a large hole in their lineup between the fastish D7000 to the D4 for any sports orientated photographer.

I think for many others, this may be a usable body.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was impatient and purchased the D800 in June which I'm very pleased with. Still, the D600 appears to be $1,000 cheaper, which is interesting. Noticeable differences between the two seem to be 39 v 51 AF, 5.5 v 4 fps (which seems rather insignificant) the resolution and 1/4000 v 1/8000.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This fills a good niche market for ppl like myself who can see its popularity as a travel camera/PJ work where size and weight is a factor, but still maintain full frame etc. Then again, I'd rather carry the D4 or D800 anyway.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will have wireless tethering ( image review and camera operation ) to android and iOS devices using a little transmitter a la d3200 which is a winning feature and somewhat negates a 10 pin connector if you have one of those devices

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollo View Post
    It will have wireless tethering ( image review and camera operation ) to android and iOS devices using a little transmitter a la d3200 which is a winning feature and somewhat negates a 10 pin connector if you have one of those devices

That's all well and good, but have you ever tried to (easily and quickly) tried to handle a camera body with a 3" cancerous growth hanging off to one side?
    Not good for easy use, and had they placed the connector any place else than to the usual side, I'd have considered a wholesale swap to a new system of connectivity.

Try to handle a D7000 or D90 with a GPS, or remote trigger still attached to it.
    Impossible to mount a (good quality) L bracket to a body such as this AND attach peripherals that require side mounted connections ... etc, etc.

gimme a 10pin connector any day compared to this (awkward) solution.
    While I accept that the offerings are there, the probability of these connector types causing issues is too high for someone that uses them often or moves around a lot.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks more like the size of an F80 which is great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    That's all well and good, but have you ever tried to (easily and quickly) tried to handle a camera body with a 3" cancerous growth hanging off to one side?
    Not good for easy use, and had they placed the connector any place else than to the usual side, I'd have considered a wholesale swap to a new system of connectivity.

Try to handle a D7000 or D90 with a GPS, or remote trigger still attached to it.
    Impossible to mount a (good quality) L bracket to a body such as this AND attach peripherals that require side mounted connections ... etc, etc.

gimme a 10pin connector any day compared to this (awkward) solution.
    While I accept that the offerings are there, the probability of these connector types causing issues is too high for someone that uses them often or moves around a lot.
    Yes not a perfect solution by any stretch, and individuals will need to evaluate their priorities, but live view and critical focusing on a 9 inch retina display is going to be good, not to mention instant review and the ability to do a quick on the spot edit ( with any number of good apps ) for a client or yourself, will be a selling point for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by zollo; 13-09-2012 at 4:19pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Petapixel the price will be US$2,100 when it's officially announced.

- - - Updated - - -

5.5fps is too slow(7 or 8fps for the D7K and D300), non inclusion of the Nikon 10 pin connector(or any new variant on that) ... twin SD card slots etc.

It'd almost certainly make a decent general camera, say for landscapes or portraits, but not enough to be an all rounder or a sportcentric(fast paced shooting) camera when needed.
    There is more to be concerned about than this, Arthur. The max sync speed of 1/200th is a major problem for strobists as well. That's a critical 1/3rd stop down on the capability of the D7000, so portraits in ambient become problematic. Not that I could afford to move to full frame anyway, unless it had been at the rumoured sub-$2k level. It's clearly a camera for the American consumer ... they need a big-a$$ed everything, including sensor, even if they can't tell you why!
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    According to Petapixel the price will be US$2,100 when it's officially announced.

- - - Updated - - -

There is more to be concerned about than this, Arthur. The max sync speed of 1/200th is a major problem for strobists as well. That's a critical 1/3rd stop down on the capability of the D7000, so portraits in ambient become problematic. Not that I could afford to move to full frame anyway, unless it had been at the rumoured sub-$2k level. It's clearly a camera for the American consumer ... they need a big-a$$ed everything, including sensor, even if they can't tell you why!
    Going by recent releases I reckon they will start appearing at around $2400.00 locally at the stores that set their retail level sensibly and a few hundred more at the likes of Teds and the other blatant gougers.

Flash Synch speed is easily taken care of with the use of the various reliable triggers ( that any strobist should own ) which integrate with all other Nikon models and is not a great concern really
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    This fills a good niche market for ppl like myself who can see its popularity as a travel camera/PJ work where size and weight is a factor, but still maintain full frame etc.
    Size and weight compared to what? If you are comparing it to the D800 it is only minimally smaller and lighter.

D800 = 900gms - 146 x 123 x 82 mm
    D600 = 760gms - 141 x 113 x 82 mm

The D600 is only 140gms lighter and 5mm less wide and 10mm less in height.

Then again, I'd rather carry the D4 or D800 anyway.
    I would still rather use the D800 as well, the D600 holds no interest to me whatsoever.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This fills a good niche market for ppl like myself who can see its popularity as a travel camera/PJ work where size and weight is a factor, but still maintain full frame etc.
    I think the Photojournalists that can't afford a Leica will probably be giving the new Sony RX1 a pretty close look ... full frame, fixed (decent 35mm) lens and sub-$3k. I doubt any of them are interested in scene modes, or any of the other bells and whistles Nikon have crammed into the D600. JMHO of course.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post

I would still rather use the D800 as well, the D600 holds no interest to me whatsoever.
    I'd still be interested personally if the sensor can deliver better quality in some way.

You would expect a newer sensor technology to improve upon an older tech sensor, so in the situation where the D600 provides higher quality images in some instances when compared to a D800, then it may be an option in addition to a D800.

A D700 ised D600 would have been nice.

I'm still left wondering if this is a replacement for the traditional D300 market segment, or another push by Nikon to create a new market niche/segment?
    (actually this wouldn't be a new market segment, as Sony provided that with the A850).

It seems that the 5.5 fps may be a bandwidth limitation of the sensor, as Sony's A99 has a 6fps limit.
    Either way, if this is to be considered a replacement for the D300, then it's a slight backward step in terms of performance.
    As opposed to the traditional marketing tool of improving performance in one area even if this means stagnation in other areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    I think the Photojournalists that can't afford a Leica will probably be giving the new Sony RX1 a pretty close look.....
    If you read the hype, it seems that Photojournalists are eschewing traditional photographic methods and all migrating to more modern tools like iPhones and Instagram!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Size and weight compared to what? If you are comparing it to the D800 it is only minimally smaller and lighter.

D800 = 900gms - 146 x 123 x 82 mm
    D600 = 760gms - 141 x 113 x 82 mm

The D600 is only 140gms lighter and 5mm less wide and 10mm less in height.

Size and weight when you are loaded down with other gear such as ballistics armour and other equipment dangling on your chest rig for combat PJs, or for myself when traveling very lightly for travel stories in remote areas, every gram counts in the long run. As Zollo suggested earlier, the connection to Android or iOS can be invaluable to those working on the fly through their phone and electronics too.

I think the Photojournalists that can't afford a Leica will probably be giving the new Sony RX1 a pretty close look ... full frame, fixed (decent 35mm) lens and sub-$3k. I doubt any of them are interested in scene modes, or any of the other bells and whistles Nikon have crammed into the D600. JMHO of course.
    Havent met any travel photographers or combat correspondents who use Leica in a widespread role yet, Nikon and Canon are the main choices due to widespread availability and use and ability to share equipment with other colleagues and miscellaneous things. You can easily get access to Canikon stuff in Kandahar or Bagram airbase etc in Afghanistan and serviceable there by the tech dudes, not easy to get Leica replacements. Or in Sri Lanka in the highlands when I was there recently, but Canikon - easily. The Sony RX1 sounds great on paper, but the fixed lens is a limitation to some.
    Last edited by JM Tran; 13-09-2012 at 7:05pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :rumour: It is all a smoke screen to cover the announcement of the true D300s replacement that will feature 16mp, all the build and control properties of the old model + offer fast frame rate, superb autofocus and metering qualities at a fair price for a DX body:/rumor:

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    :rumour: It is all a smoke screen to cover the announcement of the true D300s replacement that will feature 16mp, all the build and control properties of the old model + offer fast frame rate, superb autofocus and metering qualities at a fair price for a DX body:/rumor:
    You spreading 'em or trying to start 'em, Andrew?
    Last edited by WhoDo; 13-09-2012 at 7:08pm. Reason: Stupid auto-correct

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Size and weight when you are loaded down with other gear such as ballistics armour and other equipment dangling on your chest rig for combat PJs, or for myself when traveling very lightly for travel stories in remote areas, every gram counts in the long run.
    Yep, 6 muesli bars is life and death stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, 6 muesli bars is life and death stuff.

Ever served before?

If you have, or had worked as a travel photographer, saving 500g to 1kg is a lot in the long run. You do realize a typical PJ has 2-3 cameras on the body at all times, not to mention carrying extra ammo and equipment for the troops even though they are meant to be non-combatants. Any weight saving without sacrificing quality and gear is a bonus. Not to mention those that travel light for work - carry on luggage these days at 7kg is nothing when you are trying to balance between equipment and living essentials - definitely an area which counts.

My point being, even though you might think ooohhh a saving weight total of 6 muesli bars might be nothing, but to us who run around for days or weeks on end, either in higher altitude or burdened down, every gram counts. Those that have been there, or doing it, knows this.
    Last edited by JM Tran; 13-09-2012 at 7:28pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew! you need a new muesli bar manufacturer .. that diff make it 1.5 bars for me, but I digress ......

I heard that the real D300s replacement is a D600 based beast, will have 141grams of camo coloured polythermonuclearesin protective body coatings instead of the traditional Nikon leather

.... so it just ain't gunna cut it.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever served before?
    As an waiter in the officers mess? No, you?

- - - Updated - - -

Andrew! you need a new muesli bar manufacturer .. that diff make it 1.5 bars for me, but I digress ......
    Sorry, I was always crap at maths.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast