User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  20
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: is a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8G ED + D7000 a waste?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crikey Danny that's a tough call at the moment....the D7000 will be better at high ISo for sure..the D600 even better to much better...if one of the upgrade reasons is LV..then a Used D700 is out as the LV is a tad cumbersome in it..when using Contrast AF.

so what to do..Hmm

your in a bit of a dilemma mate thats for sure ..I went to a D700 for better hi ISO..so I know where your coming from

in all honestly at this stage mate ..I still think a D7000 with a Nikon 24-70 for $2400 is the go ..its a good body excellent lens ...good high ISO and good LV with 39 Focus points it will serve you well for at least 2-3 years before the must have bug hits you again....and for a body that's only about $850 grey at the moment you cant go wrong I reckon.

or if you have another spare $1000 get the D600 and the Nikon lens....I dunno about all the others in this thread..but I bought Nikon Bodies as I wanted Nikon glass...not the other way round
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..I dunno about all the others in this thread..but I bought Nikon Bodies as I wanted Nikon glass...not the other way round
    Great advice.

Sacrificing lens quality for body seems the wrong way around.

- - - Updated - - -

Steve - I agree at $800 the D7000 just seems like such a great deal!!
    Last edited by WhoDo; 22-09-2012 at 8:02pm. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never owned a D7000..but I did have a Pentax K5 for a while..it has the same sensor as the D7000..it was very good at pulling and pushing in post processing..great detail recovery in blown highlight and in particular underexposed areas..very good dynamic range....high ISO were good too..but not as good as the D700..but still good and lots better than my older pentax K7 that has a slightly higher score than a D3000 for ISO at the DXO site ..so I think your in for a treat with the higher ISo of the D7000 over a D3000

in my camera bag I have three lenses that I wont sell...AFS17-35...AFS24-70..AFS70-200 II....these Ill keep forever ...the rest of it...nah..

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve- Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I have heard those three lenses described as the "nikon holy trinity"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no worries mate..Im sure you'll be ok whatever your choice...let us know what way you go...and post some pictures with the new gear

EDIT

I know that the D7000 was plagued with back/front focus and oil on the sensor issues on release..bit like the D800 and is left bank AF issues...be a good idea to check with recent purchasers of the D7000 that that was cleared up with later product runs

Lance had one..perhaps he can chime in on that score
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 22-09-2012 at 8:07pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8G ED + D7000 a waste?

I bought a D7000 about 3 months ago. No issues whatsoever. Checked all my lenses for focussing issues, all good. Agree, it's a hell of a lot of camera for the price. Great bang for your buck.
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just when you thought you had it all figured out...

I ordered the D7000 and as for the 24-70 nikon . My wonderful other half decided that a family holiday to HK was in order early next year. So to cut a long story (or should that be long "discussion") short. The money that I had for the lens is going towards the air tickets which the wife is currently ordering. There is an "understanding" however that seeing as we will be going to the home of cheap camera gear that the first purchase will be the 24-70mm when we arrive.

I did also manage to stretch the budget to include a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Aspherical IF. Which I know is not the best but it is a step in the right direction.

Thank you all for the comments, advice and opinions. This is why AP is so great it gives people like me (limited experience) an opportunity to get some much needed help from other more experienced folk.

Can't wait to get my hands on my new toy. I'll post the first images here.
    Last edited by danny; 24-09-2012 at 12:47am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    Just when you thought you had it all figured out...

I ordered the D7000 and as for the 24-70 nikon . My wonderful other half decided that a family holiday to HK was in order early next year. So to cut a long story (or should that be long "discussion") short. The money that I had for the lens is going towards the air tickets which the wife is currently ordering. There is an "understanding" however that seeing as we will be going to the home of cheap camera gear that the first purchase will be the 24-70mm when we arrive.

I did also manage to stretch the budget to include a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Aspherical IF. Which I know is not the best but it is a step in the right direction.

Thank you all for the comments, advice and opinions. This is why AP is so great it gives people like me (limited experience) an opportunity to get some much needed help from other more experienced folk.

Can't wait to get my hands on my new toy. I'll post the first images here.

Must warn you that pricing in HK is not THAT cheap anymore. It is cheaper to buy a lens or body from DWI or eGlobal online and have it delivered to you in Australia, rather than buying one in HK. The possibility or need to return the product for warranty purposes is easier too if you by with the aforementioned companies who can do repairs or exchange in Australia, whereas if you has bought something from Man Shing or Wing Shing for example in HK - it is much harder.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Danny,

The D7000 Tammy 17-50VC combo is nothing to be sneezed at. It can produce good results. Here is a post I just put up with a few photos from this combo.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...08#post1072508

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed - I have the D7000 with the non VC Tamron 17-50 and it's been a top performer for me to date.

BC

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Must warn you that pricing in HK is not THAT cheap anymore. It is cheaper to buy a lens or body from DWI or eGlobal online and have it delivered to you in Australia, rather than buying one in HK. The possibility or need to return the product for warranty purposes is easier too if you by with the aforementioned companies who can do repairs or exchange in Australia, whereas if you has bought something from Man Shing or Wing Shing for example in HK - it is much harder.
    My wife and I were there in December 2011 and found that the pricing there was generally (for genuine gear) more expensive than you could get locally. Would an option be to grab the 24-70 and then claim the GST back as you're travelling?
    Olympus OM-D EM-1, 12-40mm f2.8, 45mm f1.8, Panny 25mm f1.7

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BC and EPOC - I have read many (too many ) great reviews of the tammy lens, it is great to here from some people on here that it genuinely is a good lens.

BC - Cheers for the idea will definitely look into it.

PS. This has been the slowest few days of my life... waiting for my new toy to arrive.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has arrived. Excited is an understatement. I will post first shots ASAP.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Look forward to your samples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the thread quite interesting and informative.

To all participants of this thread:
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge with your very useful comments.
    Regards.
    J. Arguello.

Constructive Criticism (CC) is alsways welcome.
    Photography gear: Nikon D7000; Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8; Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6; Tamron A17 70-300mm f/4 - 5.6; Nikkor 50mm f/1.8; Yongnuo 35mm f/2; Neewer 85mm f/1.8; Nikon AW100 ;Canon EOS 300; Tamron 28-105mm; Canon 75-300mm.
    Photo Editing: Nikon Capture NX-D , GIMP ;

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arguelloflores/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123