Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Cheap Flash Modifier Kit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap Flash Modifier Kit?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with the following cheap flash modifier kit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/200595345512...84.m1438.l2649) from eBay or similar? The mount with the clips looks quite useful in terms of attaching any DIY light modifiers.

Cheers,

G.
    Still learning the ropes - critiques and comments always welcomed!
    Cheers, Glen
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    See more of me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The honeycomb and the barn doors look like they could be useful. Kind of depends upon what you want to use them for and how.

Alot of light modifiers are very easily knocked together at home. a Can of Pringles makes a great snoot, fill the can with black straws, and you have a decent honeycomb. Use a foam Vegetable box with a white fabric scrim and you have a super cheap soft box & Beauty dishes can be done with a stainless steel bowl and a Blank CD with a bit of jigging around.

None of these (unless you really are good with your hands) will look too great when you have your model there and you start pulling out the DIY gear. The results achieved can be just as good as if you pay the big $$ for them.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are all very small modifiers and the only one that looks super useful is the snoot. I'd spend the $80 on a brolly, stand and bracket if I was you. Or if you already have those, perhaps look at these DIY mods that are pretty cheap and will give you just as much if not more usefulness.

Grid

Beauty Dish

I'd concur on making your own snoot, just spray paint it black and it'll look more legit.
    Last edited by mikec; 06-09-2012 at 2:05pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    just use some cardboard, rubber bands and some facial tissues. they would be just as effective as these cheap modifiers.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography