User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Satellite L750D

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Satellite L750D

I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite L750D laptop, and I'm just having a few issues with configuring it to get the best performance for Photoshop. It's got an AMD A6 Quad-Core CPU and 16GB of RAM, but it never seems to use more than about 3.5GB of that RAM. It also has "crossfire" technology which means it is capable of switching between the on-board graphics processor and the dedicated graphics card.

The specs say it should be reasonably quick and the Windows performance indicator says it is, but it is noticeably slower when running batches in Photoshop than my desktop is.

Anybody else got this problem with AMD stuff? Someone else I know has a similar problem and says AMD chips and Photoshop can be a problem with not using all cores. Anybody else heard of it?

TIA
    Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    I16GB of RAM, but it never seems to use more than about 3.5GB of that RAM
    What OS are you running? You need 64bit version to utilise over 4GB.

John

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry John. I forgot to put the OS details in. It's Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I managed to get it to use all the RAM by opening 280 full res jpegs in one go. So it knows it's there. It's obviously the processor/HDD combo that is the bottleneck. The HDD is 5.9 on the Windows PI and the RAM is 7.3. I only use it as a backup processor when my desktop is busy.

Thanks for your help though. I appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Tim

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I borrowed a laptop from a local wedding photographer who I helped with a shoot last weekend. It is the same model as mine. Used it to upload and process some images. It was only marginally better than mine. He had an SSD in his. He did have a USB3 card reader though, and that was MUCH faster. I think I might have just bought too slow a CPU. Probably should have gone for an i7.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Satellite L750D

I have an Asus with an A8 processor and 8gb ram usb3 and 750 gb hdd to replace my Toshiba L500 Pentiun dual core 2300 (pre i3) and the A8 processor is only incremantally quicker at most things.

Big plus is that I never run out of memory now. The main problem I had with the Toshiba was memory as I couldn't get it to work with Win7 64bit so stuck with 3 gb ram.

Dissappointed with the graphics performance of the AMD's Radon chip and 2 gb of memory whuch is no better than the Toshiba's Radon with 512 kb.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has the AMD A6-3400M. I can't see it on this list. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Too late for me to change now. Should have done some more research before opening my wallet.