Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Flash Recommendations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash Recommendations

G'day.

I'm sporting a 550D with twin lens, and a nifty fifty.

I'm now looking at getting an external flash unit. Would like some suggestions.

At the moment I'm looking at the Metz brand entry level one, just to fiddle around with, since I don't use flash a lot in my photography now.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the best you can. I have not heard of Metz so cannot say if they are good or bad. Can you stretch to the next level? I bought the Canon 430EXII to start with and then got a 580EXII - there is a world of difference and I never use the 430 now (well, unless I am trying to use it as a slave). Go as good as you can you will not regret it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using 4x Sigma EF-530DG Super flashes and they're excellent. GN 53, twist/tilt, auto zoom, highly configurable, P-TTL, full manual mode, off camera use with the in-body flash as a commander - plenty of functionality. At a fraction of the price of the equivalent Pentax flash ($269 Vs $669!) and with excellent build quality and performance I couldn't be happier. These aren't my first flash; I used to use Nikon SB-600's on my Nikon bodies which were excellent of course, but these Sigma flashes compare quite well. I think Nikon's CLS is in another league, but that's another discussion.

The replacement model for the EF-530DG Super is the EF-610 DG Super and should be similarly excellent. They're both available in Canon mount.
    Last edited by Eberbachl; 05-09-2012 at 12:38am.
    Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberbachl View Post
    I'm using 4x Sigma EF-530DG Super flashes and they're excellent. GN 53, twist/tilt, auto zoom, highly configurable, P-TTL, full manual mode, off camera use with the in-body flash as a commander - plenty of functionality. At a fraction of the price of the equivalent Pentax flash ($269 Vs $669!) and with excellent build quality and performance I couldn't be happier. These aren't my first flash; I used to use Nikon SB-600's on my Nikon bodies which were excellent of course, but these Sigma flashes compare quite well. I think Nikon's CLS is in another league, but that's another discussion.

The replacement model for the EF-530DG Super is the EF-610 DG Super and should be similarly excellent. They're both available in Canon mount.
    Metz have been around for years and used to have some very powerful flashguns, but I don't know if they're TTL or commander compatible, but know older ones aren't.

I think you're using a Nikon or a Pentax?. Are the Sigma's totally compatible with the Nikon and Canon's ETTL flash system. If so, that's a better idea than using Ebay suppliers flashguns. (Yongnou 560?)

I have a Canon 580 EX II and it works well. (just need to memorize all the function settings in the manual) I was thinking of buying another 580 or the newer Canon 600EX, that I think will be more future proof as it has a new radio frequency wireless commander system built in that will probably be built into the Canons of the future.

I also use my Canon 580 II off camera outside using a 1 metre ETTL cable attached to the 7D hotshoe for when I want to hand hold it in a certain position with macro. The wireless commander system on the 7D and 60D is good indoors but not so good outside.

Something different - To diffuse and reduce the harsh flash, a white plastic diffuser can be bought and placed over the flash face. I recently bought a spare. Today, I just happened to have them stacked inside each other and as the flash output was too bright, I stuck both on the flash and immediately found most of the hotspot reflections on the shiny bug vanish...
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the Sigma flashes on Pentax.

I haven't tried the Canon mount version, but from the specs it seems that they are compatible with Canon ETTL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Canon 580EXII which I use on my 60D and 5D3, and it is an excellent unit.
    Powerful and controllable, and works perfectly with either camera and can be used a commander for multi-flash applications or as a slave with other 580's or the new 600.

However, they are expensive.

If you are getting into flash for the first time, I can highly recommend the Yongnuo YN560 or the 560-II.
    The 560-II is a virtual clone of the Canon 580EX but it has one added feature, and that is that it can be used as an optical slave as well, whcih means no mucking about with the Canon system.
    If it sees another flash go off, it goes off too, if you set it to do this, but it also works with the Canon wireless system and is one of the few aftermarket flashes that will work as a commander with other Canon or Yongnuo flashes.
    The 560 and 560-II are the same unit, but the II has a rear LCD screen rather than just lights.
    However, the plain 560 is probably easier to use for a novice.

You can get them from a forum sponsor, Fotogenic for just $100 for the plain vanilla, or $130 for the II model.
    Unbeatable value IMHO.
    I'm going to get one too to supplement my other flashes.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benny (my iPad autocorrected your name to Bendy lol) your post made me smile because I ordered the YN560II after a bit of research and YouTube vids.

Hooray for me!

I know there's one that works TTL but got this one to force me to learn manual flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I've got a Canon 580EXII which I use on my 60D and 5D3, and it is an excellent unit.
    Powerful and controllable, and works perfectly with either camera and can be used a commander for multi-flash applications or as a slave with other 580's or the new 600.

However, they are expensive.

If you are getting into flash for the first time, I can highly recommend the Yongnuo YN560 or the 560-II.
    The 560-II is a virtual clone of the Canon 580EX but it has one added feature, and that is that it can be used as an optical slave as well, whcih means no mucking about with the Canon system.
    If it sees another flash go off, it goes off too, if you set it to do this, but it also works with the Canon wireless system and is one of the few aftermarket flashes that will work as a commander with other Canon or Yongnuo flashes.
    The 560 and 560-II are the same unit, but the II has a rear LCD screen rather than just lights.
    However, the plain 560 is probably easier to use for a novice.

You can get them from a forum sponsor, Fotogenic for just $100 for the plain vanilla, or $130 for the II model.
    Unbeatable value IMHO.
    I'm going to get one too to supplement my other flashes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi can the YN 560 II control canon speedlite 320ex as slave? I was also wondering the compatibility of YN wireless flash trigger for canon speedlites. Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe the YN's will work as a master, they do work as slaves thougth
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Sigma and it is excellent, although there is a steep learning curve on the unit. I suspect the top end Canon would be the same. Of course, there is always "idiot mode", but I prefer to know how to set it up manually.

(Edit: having remembered how long it took me to work out how to use it, auto mode seems like a good idea!)
    Last edited by roastman; 09-09-2012 at 10:10am.
    Enthusiastic amateur..... Canon 5D Mark II Canon 7D Canon 17-40 L Canon 24-105L Canon 70-200L F4 IS Tamron SP 90 macro Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 DGX Teleconverter

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my tax comes back I'm going to grab a YN-565EX and some RF-603 trigger receivers. Apparently these can also work TTL with my 7D and would be good for quick fill flash on the go with two kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pobbs View Post
    When my tax comes back I'm going to grab a YN-565EX and some RF-603 trigger receivers. Apparently these can also work TTL with my 7D and would be good for quick fill flash on the go with two kids.
    Do a search on the web for Yongnuo YN560 or 560-II, YN-565EX review. I had a site address that seemed to specialize in these flashguns, giving other useful info but just can't find it at present.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been toying around with the idea of purchasing the Yongnuo 560. I to scoured the net for reviews and videos and was almost convinced its the flash for me but now that I have read the above posts, I think I will be more comfortable in ensuring that it will be my next purchase. THankyou for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought my second Canon 580EXII today, before they become unavailable.

Never take your credit card with you when you're only just looking at photo gear...
    Last edited by flashc; 13-09-2012 at 4:18am. Reason: add