User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Billingham Hadley Pro Bag... a bit gay or classy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Billingham Hadley Pro Bag... a bit gay or classy?

OK, so after looking for a new shoulder bag / man bag to carry the 5D3 c/w 24-70 f2.8 L and 70-200L f2.8 (both with hoods) I finally stumbled on the Billingham Hadley Pro.

Its the perfect size for the combination I want to carry. Nothing else seems a perfect fit.

I love the quality of the Haldey Pro and I prefer the canvas tan colour to the sage or black... But is it considered a bit gay looking for a bloke to carry about? I suspect opinions will be divided, but opinions please.

http://www.fotoriesel.com.au/bags/bi...ley-range.html

Thx
    Jon

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stop worrying about what someone else might think, and buy the bag that you want, that meets your needs.

Worrying about what others think is what stops so many from attempting and therefore achieving things they want to.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends upon your own style. They have a pretty retro / classic styling so I guess it just depends upon your own style.

Have a look at Domke and the Jack Collection by Jill E they have similar retro styled bags that are a little different.

PS. Whilst I get what you mean you should probably be a little careful with the way you word things, it can be offensive to some people.
    Last edited by mikec; 04-09-2012 at 10:30pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... looks very much like MY bag! Nobody's ever commented on my perceived "gay" nature when swanning around with this over my shoulder. Then again, at 192cm and 165kg it would take a very determined person to make that point within arms reach!
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, but without dwelling in that...

I have looked at the Domke bags, they were actually the reason I went into foto reisel, wasn't too impressed.

I'll check out the others you mentioned though. Unless they happen to be perfect for my equipment and cheaper, I'll probably end up with the billy though.

Thx
    Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it'll carry your stuff, go for it!
    Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, well if it makes you look 'gay', then it maybe a improvement since most of the 'gay' people have pretty damn good dress/trend sense

seriously though, the beige does look crap, but thats just my opinion although it does not look too much like a camera bag which is always a plus.
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after the general consensus was that it looks ok and that it fits my gear (or at least the bits I want it for) perfectly, having had another look in the shop this morning I finally splashed out on the canvas tan version.

I've had it a few hours now, loaded up with 5D3 and 24-70 f2.8L and 70-200 f2.8L and even managed to get my tripod secure under the cover. During that time it's been over my shoulder on the train and through the airport.

Even without the optional shoulder pad the bag doesn't feel uncomfortable, sits nicely on the shoulder and doesn't move around much at all. It's very comfy (then again, for the $$$ it's should be!).

Time will tell how I get on with prolonged use, but so far so good.

Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent, good to hear you got it sorted and it meets your needs, but now for the important aspect, do you feel a little bit gay?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL

At the risk of offending others... I'm not going there!

...but No.

Then again it's got a big Manfrotto tripod stuck in at at the moment so the idea of it not looking like a camera bag and more of a 'man bag' is out 'the window at the moment!

Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photo attached with tripod under cover:

Sent using Forum Runner
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, Baby Poo yellow on my monitor! Tres Chic!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of the Haldey Pro bags, not that there's anything wrong with it. I also have a couple of other Billingham bags which I've had for about 20 years and they are still going strong. Although they are very expensive they are built to last (although the original, ie old, inserts are not worth a piece of shit and will eventually degrade into nothing but cloth). The new inserts are made of a different material and will probably last, just guessing..

Of all the bags I have, I have a few, I tend to use the Hadley Pro if I'm just wandering around as it's about the right size for a body a few lenses. I would typically bring one body and up to 6 manual focus lenses (primes, not large zooms). That all fits fairly comfortably and is not too heavy, even for me and I am fussy about weight. Great bag. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon they look good.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a tripod in your pocket...or are you just happy with your new bag

Honestly, as long as you are happy with your purchase, it fits all your gear, it's comfortable to lug around and it protects your camera/lenses etc. who gives a toss what it looks like???? now if it was pink with sparklies on, someone may ask THAT question, but tan for the man is fine by me I bought myself a backpack because my shoulders and elbows really start to ache if I carry anything heavy around, each to their own. Mine fits my camera, two lenses, bird book, and my Manfrotto tripod (a bit more slimline than yours) which I dismantle by taking the head stem out of the legs part and then it sits top to tail in the side of the bag.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would it make you look 'gay'? I had a wonderful Billingham 455 bag, but unfortunately by the time I put all the gear in I couldn't carry it! They are a top class brand and an excellent product. I purchased mine from Teamwork Digital in the UK.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input people, much appreciate it.

I am happy with it, it carries what I wanted it to carry and is comfy on the shoulder.

I'm also now at one with the tan on man thing

J

Sent using Forum Runner