User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: canon mr14ex vs mr24ex vs third party macro flash

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    12 Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    canon mr14ex vs mr24ex vs third party macro flash

    hello guys,

    Has anyone ever experienced using these flashes? I am considering to buy either the canon or just a third party macro ringlite flash for my 100mm and mpe 65mm lenses. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    29 Jun 2012
    Location
    Northern Beaches
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off I don't own either... Yet.

    I have however just been through the same dilemma.

    There are many on here that have the 24ex and also the cheap led ring light flashes and led ring lights.

    It seems that if you want most versatility, control and quality of light then the 24ex is the one to have. From what I've gathered the 14ex can produce rather flat light and isn't direct able. The les units, there are hundreds on the market and they do give off some light.

    You pays ya money, you takes ya choice!

    Use the search function here and also google, there's a wealth of info out there.

    I also had a play with the 24ex at the weekend... I know which way I'll go when I finally pull the buy trigger.

    HTH
    J

    Sent using Forum Runner

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    02 Aug 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aalex: I have owned the 24EX and MPE65 for a few years now. I really like the twin flash as it has the capability of varying the angles of the flashes. I also considered the ring flash but gladI didn't. The only weakness (also described by many others in various forums) is the difficulty of diffusing the flash. I have a set of flash diffusers made for this unit, but they're only partially effective. There's plenty of info on the net about those who have devised various ways of diffusing the flash. However, I still think it's a great unit. Check out "LordV"...(Brian Valentine) on the net for some magnificent macros, but taken with the MPE65 and a Canon flash (not the 24ex)...you'll be amazed!

    Paul

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2010
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    third party tend to be cheaply built and also do not allow as much flash control and have usually less power.

    Ive owned the ring light and now own the 24ex, both are good. the ring light produces better light at 3x magnificantion since the working distance is small and the flatness of the light is less.
    Id probably go for a second hand 24rx, i got mine for about $550 off the bay.

    If you are using either lens mounted flash on the 100mm macro you need to consider that the light is going to be very hard to diffuse and be able to create really nice natural look light since the working distance is about 10cm, which is quite far away. The advantage of the twin light is being able to get light from the top and sides which will be more useful at 2+magnification on the mpe.

    I personally also use a off camera flash cord and a diffused 580ex. This is a seriously versatile setup, one you can kill two birds with one stone by using it as your every day flash, and also as a macro flash. It is not the easiest set-up, but it means you are not running into plants and leaves with your flash heads like i have done many times with the 24ex. I have not used the 24ex much in the last year, mainly when i shoot macro just grab the 580ex. It also alows you to control the light angle a little better also. just something to consider also :P

    heres a few examples with 580ex light





    Last edited by fabian628; 03-09-2012 at 9:24pm.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

  5. #5
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    14 Dec 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Fabian. I use a 580EXII diffused and attached to a flash bracket and I can move it in any position and also use the 580 for other purposes.


    Ready to jump. by Matt Warrell / マットワッレル, on Flickr

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    08 Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbelltown
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an very interesting thread guy`s! Fabian, Fedgrub could you maybe put a pic from your set up with the 580ex in this thread?
    It would be intersting/helpfull to see how you set it up!
    Thanks a lot
    Klaus!

  7. #7
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    14 Dec 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem - I actually had it set up beside me from using it earlier today. I've grouped them as an album below (sorry for the messy desk). If there are any other angles or questions you need answered, let me know!

    http://imgur.com/a/WS6Bw

    So there is a wimberley flash bracket and a wimberley arca-swiss plate screwed into the camera body so the bracket can connect. If you already have one of those you can skip that. Then I've got a off-camera flash cord from the 5D to the 580EXII and a cheap diffuser on the flash unit. Ideally you would use a tripod collar because the twisty nob underneath the lens pushes into it - no issue really, but if you were extra cautious about your gear you could argue that a tripod collar would be better there.

    As for the lenses - 100mm f2.8 macro + 2 x kenko extension tubes + kenko 1.4x teleconverter
    Last edited by Fedgrub; 05-09-2012 at 3:53pm.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    29 Jun 2012
    Location
    Northern Beaches
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedgrub View Post
    No problem - I actually had it set up beside me from using it earlier today. I've grouped them as an album below (sorry for the messy desk). If there are any other angles or questions you need answered, let me know!

    http://imgur.com/a/WS6Bw

    So there is a wimberley flash bracket and a wimberley arca-swiss plate screwed into the camera body so the bracket can connect. If you already have one of those you can skip that. Then I've got a off-camera flash cord from the 5D to the 580EXII and a cheap diffuser on the flash unit. Ideally you would use a tripod collar because the twisty nob underneath the lens pushes into it - no issue really, but if you were extra cautious about your gear you could argue that a tripod collar would be better there.

    As for the lenses - 100mm f2.8 macro + 2 x kenko extension tubes + kenko 1.4x teleconverter
    What size RAM mounts are you using, A?

    Sent using Forum Runner

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    08 Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbelltown
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that Fedgrub,
    it gives me some idea how to make something up.

    I see on your pic`s that you use Kenko extention tubes and a 1.4 TC! I got a 90mm Tamron and the Kenko tubes but no TC, but I look already for a while to get me an TC but I thought off a 2x TC, may I ask why you choose a 1.4x over the 2x TC?
    Is the lost of light so much bigger with a 2x than a 1.4xTC?

    Cheers Klaus!
    Last edited by twix; 05-09-2012 at 7:41pm.

  10. #10
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    14 Dec 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventureoverland View Post
    What size RAM mounts are you using, A?

    Sent using Forum Runner
    Not sure how to tell, sorry. Here is the flash bracket I use - the RAM mount comes included. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...cro_Combo.html

    Quote Originally Posted by twix View Post
    Thanks for that Fedgrub,
    it gives me some idea how to make something up.

    I see on your pic`s that you use Kenko extention tubes and a 1.4 TC! I got a 90mm Tamron and the Kenko tubes but no TC, but I look already for a while to get me an TC but I thought off a 2x TC, may I ask why you choose a 1.4x over the 2x TC?
    Is the lost of light so much bigger with a 2x than a 1.4xTC?

    Cheers Klaus!
    Yeah the loss of light is greater with 2x, and also from reviews I was reading, people said that the image degradation is much worse with the 2x. Initially I was going to get the 2x but that was a deal breaker. I don't notice any image degradation on the 1.4x. I'm sure it's there somewhere but it really isn't noticeable. I guess it's also important to note that Kenko sell a normal and pro range of TCs, which I anticipate would differ by the quality of the glass. I went with Pro DGX http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...RO_300_DG.html

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2010
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twix View Post
    This is an very interesting thread guy`s! Fabian, Fedgrub could you maybe put a pic from your set up with the 580ex in this thread?
    It would be intersting/helpfull to see how you set it up!
    Thanks a lot
    Klaus!
    my setup is slightly less elaborate, just a cord and the flash. I have considered a bracket but never got around to buying one. Holding the camera in one hand can be done quite easily with practice

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    08 Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbelltown
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedgrub View Post
    Not sure how to tell, sorry. Here is the flash bracket I use - the RAM mount comes included. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...cro_Combo.html



    Yeah the loss of light is greater with 2x, and also from reviews I was reading, people said that the image degradation is much worse with the 2x. Initially I was going to get the 2x but that was a deal breaker. I don't notice any image degradation on the 1.4x. I'm sure it's there somewhere but it really isn't noticeable. I guess it's also important to note that Kenko sell a normal and pro range of TCs, which I anticipate would differ by the quality of the glass. I went with Pro DGX http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...RO_300_DG.html
    Thanks Fedgrub for the detailed information!
    I reckon 1.4 will be also enough, in the moment I have a 20 D but I plan to get me some where next year the 7d which is also a crop camera compared to your FF 5D!

    Thanks Klaus!
    Last edited by twix; 06-09-2012 at 5:05pm.

  13. #13
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    14 Dec 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a much cheaper setup than the Wimberley (around 25% of the cost) but I've heard the arm wears out over time and is a little more restrictive than the Wimberley's options. Might be worth considering if you're not sure if you are going to use it often enough to warrant the Wimberley.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...I_Bracket.html

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    08 Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbelltown
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedgrub View Post
    This is a much cheaper setup than the Wimberley (around 25% of the cost) but I've heard the arm wears out over time and is a little more restrictive than the Wimberley's options. Might be worth considering if you're not sure if you are going to use it often enough to warrant the Wimberley.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...I_Bracket.html
    Thanks for the link,
    but I think I will get me a court and make me up a bracket at work. I am a ToolmakerI got a Mill/Lathe and marterial at work! It will take longer to make it, but it is for free and I can spend the money on thinks I can`t make myself!

  15. #15
    Member dodgyexposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the mr-14ex ringflash. It can be a bit harsh at times, but it is very handy being able to poke it into foliage without those arms getting in the way! And it's half the price.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •