User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: lightroom help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lightroom help

Excuse my uselessness but when Im in library on the left I have the file symbol but only have the first letter of file name.What do I do to see full file name?
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not alone rookie.
    Well you may be now, but I was in your shoes a while back when I first started using LR .. I think you have to persevere and it all comes together ....... eventually.
    (on a side note: I want to find the goose that said it was supposedly intuitive and bop them on the nose for making such an idiotic statement! )

To begin with, which version of LR? I'm guessing it's v4point something?
    I'm on 4.1 at the moment but it's my less preferred editing choice.
    I can't see a file symbol with any letters in the file name on the left tho.
    When I'm in Library, I have(on the left) a choice of Catalogue and then Folders as the main headings, and from there you sort through your catalogues and sift through your folders and or hard drives for images.

here's a screencap of my LR window:
    LR4,1_screencap.jpg

Sorry about the small font ... 1920 screen width had to be compressed to fit the site's image size requirements but I think you may get the gist of it.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I was using the word file when it should be folder.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah! .... file and folder are two completely different concepts!

So you have folders on the LHS and is one of them the folder where you keep your images?

I think the default folder that LR assumes you keep your images at is something like My Pictures or whatever it was.

If you can(or have the ability) try to keep your images on a separate hard drive if possible, internal is better, and external USB drives can be slow to transfer data(loading and writing times).
    Click on the + sign where it says Folders and navigate to where you keep your images.

Once you do that, a new window will open and it will display any pertinent images in that folder.
    You then have the choice to tick/untick any images you want(by default they're all ticked) .. and then at the bottom right of that window there is an Import button you hit.

I don't use LR's cataloguing feature so I can't give you any info on how it works .... only to say that you don't have an option with cataloguing.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im probably not explaining it to well.left hand side I do have pictures folder but the folders within that folder appears (folder symbol) then first letter then ...... Its a bit hard trying to find the folder you want when only the first letter of that folder appears.Hope that makes sense

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your time mate Ive fixed the problem and to embarrassed say what is was