User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: saving raw images after copy stamp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

saving raw images after copy stamp

I have removed part of the image using copy stamp and cannot save the image. THe original image is in the raw format and i am using canon dpp. I was succesfull once but cannot get it right a second time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't save a raw as an edited raw, you have to save it as a tiff or jpg or some other format, if that is what you mean, if not disregard my post.
    Last edited by davsv1; 31-08-2012 at 2:42pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A RAW file is like a film negative, it is the base from which your 'prints' are made, So as said above, once you edit, you need to save in another format, as your original RAW file is never actually edited.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As mentioned, it won't show on your Raw file. (which is what you see after closing the stamp tool)
    Anyway, just in case. When you've done what you want in stamp tool, click OK

Capture.JPG

Although nothing changes on the Raw image in front of you now, when you convert and save (via File, top left) the changes will appear on the converted and saved file.
    If you want to keep the changes you've made attached to the Raw file, then when you close DPP, when it asks if you want to save edits, say yes. If you say no, the changes attached to the image will go away, and you'll have to do it all again maybe.
    If you go back to the same image in DPP, to see the changes you've attached to the RAW file, just start the stamp tool for that image and the previous changes you made will still be there (as long as you saved the edit) and magically appear in the image again.
    Hope that makes sense and helps.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davsv1 View Post
    You can't save a raw as an edited raw, you have to save it as a tiff or jpg or some other format, if that is what you mean, if not disregard my post.
    Some software does allow the edited raw file to be saved in the same format as the original raw.

Nikon's software does, as I'd expect Canon's DPP too allow the same feature also.

Nikon's CaptureNX2 allows the use of versions(of the same raw file), so that you dont' even need to save it with a different file name, and hence in another location on the hard drive as a separate file.

That is, you have the one raw file, and you want two version of it .. one clone stamped and one not stamped.
    Instead of having an 'original.raw' file and an original_clone.raw file, you have the one original.raw file and your software will allow you to see more than one version of it.

But that's way OT .. the question here is why is the software not allowing the saving of the file?
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Some software does allow the edited raw file to be saved in the same format as the original raw.

Nikon's software does, as I'd expect Canon's DPP too allow the same feature also.
    Tried a few different things today, and DPP doesn't seem to offer this. Convert to TIFF and/or JPEG, but won't create a separate RAW.
    Will investigate (and learn) more. Will post If I find different.
    Last edited by Mark L; 02-09-2012 at 10:44pm. Reason: zpellin

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    ..... and DPP doesn't seem to offer this. Convert to TIFF and/or JPEG, but won't create a separate RAW.
    Damned! That'd be annoying if versions(of a raw file) was a feature you wanted to use.

I use versioning in CaptureNX2 often enough that I'm glad it's there. eg. to save a mono version of an image or simply a different crop(16x9 pano format) and so on.
    The image is one and the same no matter how many versions you create, but the image displayed is the last version saved in the software .. and you can only view these versions via CNX2 and no other software.

ViewNX2(Nikon's freeware) allows you to save as, and the default(unless specified) is that using save as will default to the same format as that currently active .. so saving an NEF as another NEF, means that you can keep your original image untouced(if that's important) and then the saved as image becomes your newly edited raw file .. all features for the original are still available for the newly created file.

Saving a new raw file tho is obviously going to add more space demands on your hard drives ... whereas version may only add a few hundred kb's or so to the raw file.

It may not be important now with raw files in the 20-30Mb realm, but as they increase into the 100Mb range(most likely in the next few years) .. if you regularly save multiple copies of a single raw file individually rather than as version, then 5 of those 100Mb files(from the future) is going to require 500Mb alone .. 10 of these and there goes 5Gig .... those 1 Tb drives aren't looking so big any more!

I think Lightroom and PS have versioning features .. never really checked into it much as I use other software.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean non-destructive editing?
    If so, again its not saving the edited RAW file. All the program does is save a copy of the list of editing instruction you applied to the RAW file such that the program can show the effects without altering the original file.
    And as has been mentioned, you then output to a format eg. Tiff or jpeg with the actual edits. The RAWs stay unaltered.
    I'm not familiar with DPP so I'm not sure how DPP tracks the edits and whether its savable.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    I'm not familiar with DPP so I'm not sure how DPP tracks the edits and whether its savable.
    You can save all edits to RAW files, they will be shown in DPP (of cause you can always revert to shot settings and start again if you have saved previous edits). The only RAW edit DPP won't show (without converting) is what you have done with the stamp tool, and thus this is the OP's original problem and reason for posting the question.
    The DPP saved RAW edits won't be shown if you open the edited RAW in another program (as far as I know).
    Last edited by Mark L; 07-09-2012 at 9:40pm. Reason: zpellin