User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firearms and weapons in general used as photographic props.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a difference a few hours make to a thread.

A few points in no particular order.

Jan, your friend has seemingly given you sound advice about using a firearm at her club. They have also possibly told you that along with the other requirements of regular attendance and supervision you will have to obtain a license that matches the category of firearm that you wish to use.

Extraball, some things that happened in the past are no longer allowed due to reasonably recent legislation changes.

Mark, check the wordy definitions in whichever particular state or territory you wish to apply the terms "posses" or "handle" to firearms. In Victoria, if you are handling a firearm you are in possession of it. If you do not have the appropriate license for that category of firearm you are committing an illegal act.
    Just to make you think even more, the same applies to ammunition for said firearms.

Bob, before you go "suspecting" and spending a lot of time typing on rather vague points about whether the various law enforcement bodies in the differing states and territories of this country would or would not be concerned about an image of a person in possession of a firearm I would advise you to thoroughly research the matter because in relation to Victorian law ( where you reside ) you are entirely incorrect. Sorry mate but you are wrong with a capital W. If a police officer is made aware of a potentially illegal act being carried out ( a non licensed person in possession of a firearm or prohibited weapon used as a photographic prop ) then it is their job to be "concerned" and if they sense an easy conviction in court due to photographic evidence ( aint that hilarious, a photographer might be aiding and abetting their own conviction ) then they will probably pursue the matter, after all that is their job.

To all.

Through all this thread Xenedis has simply posted facts, very rationally and knowledgeably, and I suggest that people read and absorb his comments and not get hung up over "ifs and maybes" because his summation of the affairs are correct.

As a reminder, the original thread was created to make people aware that the different states and territories of Australia have differing laws and regulations pertaining to firearms and weapons.
    I have deliberately included the different words, "firearm" and "weapon" because this is a real issue in Victoria due to the fact that "toy" firearms that bear a reasonable resemblance to operable firearms do not fall under the firearms act legislation and regulations any more. They have been deemed to be a weapon and a prohibited one at that. That is an entirely separate act of parliament and is in no way aligned with anything that comes under the firearms act. See https://www.police.vic.gov.au/conten...ument_ID=25574 and click through to a few documents relating to imitation firearms.
    Last edited by I @ M; 23-02-2013 at 4:45am.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    - we were 16, and not eligible to
    carry firearms but not to drive.
    Of course, when you correct a correction you sometimes have to re-correct that...
    "...16, and eligible..."
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post. I have been thinking of a portrait that involves a firearm as a prop. I'll go to my local police station and sort some advice. These will be the guys that will get the call if someone doesnt like what Im up to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andrew, and yes, part of joining the club is to file the proper applications and obtain a license. I'm not sure that I even want one. With regulations so tight, I'm afraid I'd break an unknown law by accident out of old habit, and I don't want to run that risk. Even the wording - as in weapon. Where I was raised, anything is a weapon if used to hurt or kill. A toothbrush can be a weapon if pushed so deep into an eye that it reaches the brain and kills someone. Gun would definitely fall into that broad category - any kind. Too many regulations take the fun out of sport, and living where I do, there is no other reason to have one. If I don't own or touch a gun, I can't break a law pertaining to it - except maybe if I take a photograph.... That's the details I'll have to look into. Maybe a visit to the local police station will solve that mystery. It sounds like as long as my friend is licensed for the gun she is handling in the photo, we'd both be OK.

I'm really glad this subject came up! You've given me some ideas for photos, and alerted me to the legal aspect, all in one thread! Thanks everybody!

- - - Updated - - -

Hehehe... Missed your post, David. Looks like we're thinking along the same lines.
    Janice

'Life is like a camera. Focus on what's important, capture the good things, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, just take another shot.'

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Of course, when you correct a correction you sometimes have to re-correct that...
    "...16, and eligible..."
    We never had firearms when I was a kid (or at least anything we considered to be firearms)—but we did have an old air rifle which was originally used in controlled conditions for supervised target shooting and wound up being used by my brothers and me stalking each other round the bush (we only very rarely actually shot each other). Then my youngest brother decided to take it to school, where it got stolen. Mm. Sometimes I miss the '70s.

Many thanks to Xenedis for his very clear and calm exposition of current Aussie firearms laws.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Many thanks to Xenedis for his very clear and calm exposition of current Aussie firearms laws.
    Thanks Jim, but just to clarify, my area of knowledge pertains specifically to NSW firearms laws.

Laws can and do vary from state to state, but from what I've seen there are also some commonalities between different states' or territories' legislation.

It is the responsibility of licensed shooters to ensure they're compying with the laws of whatever states or territories they're entering.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just come across this thread and as a shooter find it interesting. Obviously you must familiarize yourself with the relevant state legislation and obey it. But quite aside from that there is another consideration. Remember that once you upload a pic is out there in Web land. You can't get it back. So don't take and publish any pictures of your idiot mays holding pistols "chopper reed" or "gangsta" style.
    If they ever get into trouble or any media attention you can guarantee that photo will turn up!

- - - Updated - - -

And as an aside photographing long arms is technically quite difficult to do well so give it a go!

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post
    And as an aside photographing long arms is technically quite difficult to do well so give it a go!
    Just reinforce the point, if you are photographing longarms that are only in your possession then you must have the appropriate license in whichever state of Aus that you are doing the photography to be in control of the firearms.

If you are photographing someone else holding or "possessing" the longarm, they must have the appropriate license.

No ifs, no buts, no maybes.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes indeed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123