User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Update to 5D Mk 111 or 1D MK 1V?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update to 5D Mk 111 or 1D MK 1V?

Thoughts please.

I've been thinking about either updating my 1DMK11n to a 1DMK1V, but with the 5DMK111 know able to shoot at 6 FPS and having everything I think I need to cover what I shoot, Land - Sea scapes and my sons sports, would that be a better way to go?

If I update the 1DMK11n to a 1DMK1V and keep my 50D? This way I have a back up body. I have dedicated APS-C lenses for the 50D, and obviously all my EF lenses will fit either body.

Not sure as to the usefulness of the 1DMK1V with land - sea scapes though. This has normally been the realm of the 5DMK1/2/3 bodies. I do believe the 1D would do this without any concerns though.

The 5DMK111 looks to cover everything, sure need a battery grip for portrait mode sport shooting, the AF I'm guessing shouldn't be a worry, but Bryan Carnathan states it can be cumbersome to get used to in sports situations, and in AI Servo mode. The 1DMk1V wins here.

I do like the feel of a 1D body and have grown used to the controls. So this is another tick in the box for me.

Things I'd like to keep/inherit,
    - Live view
    - at least a FPS rate, or close to that of the 1DMK11n I have.
    - FF
    - Fast/Accurate AF
    - Better ISO capabilities

Side By Side

1DMK1V - 16 Mg APS-H
    5DMK11 - 22.3 Mg FF CMOS

1DMK1V - 100 - 102400 ISO
    5DMK111 - 50 - 102400 ISO Expanded

IDMK1V - 45 Point AF
    5DMK111 - 61 Point AF with up to 41 + type

1DMK1V - 10 FPS
    5DMK111 - 6 FPS

Both have 1080 HD recording, which I will probably never use, but nice to have I guess.

Is anybody using the 5DMK111 for sport, or have they used it and how did you find it?

I guess I'm leaning toward the 1DMK1V, I can't convince myself that the 5DMK111 will do what I want in sports shooting. All the other features of the 5DMK111 sound fantastic.

Thanks in advance.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of difference in the price of these two.
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasn't the 1DIV been discontinued?

I have the 1DMKIV and the 1DX and I cannot tell you the last time I picked up the 1DMKIV. The 5DMkIII is not that far off the 1DX in terms of specs, just the 6fps lets it down if you want to burst shoot.

I would go the 5DmkIII before the 1DmkIV.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    A lot of difference in the price of these two.
    And your point?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    Hasn't the 1DIV been discontinued?

I have the 1DMKIV and the 1DX and I cannot tell you the last time I picked up the 1DMKIV. The 5DMkIII is not that far off the 1DX in terms of specs, just the 6fps lets it down if you want to burst shoot.

I would go the 5DmkIII before the 1DmkIV.
    Yes Fess, it has been discontinued, but I can get a very good SH one with 17912 Shutter Count for around $2600.00 or a GREY 5DMK111 for around $2700.00

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only I was in Perth still I would let you have a play with my mkIV. It is a good camera but I think the modern set are better and FF makes a difference for me as well. I would honestly go the 5D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Roosta;1123333]And your point?
    Not a point just an observation sorry for making it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the 1D Mk4 is crop, 1.3 x so it will give you a little more reach for sport over the 5D.

Other thought is get the 5D Mk3 now and when the 7D Mk2 comes out later this year maybe, then sell the 50D for that and use the 7D mk2 for sports.
    Last edited by Old Skool; 03-03-2013 at 11:41pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
    And the 1D Mk4 is crop, 1.3 x so it will give you a little more reach for sport over the 5D.

Technically the advantage is negated by the numbers of pixels on each sensor.

If you crop the 5DIII image down to an approximately 1.3x FOV, you end up with approximately 16Mp's of image anyhow.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    If only I was in Perth still I would let you have a play with my mkIV. It is a good camera but I think the modern set are better and FF makes a difference for me as well. I would honestly go the 5D
    Thanks again Fess.

[QUOTE=rookie;1123373]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    And your point?
    Not a point just an observation sorry for making it.
    That's what I was wondering Rookie, I know they're both expensive, was wondering where you were going with it mate, that's all. Don't be sorry, I just wasn't sure what you where trying to get across. I'm looking for real feedback from people that may have used the 5DMK111, and or compaired the two bodies.
    Cheers,

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post

Other thought is get the 5D Mk3 now and when the 7D Mk2 comes out later this year maybe, then sell the 50D for that and use the 7D mk2 for sports.
    Cheers Russell, Still waiting to see what format the 7DMK2 will be, guessing APS-C, as the 6D fills the gap, just a shame it's not got a quicker FPS.

My 1DMk11n is APS-H, so i can live with that, no worries, but yeah, FF would be ideal.

Thanks mate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Technically the advantage is negated by the numbers of pixels on each sensor.

If you crop the 5DIII image down to an approximately 1.3x FOV, you end up with approximately 16Mp's of image anyhow.
    I see you've turned Blue AK.
    It's more about the FPS - Focus system and where the 5DMK111 would cut it as a sports body, I just can't get my head around it, to say it would.
    Both (Good) reviews I've read on the 5DMK111, make a note of the very good AF, but also make a note on how fiddly it is for sport. With burst rate down, the chance of keepers was lowered compared to the 1DMK1V.
    I'd love the 1DX, but have to be realistic - or divorced. LOL

It would be great if there was something solid out there on the 7DMK2...
    Last edited by Roosta; 04-03-2013 at 7:34pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The controls on a 1DMkIV are different to the 1DMkII Roosta. For a start you don't have to hold two buttons together to change settings. I've used a couple of 1 series cameras to shoot sport and a 5D Mk III, but not the 1DMkIV. I prefer the focus point set-up from the 1 series. The 5D MkIII has more options, but that is not always a good thing. ISO performance on the 5 is much better than my older model 1. I fill the buffer on the 5 quicker too. BIG files. I don't thonk I'd be buying a MkIV though. Better to wait a while for the 1DX I feel, if you want the big boy.

Cheers,
    Tim

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    The controls on a 1DMkIV are different to the 1DMkII Roosta. For a start you don't have to hold two buttons together to change settings. I've used a couple of 1 series cameras to shoot sport and a 5D Mk III, but not the 1DMkIV. I prefer the focus point set-up from the 1 series. The 5D MkIII has more options, but that is not always a good thing. ISO performance on the 5 is much better than my older model 1. I fill the buffer on the 5 quicker too. BIG files. I don't thonk I'd be buying a MkIV though. Better to wait a while for the 1DX I feel, if you want the big boy.

Cheers,
    Tim
    What sports did you shot with the 5D MK 111 mate, and what was the good/bad please?

Cheers.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wandered along to a bucking bulls night at the local hotel with a friend of mine and shot some of those. Did some track cycling work, nothing too demanding, and no team sports. Not great results at either event. Could have been the light though as both were in dark venues.

I just found the whole process of selecting a focus point and sensitivity etc to be a bit more taxing on the grey matter in general. Obviously, that would be the same for the 1DX as well as it shares those functions with the 5d3. It just takes a bit of getting used to I've found. Little things like the AF points only lighting up red when on a dark background and being black the rest of the time. I'd like to be able to put that back the way it was with say the 1d3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 5D3 is rubbish, because it's not. It did a creditable job, but my keeper rate did go down. I'm just struggling getting used to the changes. I still prefer to pick up a 1D and use that for sport.

Now having said all that, if you were considering buying new, then the 1D4 is more expensive than a new 1DX.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/...y-Only%29.html
    http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com...r-cameras.html
    If you're considering buying secondhand, then the 1D4 would need to be very cheap indeed to make it worth buying over a new 5D3 (grey).

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Wandered along to a bucking bulls night at the local hotel with a friend of mine and shot some of those. Did some track cycling work, nothing too demanding, and no team sports. Not great results at either event. Could have been the light though as both were in dark venues.

I just found the whole process of selecting a focus point and sensitivity etc to be a bit more taxing on the grey matter in general. Obviously, that would be the same for the 1DX as well as it shares those functions with the 5d3. It just takes a bit of getting used to I've found. Little things like the AF points only lighting up red when on a dark background and being black the rest of the time. I'd like to be able to put that back the way it was with say the 1d3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 5D3 is rubbish, because it's not. It did a creditable job, but my keeper rate did go down. I'm just struggling getting used to the changes. I still prefer to pick up a 1D and use that for sport.

Now having said all that, if you were considering buying new, then the 1D4 is more expensive than a new 1DX.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/...y-Only%29.html
    http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com...r-cameras.html
    If you're considering buying secondhand, then the 1D4 would need to be very cheap indeed to make it worth buying over a new 5D3 (grey).
    Thanks for the feedback mate. The 1d4 is a pretty good price with low shutter count.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5d3 is a top camera Roosta, I love it. I find the fps only downside to it.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    The 5d3 is a top camera Roosta, I love it. I find the fps only downside to it.
    Thanks Shelley, it's the Achilles heel at the moment, as is the cost of the 1DX. "One Powerball"