User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 5d Mark iii lens reccomendation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5d Mark iii lens reccomendation

Hi everyone, well after hiring the 5D mark iii a few weeks ago, I have managed to present a case to hubby that warrants buying one Yay ! So our car sale was finalised yesterday and that money is burning a hole in my pocket...

My question... which lens.

There are a few scenarios that I enjoy shooting - flowers, live concerts (always sit in front row), basketball, and family.

I have the f1.8 50mm lens, which I know is a cheapy, but am enjoying it on my current 500D camera, and can still use that on the 5D ?

I hired the 70 - 200 mm lens ( bad move...) I want it... BUT I think I am going to have to settle on a compromise, so considering my shooting preferences, I am thinking of the 100mm f2.8 macro IS USM.

Am I heading in the right direction thought wise ? Upon checking the EXIF data of my live show stuff, the range we shot was between about 80 and 150mm. My thinking is that with the image quality, a compromise on the focal length can be overcome by cropping if I want that nasal shot image.

Any advice appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your 50mm 1.8 will work fine on the 5D3 Naz.

The lens I use most is the 24-105L, and I find it very versatile on my 5D3.
    For the quality it gives, and the fact it has IS in it, it's very good value for money too.
    The 100mm Macro is a great lens, but if you are limited to the lenses you can buy, a zoom lens would be more useful IMHO.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the 5D3

The 50mm f1.8 and the 100mm f2.8 Macro are a nice combo of primes and will serve you well. You may also want to look at a 2x Extender to give you a bit more flexibility.

However, as has been said already a zoom will more than likely give you more flexibility.

Personally, I would go for the above (2x primes plus extender) rather than a compromise zoom and then get the 70-200 f2.8 when you can. You will always use the 50 and the 100 macro will always be of use for macro, so no money wasted on lenses that would become redundant when you get your zoom. If you get the canon 2x extender (Mk III) then that will also play nicely with the 70-200 as and when coffers allow.

The downside of this is that you may find yourself a little compromised at times with regards composition, but that's something I'd be willing to temporarily accept, having the long term objective in mind.

R
    Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventureoverland View Post

The 50mm f1.8 and the 100mm f2.8 Macro are a nice combo of primes and will serve you well. You may also want to look at a 2x Extender to give you a bit more flexibility.

You will have to buy something to go between the extender and lens if you want to use one on those two prime lenses
    Not sure if its the same with other brand extenders though..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what you have mentioned about focal length, maybe the 135mm f/2 L would be good. It is is too expensive considering its excellent performance and quite good build. I bought mine $800 second hand. It can take extenders, ive used with a 1.4x and it was ok. The 135L is also quite small without a hood, nice lens for street and general use.
    It is hard to beat the fast aperture, however the 100mm macro has very good image stabiliser. I would possibly go for the 100mm if you are intending to do some macro, otherwise the extra stop of the 135 is great for speed and also shallow dof.
    Personally have a bias towards primes for thier wide aperture versatility rather than focal length.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nazz, I agree with Benny and think the 24-105 L zoom would be a great choice lens for the 5diii for you, as a great all rounder including concert shoots and maybe a 77mm canon 500d close up lens on the front for closer macro maybe... ??

Hope it helps

Cheers Tropix55

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for your replies The 24 - 105 does sound like a good option. I will weigh them all up, and hit the hubby with my sales pitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said that in your Exif, most of your shots were around 80 - 150mm but this is on a cropped sensor in the 500D so I wonder if you need the extra reach of the 70-200mm lens given that you are now using a full frame camera?

[
    Last edited by FallingHorse; 27-08-2012 at 9:05pm.
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post

You will have to buy something to go between the extender and lens if you want to use one on those two prime lenses
    Not sure if its the same with other brand extenders though..
    Not sure what you mean Mary Anne? I thought the Canon 2x Extender would work on both these EF lenses? Only draw back is you'd loose 2 stops, which with a 1.8 2.8 you can afford (not that you would use it on a 50 of you had the 100 with you!).

Sent using Forum Runner

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said that in your Exif, most of your shots were around 80 - 150mm but this is on a cropped sensor in the 500D so I wonder if you need the extra reach of the 70-200mm lens given that you are now using a full frame camera?
    Sorry, I didn't give all the information there that was on the photos that I took using the 5D mark iii that I hired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventureoverland View Post
    Not sure what you mean Mary Anne? I thought the Canon 2x Extender would work on both these EF lenses? Only draw back is you'd loose 2 stops, which with a 1.8 2.8 you can afford (not that you would use it on a 50 of you had the 100 with you!).

Sent using Forum Runner
    Pretty sure the extenders don't work with any primes 100mm or under - out of Canon's range, 135f2 is the shortest prime you can use an extender with I think.
    Last edited by kobeson; 28-08-2012 at 11:30am.
    Cheers, Daniel
    5D III | 35L | 85Σ| 100L | 50/1.8 | 600EX-RT | Di622 II

facebook

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kobeson View Post

Pretty sure the extenders don't work with any primes 100mm or under - out of Canon's range, 135f2 is the shortest prime you can use an extender with I think.
    I never knew that. Thanks.
    J

Sent using Forum Runner