Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 50d aouto focus problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 50d aouto focus problem

Hi Guys,
    I have a 50d and a 40d. All lenses that I own auto focus on my 40d. No matter what lens I try on my 50d, none of them will even attempt to auto focus. Read some stuff and suggested it might be the fuse on the PCB.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-08-2012 at 7:38pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have removed the photos you placed in your thread. The EXIF suggested you did not take the photos, thus breaching the site rules.

If your 50D will not autofocus, send it to Canon for them to investigate and repair.
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-08-2012 at 7:40pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find my 40D is hard to get to focus perfectly with a Tokina lens, and now use single point rather than multipoint autofocus. We also become tougher on ourselves and motion blur, even minimal amounts, won't pass muster (unless it was on purpose of course). If it just doesn't work - off to Canon!
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you owned the 50 D from new or just purchased it?
    Do you get any error codes?
    Sounds very suspect to me, like Rick mentioned, send it to Canon or if you search (Google) in Canberra there are several shops with links to camera repairs, being local you may already know one..
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick,
    Is it possible that the EXIF data shows a previous owners name if the camera was bought 2nd hand? Would it be worth investigating this and helping as Shayno is a 'beginner'.
    Daniel
    See my work on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ted's in Civic were fantastic with getting my Canon fixed, but that was under warranty and I bought it through them, whereas this may or may not be a warranty issue for you. But they definitely know their stuff, and got it back to me very fast. But that's if you're in Canberra, as your location says Wallacia, which isn't in the ACT.

If you are in Canberra and want to test a lens that I know works on a 60D to see if it works on your 50D give me a shout and I'll happily meet up and bring my gear along for you to try.
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 31-08-2012 at 3:51pm.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder if it was a camera purchased second hand and the previous owners data was still in the camera??? Just realised one of my cameras will be kicking around with my EXIF data on it (coincidentally a 50D, but definitely not that one, as it is in Brisvegas). I didn't do a factory reset on it and I doubt the new owners know how to change it. Funny!

- - - Updated - - -

ahh... Just noticed someone else suggested the same thing. Not sure how I missed that! Anyway, Shayno should try cleaning the contacts on the camera body first, before taking it in for repair. Also, try a factory reset on the camera. I know my 50D had a couple of interesting glitches, but pretty sure I just reset the camera to factory defaults and it was fine. It was a very nice camera and I wish I'd kept mine as a second body, as it would have saved me later splashing out for a 7D.