Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Q about focus micro-adjustment

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q about focus micro-adjustment

I have done some micro adjustment on an AF lens I have and now it seems to work OK in AF mode.

So if you're not in AF mode, do you just focus as normal?

This seems to be the case, but I want to be sure, especially when using manual lenses.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yes. use visual focus, as per normal. You do not need to compensate for the micro adjustments as they are for the AUTO-FOCUS system
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-08-2012 at 3:36pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick. That means one of my long (legacy type) lenses is just not much chop.
    BTW, the AF lens is a Sigma 30mm/1.4 DC. When I first got it I thought I had made a mistake. Now it's OK though.
    Am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you find the process of doing the micro adjustment? Was it painless or a nightmare?

I am pretty certain my Sigma 50-500 is in need of micro adjustment, just a little concerned about doing it and messing the rest of the camera setting up

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was pretty easy once I had set up the chart at the 45deg angle. I found it had a -2 (or -3?) adjustment. Before that I tended to use MF only.

But it all depends on how finicky the process is on your camera. I found it pretty straightforward.

-OH! About mucking things up, I doubt that you would do it easily. The camera will remember the lens and its setting when you put it on.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy but can be time consuming to get it right,trial and error I havn`t seen any way to adjust apart from trial and error.

When you do this use minimum aperture, or the DOFF becomes larger and harder to judge the adjustment, and the DOF isn`t as important at larger apertures.

The Pentax cameras have the ability to adjust a single lens, or all of them,if you adjust a lens and run out of adjustment you can dial in the body adjustment for all lenses,but then you will have to do every lens again.

Jack.
    Last edited by pixy; 26-08-2012 at 4:48pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I am pretty certain my Sigma 50-500 is in need of micro adjustment, just a little concerned about doing it and messing the rest of the camera setting up
    Different Canon bodies have different micro-adjustment parameters. One of mine doesn't recognise that I have a teleconverter attached and recognises only the lens. The new 5D3 recognises not only the lens, but also the individual TC's and has a setting for the wide end and the tele end of each combo. Sheesh!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fess67,
    I micro adjusted my 120-400 at 400 as this is where I use it most.
    Method,
    I placed the camera on a tripod and placed five spice jars about 20cm apart at 10 mtrs distant so I could focus on the centre one and tell which of the others where OOF.
    Then I took pictures by timer at adjustment increments of 5 ( from +20 to -20 ).
    Went to the computer and inspected them and set the micro adjust to the best picture result.
    The micro adjust only affects the lens that is tested - no others.
    I have all my lenses adjusted and the camera knows which one is fitted.

Hope this helps. (for Nikon)
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates