Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5D mark iii grey import or aus stock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5D mark iii grey import or aus stock

hi guys

just about to purchase a new 5d mkiii but i not sure whether i should buy from Ryda in parramatta for $3750 or from e global for $2800

has anyone used eglobal and if so was there a import tax payable upon delivery and is it just the 10%? and whats the go with the warranty? if it breaks will i get it fixed?

your help with this is appreciated

thanks matt
    Canon 5D MKiii / Sony A7Rii / Canon 16-35mm f 4 L /Canon EF 24-70mm f-2.8 L USM / Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM / SIGMA 50mm F14. ART

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    ...whats the go with the warranty? if it breaks will i get it fixed?...
    At that price difference it's a real poser. On this bit alone:
    Yes!!!
    But not by Canon in Australia.
    But who cares as long as it's fixed.

Happy decisions.
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 22-08-2012 at 6:24pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think eGlobal have a local repairer. So you will have to send it back to HK. Whereas DWI do, so it stays in OZ for repairs. Also DWI has a local contact number. Worth the extra $65 I reckon.
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is in NO way an anti grey import post.

Matt, do the mathematics logically.

The camera will arrive to you with insured postage for AU$2,923.16 and a maybe few $$ added on for either foreign currency conversion on your credit card or pa$pal conversion fees.

I assume that you would use an insured form of postage for such an item rather than risking ( it is all up to YOU with freight ) your money on uninsured postage.

The worst case scenario is that customs examine your item, look at what they sell for in Australia and impose GST at 10% of a common Australian retail price as they are entitled to do under the import legislation.

That means that your original figure has now had between $375.00 and $415.00 added to it. Then of course they have been known to charge a fee for their time taken to administer the GST. That I believe is around the $60.00 mark.

So if we add the GST component to the imported price we get $3298.16 at the lesser retail price and no fees added. Of course, the price goes Northwards a little more if they calculate Australian retail prices on those advertised by dearer dealers than Ryda and then add their fees.

Yes, you are still saving dollars on the original purchase and even more if it doesn't get pinged for GST on the way in ( it seems that not many items do get hit for it going by anecdotal evidence of o/seas purchases ) so it really is up to you.

A bit like taking your wage packet to the pokies on a Friday night and waking up Saturday morning either knowing you don't really have to go to work for the next week or figuring out that you need to do some o/time to keep the mortgage holder happy.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! All the ins and outs, Andrew. Something to consider, I must say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, check out d-p-d in North Sydney. Grey, but has repair ability and genuine camera shop here in the city and service has always been first class. Ryda simply shift (all sorts of) boxes. Having said that, Ive bought stuff from Ryda in the past, but choose to get my camera gear from D-P-D or DCW.

Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh here we go with the GST debate again. Has anyone here actually been slugged with GST/customs fee with an expensive item from DWI and Eglobal yet?

I havent..........Im curious to know who has.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    E Global state "No hidden charges, No surcharges" I am not associated yahdee yaa..... A few years ago I had to pay customs and import duty plus GST on a 7D. bought from digital review The camera and 2 kit lenses cost me an extra $300 to $500. but I was still way infront of local prices. This was before the GLUT of "E" stores available now. The stores are more refined today and the consumer a lot more savvy to any additional charges. AS always buyer beware and do some research like asking questions on forums like this. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys for the feedback

i was worried about the whole gst thing but i think it would be worth the risk to save a few dollars. i was even thinking about odering the 17-40mm lens first and see how that goes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've watched this thread with great interest as I am currently pondering the same questions, to purchase the same camera. So you're gonna do it ??? I'm pretty sure we will head down that path in the very near future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    hi guys

just about to purchase a new 5d mkiii but i not sure whether i should buy from Ryda in parramatta for $3750 or from e global for $2800

has anyone used eglobal and if so was there a import tax payable upon delivery and is it just the 10%? and whats the go with the warranty? if it breaks will i get it fixed?

your help with this is appreciated

thanks matt

try this bloke...he imports Grey and on sells with his own warranty.. he's in Perth and has quite a large FB following who swear by his service etc...

so as the body is already here no GST..but check that first with him ...

http://mycamerafocus.com.au/product_...roducts_id=235
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend that folks following this thread look at the Terms and Conditions of the sellers, as well as the anecdotes of the posters above. More than one of the sellers mentioned above state in the terms and conditions that GST and Customs charges are not included in the price and are the responsibility of the buyer. Yes, I know that few have had to pay, but there is no certainty that you won't be one of the "few".

http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com...onditions.html See Sections 11 & 15
    http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/...e-and-sale.asp See Sections 14 & 18
    http://www.digitalrev.com/help/terms...MTg2NzcwNg_A_A See Sections 4 & 8

As in everything, Buyer beware. I've bought my last four EOS bodies from a grey importer (the same one in fact) and all of my lenses from grey importers (different ones).

Cheers,
    Tim

PS. The seller I ended up using again to buy my 5DMkIII was DDPhotographics. The gear shipped to me from Sydney, not directly from OS and GST was included in the price.
    Last edited by Warbler; 23-08-2012 at 10:20am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought quite a bit of 'grey' gear from o'seas retailers with little trouble BUT before buying a lens I would consider carefully and read this article first published in 2008
    http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-arti...d-other-myths/
    When buying locally you are able (usually) to try the lens with your camera first and see how they function together. Believe me paying that little bit extra is better than having, sitiing in your cupboard, an expensive lens which produces only 'furry' images with your camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow what a logical train. I have a 40D and am "convinced" it shoots "soft" with some of my lenses, compared with the 300D I started with. My local camera store in Adelaide does a good job of matching true internet prices and gives you the time you need to test what you might buy. When I can get a new camera - the more it costs the more inclined I would be to take my lenses to the shop!
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate I have bought some items on grey, a couple of flashs and some remote triggers and such and a lens - a good experience on at all times. But only because I couldn't get my regular camera stores to get anywhere near the DWI price. But in my experience, on three occasions I have managed to barter the store down to within a few dollars of the total grey delivered cost of items over $1000. Example was my 24-105 which I got with 5yr local repair warranty for $1050 from a Brisbane camera store which at the time was within $100 of the gray market price. My buddy got the same store down within $200 of the gray delivered price (he assumed he would pay custom gst charges) so when you consider the add on costs of the more expensive items you may not save much.
    In my experience the cheaper items such as flash, remote triggers etc you cant bargain down much but on the more substantial items like L glass lens and camera bodies it is totally worth going hard at the camera store to get your best price. Not only that, I get great pleasure in setting my buy price and then bartering with the store to get it down.

I understand some do feel uncomfortable in haggling but give it a try, you may be surprised. I often get a print out quote and go from store to store to get the best buy :-)

My two bobs worth, :-)
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just paid for my 5d iii ,will be here Friday ..I looked around and ended up supporting my local shop but did look around and asked to better his price which he did ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my 5D3 from Myers for $3528.00 and obviously it came with full local warranty etc., and they even gave me a $75 gift card with it too!

I know it sounds strange to buy a camera like this from Myers, but they were having a 20% off sale on all camera gear, so I asked if I could order one of these and still get the discount, and the answer was yes.
    At the time, it was hardly dearer than buying grey.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has anyone bought off this company australian and there prices are insane
    http://www.becextech.com.au/catalog/...=35_39&&page=3

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbosaxon View Post
    The prices seem pretty much on a par to most of the other grey import prices from the items that I looked at.
    They don't appear on the Nikon web site as authorised dealers so I assume that they are just drop shipping imported gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some research on them last week when I was doing the same as you are. You might find this helpful. The reviews are mixed... http://www.productreview.com.au/p/be...stralia/2.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast