Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Bird ID please

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bird ID please

Found a whole flock of these at Monkerai near Gloucester NSW and can't seem to find any ID through my admittedly limited resources. Can anyone offer a suggestion? I know it's not a good shot. That's why I've put it in the Not for Critique section. Thanks in advance.

riverwood_6476.jpg
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo! Thanks, Richard. I was hoping that's what it was. There was a FLOCK of about 5 or 6 of these just outside our door when we stayed around Gloucester last weekend. I can't believe there were so many! Thanks again, mate.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich is correct ! but forgot to mention it is also identified as "delicious 4" on the Mongo Richter scale of culinary desirability.

Image wise, you may not have noticed but the ends of the buffalo grass are typically a purple/blue colour in varying strengths and a perfect scattered backdrop for the naturally occurring colours of this bird. Nicely done Waz

Mongo knows this is not for critique but hopes you do not mind him telling about a gimmicky little filter in Neat Image noise software call "slightly sharpen out of focus image". It sounds silly but as an adjunct tool it can be half helpful now and then. It is not meant to be a serious tool to fix focus to any high degree but where only a slight focus adjustment is needed, it can actually give reasonably acceptable fix. Mongo applied it to this image to see what effect it would have. Mongo thinks it has helped only just a little. Mongo thought the members might be interested to know about this feature and is not sure if it exists with similar software.

riverwood_6476.jpg
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo knows this is not for critique but hopes you do not mind him telling about a gimmicky little filter in Neat Image noise software call "slightly sharpen out of focus image". It sounds silly but as an adjunct tool it can be half helpful now and then. It is not meant to be a serious tool to fix focus to any high degree but where only a slight focus adjustment is needed, it can actually give reasonably acceptable fix. Mongo applied it to this image to see what effect it would have. Mongo thinks it has helped only just a little. Mongo thought the members might be interested to know about this feature and is not sure if it exists with similar software.
    Well, they DID look delicious, mongo. Someone else may have thought so, too, because they were gone the next day!

That little piece of software did a nice job of recovering the results of my too slow shutter speed, too long focal length and too shaky hands first thing in the morning! Thanks for contributing, mongo. Next time I'll shoot first and salivate later!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing that mongo. Been wondering what I could do in some of slightly "noisy" shots
    Never give up, never, never, never....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky to get so close, I find them very skittish.
    Daniel

Flickr
    K-5, P3n, ZX-L, DA 12-24mm, DA* 16-50mm, DA* 50-135mm, DA* 300mm, F 50mm 1.4, FA 77mm Limited, A 100mm 2.8 macro, A 50mm 2.8 macro, K 55mm 1.8