Thread: 5d mkiii or 7D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5d mkiii or 7D

Ok, have the opportunity to upgrade as my sister is buying my 550d and tamron lens.

I am tempted to go with the 5d mkiii, but need to consider the 7d as well.

A couple of reasons for upgrading...

> I want less noise, particularly in lower light (the 550d sucks when I shoot basketball inside at 800 or higher iOS)

> I want a faster shutter rate (than 3.7)

I really like the idea of moving to full frame. The increased fps of the 5dmkiii is good too, as is the autofocus.

However, the cost over a 7d is quite a bit more, almost enough to add a 70-200 f/2.8 L...

What kind of photos do I do? Apart from the usually family, I enjoy travel shots, street, sport, landscape.... Most in other words!

If I went the 5d, I can save up for the lens and get on the next year or so, but if I went the 7d and lens, the time between body upgrades would be years...

What advice can you offer to assist with my decision?

Cheers

Keiron
    Epicaricacy
    Canon 5Dmkiii and a variety of lenses and other bits and pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 7D wil be replaced shortly and the 5D3 is still a new model.
    There is quite a difference in between the Digic 4 processor and the Digic 5.

I moved from a 60D, and as it uses the same sensor as the 7D, the picture quality is very similar, but I have not liked its high ISO performance noticing some noise even at 800 ISO, but the 5D3 is amazing at high ISO's.
    The focussing is almost instantaneous on the 5D3, especially with L lenses, and the images are just so nice and rich compared to the 7D.

I really did notice the difference in image quality between the 2 as the images from the 5D3 are almost 3D and the subtle shade differences in skin and other thngs really does make a diference.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi my brother has a 5D3 and he upgraded from the 7d, I have played with both and the difference is chalk and cheese, do yourself a favour and get the 5d3
    Last edited by flyreels; 21-08-2012 at 10:39am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want good iso performance, I would advise against the 7D!
    However, having said that, it depends on what you want to do with the images - if it's just for web and sharing then the 7D will still be good enough - but if it's for prints (especially large prints) and other more 'non-personal purposes', I'd fork out for the mk3.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For mine, without question I'd go to the 5D3. Based equally on what you want to shoot (except for sports), the lens you currently have (not EF-S) and your want for ISO performance. The 7D was touted as having great ISO performance, which is definitely does - for a APS-C sensor.

Plus once you start thinking, as you have, about wanting a full-frame... you'll never be satisfied until you have it.
    Wedding photographer shooting Canon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone who bags the 7D's noise performance is someone who's never actually
    owned one. It kills all the other Canon's before it. Sure, the 5D II and the 5D III are better,
    but they're different beasts, at substantially higher cost. Saying the 7D is only good for
    web sharing is ridiculous.

That said, for the type of shooting you seem to do most, I'd go for the 5D III. The 7D is
    great for wildlife, transport etc.

Cheers,
    Jason.
    7D, 350D and some glass

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Koputai, I have owned a 7D and shot it side by side with 5dmk2 for weddings , landscapes, stars (and now comparing to the mk3)
    I would not offer a print for canvas for a client shot at 1600 iso in dark reception light with the 7D.
    The 7D on the other hand performs incredibly well for its sensor size for landscapes with the 10-20sigma -BUT, I wouldn't even think of shooting stars with it apart from possibly star trails. (for instance, our sales for landscape prints before we got the 5dmk3 were split fairly evenly between 7D and 5dmk2 shots)

Perhaps I wasn't being clear - I'm only talking about high iso performance referring to the full frame models , not general performance- it's true that it's high iso performance is better than the previous aPS-C models but having upgraded from the 40D, I was disappointed at how marginal those particular benefits were. Perhaps I'm a pixel peeper and paranoid , but I stand by my comment that I would not offer high iso prints /sales at any size above 12X8" unless I intentionally wanted a grainy look. Hence the comment about displaying on web and sharing images. You're welcome to disagree but this is my experience I wanted to share with the OP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5d2 ?
    cheaper... its the full frame you want... still a great camera

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did consider the 5d mkii rowdy, but a variety of reasons made me think that I would be far better off going the 3. Noise capabilities and autofocus systems were probably the main ones.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered the mkiii... Can't wait!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll love it!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you finding the 5D MkIII - I agonised about buying a full frame (I would have had to save up). I ended up buying a 7D and so far I love it. One day I will buy a full frame camera - if only I could win Lotto LOL.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thrilled with the noise capabilities - blows my 550d out of the water, and makes it worthwhile for me! Still coming to grips with the complex auto-focus, and enjoying the wider frames I can get with my 24-105. But the ISO performance for me is the killer feature. I'll post some sports shots I took up soon for critique...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see some photos. Maybe you can email me at craftyonetutu@gmail when you do so I don't miss them.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bang for your buck = 7D. Money not a problem 5Diii. Both are very capable cameras, I shoot mainly sport, birds and wildlife, I have printed quite a few shots at 12x18 and 8x24 and have been more than happy with them. I am so pleased with the 7D. I am thinking of getting a second one to replace the ageing 400d back up camera, Re the 7D being replaced soon the main consensus is not for a while, not after the recent big firmware update anyway. But I still will not make up my mind till after this months announcements.
    Keith.