Thread: eGlobal | big ticket item purchase

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eGlobal | big ticket item purchase

Hi all,

I've finally saved up some serious coin and am looking at blowing it all at once on a Canon 500mm f4 IS Series I lens!

Not many places still have these available, but eGlobal is one that does..

So.. should I be nervous about purchasing such a big ticket item from the likes of eGlobal? I've read the feedback threads here and on Whirlpool and the good seems to outweigh the bad.. BUT I'm still a bit hesitant due to the $ amount of the purchase circa ~$7800 including insured shipping.

I know that as this is grey market I am likely up for GST as well, but am I right to be concerned about such a big ticket item from eGlobal? I'd be interested in your thoughts guys.

Cheers,
    Adam
    Last edited by piXelatedEmpire; 20-08-2012 at 8:31pm.
    Adam
    Adam Blyth Photography

Canon 5D III | EF 24-70mm f2.8L II USM | EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM | EF Extender 1.4x III | 580 EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be checking they have it in -stock before sending any dough via their online shopping cart, just to be sure it's not just still in their database given it has been superseded. Pay by credit card to be sure..

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah will check stock availability and would definitely pay by CC (probably PayPal) for security.

Edit: turns out they have no stock but could order one from Canon if I pay for it now. However they cannot guarantee Canon have anymore (and will take 1 month to determine this!), so I certainly wont be proceeding with the transaction and pay such a sum of money with no guarantee I'll get the stock.
    Last edited by piXelatedEmpire; 21-08-2012 at 9:50am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piXelatedEmpire View Post
    Yeah will check stock availability and would definitely pay by CC (probably PayPal) for security.

Edit: turns out they have no stock but could order one from Canon if I pay for it now. However they cannot guarantee Canon have anymore (and will take 1 month to determine this!), so I certainly wont be proceeding with the transaction and pay such a sum of money with no guarantee I'll get the stock.
    Hence my suggestion to double check stock. It is a common thing (deliberate? Who knows) for cheap market suppliers to leave superseded (usually cheaper than the new model) high end products in their database where you can order it and then they have your $$ earning some interest while they much you about for a month, then they put the hard sell on you to stump up the extra for the new model and given they already have the majority of your cash, I guess some would be tempted if they have some spare cash laying about.