Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Picture style

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picture style

Hi guys,

I was wondering what picture style you guys use?

I was thinking of using one of the user defined picture style and set the sharpness to max (which is 7) and then get the contrast to 1.. Just wondering if it would be a good idea to do that? As of the moment, i mainly shoot portraits of my partner and our daughter.. Occassionally other things..

I know you can change them on PP after but i wanted to do as less PP as possible..
    Still learning the craft...

Canon 60D (gripped), 18-200mm f3.5-5.6, 50mm f1.8, 24-105mm f4L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 430ex II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use a picture style, and I actually don't myself....start to learn your own style. Shoot in RAW and get to learn your chosen editing software (I use Lr4 and it is awesome). If you have good exposure, correct aperture, learn to read the histogram (for clipped highlights etc), then you really don't need to do much PP afterwards.....but PP is always needed to get the look YOU want, not what the camera THINKS you want.

You really can't grow and learn without throwing away the automatics and delving into the manual side of things.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, it's OK to want to set things up in camera and minimise PP. Diffren' strokes for diffren' folks.

You can of course play around as much as you want, but I thought one of the main things about picture styles was that the style itself sets an appropriate sharpness and contrast level.

For example, you mentioned shooting portraits a lot. The Portrait picture style sets sharpness not too high because that produces attractive portraits -- so to set sharpness to 7 at the same time seems to work against the picture style.