User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera batteries and the need for a spare or spares.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should always have a spare for days like my own wedding when I forgot to charge my only battery.

It went flat in under 10 shots.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did manage to kill the original Canon battery that came with my 300D! I use both genuine & aftermarket and have no problem with them. Whenever I get a new battery it gets a sticker on it with date of first charge. This lets me (a) rotate the batteries & (b) know when they're getting a bit long in the tooth.
    With the med format digital backs genuine batteries start at$130, so I do use aftermarket - about $30 by comparison. With both the Pahse One & Leaf I found they are a bit 'loose' and can lose connection so I carry the high- tech solution - thick rubber bands - in the camera bag.
    I like to have at least two betteries per body / back.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have four batteries, both Nikon and third party. Strangely, the third party ones have a higher rating than the Nikons, but it's not really noticeable. All have been going strong for three years or so.

Similar to Odille, I put a sticker on mine and record the date of charging. Although just an indication of age, it lets me rotate around the least used batteries.

Only once I've had a battery run absolutely flat out in the field, but I did have a spare with me. I've left the camera turned on and plugged into the computer overnight. That ran the battery flat; presumably as the USB controller on the camera was drawing power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a big shoot coming up soon where I will need to use 3 bodies, so I went out to Master Instruments in Marrickville (who used to be customers of mine) and bought a couple of batteries for my Canons.
    Cheap too at $33.00 each, and when I got home, I put them into the Canon chargers, and they do have a chip in them as the charger and the camera recognises them just like original Canon batteries.
    If you have an ABN, they will also sell to you.
    I also bought some Sanyo Eneloops from them, as they are the importers, and saved around 30% on retail.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought Sterlingtek batteries for my 30D & 40D and they are reliable as. I shoot airshows a lot and a set of Sterlingteks in my grip will run my 100-400L all day using IS and AI Servo focusing without going flat and they are 4 years old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12