User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

View Poll Results: Are product information 'leaks' genuine or are they clever marketing

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I reckon the companies themselves are behind the leaks of new product information

13 81.25%
  • I don't really care as long as i get to read the rumours.

3 18.75%
  • I reckon they are genuine with people leaking stuff just be chance

0 0%

Thread: Are internet 'leaks' really unofficial or is it smart advertising

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are internet 'leaks' really unofficial or is it smart advertising

Almost weekly we hear of something being 'leaked' about a new product and this is certainly the case from the Camera companies. I just wondered what members think about these leaks. Are they really just someone in a factory, somewhere, sneaking a bit of information, maybe a quick photo of a prototype or an production test model and these people put them on the net for all. OR are they carefully orchestrated marketing by the brands to get information out there that is 'not supposed to be out there', as a clever and cheap way of advertising. After all, once the tit-bits of information are out there, or a photo or two, they develop their own life and spread about the net, including on AP. Marketers could not have it better, free advertising!

So do you think these leaks are genuinely just someone in the right place giving out a bit of information, or are they carefully planned and orchestrated as marketing?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I don't know; but it does strike me as clever for companies to generate interest in their products by carefully controlling the release of information in the form of ostensible leaks.

A few times, people have reported seeing a new lens or camera on Canon's Web site. Whether this was an accidental early publication or an act of dangling an apple in front of a horse, I cannot tell; but it did generate buzz.

Over the years I've observed that people love to speculate about the release of the next <whatever>.

Personally, I tend not to pay much attention to rumours, or particularly stay on the cutting edge of technology or popular culture/products/whatever, as I care little and have plenty else to do. :-)

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't vote in the poll, 'cause I reckon it's a combination of a and b.
    I don't do c.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that it's smart advertising, but I don't really know. I do like the rumours though!

Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with b but i think its a and b but mostly b because you cant always be somewear at the right time lol.
    Jimmy!!!
    Nikon D3400 18-55mm kit lens AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f4-5.6G ED VR 2 tri-pods

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the "bit of A and B" camp as well.

As for the rumours, sometimes they have been pretty close to the mark and at other times totally Ken Rockwoolish.
    Last edited by I @ M; 22-08-2012 at 7:34am.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being very cynical I believe that the companies are responsible for the so called 'leaks'. Let's face it, these days certain people seem to want to have the 'latest and greatest' of everything...so leak a bit about a new upcoming product, stick it on Youtube (or some other website) and maybe it will go 'viral' (although these days it seems that almost anything can go viral!) and Hey Presto! instant (and free) hype. If you are really lucky one of the so-called Current Affairs programs on TV will pick it up ( 'You can see more of this story on our website' is an often used quote from one of these programs), or even the News if it has been a slowish day (particularly the commercial networks) and you get even more hype...and let's face it, there is nothing that the 'Jump on the bandwagon' set like more than product hype.
    The advertising people have so many avenues these days that it makes influencing the 'latest and greatest' set very easy.
    <Sigh> .....Like lambs to the slaughter.
    Last edited by wanderer51; 22-08-2012 at 8:42pm. Reason: Spelling
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some by accident, a lot by deliberate viral marketing.
    It's something that work at a very low cost.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff