User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Anonymous Critic - with a twist!

Ausphotography's Anonymous Critic anonymous critic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anonymous Critic - with a twist!

Hello AP members!

Back from New Zealand, had a great time, made the client happy, all is good in my world, even with volcanic eruptions!

I have just been having a long conversation with Rick and the mods. I have a very busy period coming up and I am afraid that this might impact my ability to provide regular CC for your competition entries. On the plane home from the land of the long white cloud I got to thinking about my role and primarily I came on board at the request of Rick and the team to try to get AP members improving their own critiquing, using a 'leading by example methodology'. I am not 100 percent convinced that it is doing so.

Whilst it is wonderful to see you embracing my critiques and the appreciation you have for what I am doing, I still would love to see you working harder at giving higher quality constructive critique to each other.

So my conversation with the team was to bounce around a few ideas, including one that was offered up in my thread asking for feedback on the CC I was giving. They gave me some feedback that meant I could continue in my role on Ausphotography, and accommodate the time and effort that is required to run my own business. Between us, and with thanks to anon for the original suggestion, we came up with a better way for me to provide you the guidance that I am here for.

Once the "Family" photo of the week is done, and my critiques on that competition are posted for you, tomorrow night, I will not be critiquing another competition for a while.

What I will be doing is critiquing photos that you put up for critique in the constructive critique forums.

When time permits, I will be looking at the forums and seeking out a member who has provided a great critique to another member. I will be taking into account your Ausphotography Experience Level, when I look at your critique efforts, so beginners will be chosen just as often as advanced members. When I find a member who has provided some critique that is well written and provides a great example of a critique, I will then be seeking out a photo by that member. That photo will then be given the Anonymous Critic Experience.

I might contact you and let you know that you have been chosen, as I may want to get permission to edit your photo to show you exactly what I mean with my critique, but I also may not contact you, and the first you will know is that my critique appears in your photo thread. I will be using your edit statement in your profile to decide if I need to contact you for permission, or not! I will be editing the thread title so that members know I have given you the "AC Experience", just by looking at your thread title.

This new way of giving my services to AP will allow me to participate as much, or as little, as I can over any given short period of time. So you might see a critique from me every day for a few days, or you might see only one or two a week. This will allow me to work within my own personal and business commitments and not be set to a deadline to get a bunch of critiques out, by Sunday evening, as I need to do for the competitions.

It will also allow me to reward members whom I feel have given their own best, at providing critique to others. When I post my critique, I will be linking to the post that got my attention and made me want to return the favour to a member.

So if YOU want a visit from Anonymous Critic on one of your photos soon, you need to be prepared to give good, constructive critiques yourself. Remember that I do not expect a beginner to be posting advanced editing ideas etc in a critique. I will be looking for those that have made a real effort, for their experience level, at giving another AP member the benefit of great critique. Beginners, Intermediate, Advanced will all get an equal chance to be part of this.

I look forward to giving this changed role a go and finding a well thought out critique by someone and then providing them with an AC critique as a thank you. I hope this will encourage each and every one of you to go that little further when providing critique and that you learn from my critiques on your photos as well.

Bring it on!!!
    Providing Anonymous Critique to the Ausphotography members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a great way, thanks to Anon suggestion, to 'encourage' everyone here on AP to try to improve the way they critique members images, myself very much included. Thanks AC for the great critiques you have given through the comps, I have enjoyed reading them immensely. Now I'm looking forward to this new way you will be critiquing the critiques and their images.

Moderately Super Debra Faulkner's Avatar
    Marlo, a small coastal town in the far east of
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree that it has been great to have the comps critiqued. I also think it's a really good idea to critique in this new way too. Thanks AC
    Nikon F65, D50, D200, D700

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a wonderful idea, and even better you are wonderful to give us your time Thanks AC..

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your efforts AC ....I think the new method will be great
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A well thought out and Devious plan AC
    My reaction after reading only half your post was "WOW a chance to have AC give CC on one of MY photos. " I'll be in that .
    Thanks for sticking by us mere mortals AC.
    EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks AC. I think the two way street idea is what should have happened in the first place. As in.. If you give good critique, you should also get good critique in return.
    And as I have said in previous threads. It's not only the critique that is important, it's the encouragement from others that make it all worth while.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so green I need someone to critique my critiques.
    I appreciate how time consuming it must be and thank you in advance. I will eagerly look out for your critiques and the links.
    Been here, not done that.