Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Japan and camera gear pricing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Japan and camera gear pricing

Hey there everyone!

Curiously, say that I'm headed to Japan for a holiday, and I want to get new gear for the trip (Canon/Nikon only). Is it cheaper to buy the camera gear in Japan? Or cheaper to get it from an online retailer sending from Hong Kong (like I've bought my gear from numerous times before).

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked the Yodobashi Camera site. As an example, the 5D MkIII sells for $4331 body only.
    Other retailers in Japan would have similar pricing.

Cheers,
    Jason.
    7D, 350D and some glass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 word regarding current camera pricing in Japan = CRAP!

I wrote a post regarding camera prices at popular places around the world a week or two ago. Currently prices in Japan and Singapore is crap, Hong Kong is ok, US is great still. But atm online stores such as DWI selling grey imports to Australia is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying retail overseas, even cheaper than buying from HK where DWI is from.

Currently a new 5DMKIII body on DWI is selling for $2865 AUD.......hard to beat that really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prob a bit like buying Swiss watches in Switzerland
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New 5DMKIII bodies were on sale on the weekend for $2700 from shopping square, thats the best I have seen them

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only advantage of buying in Japan is you get just released gear from Japanese companies first and there doesn't seem to be any shortages of supply of popular products unlike the rest of the world.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    forget it, buy it here. Some great prices on accessories though depending on what you might be interested in. filters, etc.

have a great holiday. we had an awesome time and going back next year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience shopping in Den Den Town in Osaka a few years ago was that some gear was cheaper, but it was Japanese language only. If you wanted something with other languages (like English), you might as well buy it elsewhere.

Don't forget to take the opportunity to buy in Aus and refund the GST through the TRS scheme.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought a couple of items from Japan via the internet. While not a direct comparison, pricing was high. Only bought from Japan as stuff not yet available in Oz.

Sometimes pricing here better than you imagine, eg Voightlander (made in Japan by Cosina), my 25mm f/0.95 about 25% cheaper here than anywhere else.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow! Thanks everyone!

I'll have to read in to that TRS scheme thing, no clue what it is, but if it means a refund of sorts that's awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing about camera gear and Japan is the accessories. Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo has about 5 floors of gear and just down the street is another shop that has several floors of mint condition used cameras, 1930's German gear, 50's Nikon ... Not only are all the imaginable accessories lenses, filters, bags, reflectors, studio gear in stock every variant/colour is there to look and hold. Bic Camera in Osaka even had a 1000mm sigma lens set up on a camera that you could have a play with. So while you mightn't save any money you certainly get the feeling of a kid in a lolly shop.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome! See, Japan has so much cool stuff. There are a few second hand wheel and part shops for cars that I want to go to, one in particular is multi story and awesomely priced.
    Unfortunately I may also be too broke for that AND a camera store but who cares! It'll be awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza999 View Post
    Best thing about camera gear and Japan is the accessories. Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo has about 5 floors of gear and just down the street is another shop that has several floors of mint condition used cameras, 1930's German gear, 50's Nikon ... Not only are all the imaginable accessories lenses, filters, bags, reflectors, studio gear in stock every variant/colour is there to look and hold. Bic Camera in Osaka even had a 1000mm sigma lens set up on a camera that you could have a play with. So while you mightn't save any money you certainly get the feeling of a kid in a lolly shop.
    That used to be cool when I used to work there, but after discovering the major 6 story photographic mall in Shanghai - forgot its name - its even better than what Japan offers now. Due to the sheer amount of Chinese 3rd party accessories being sold new and 2nd hand. You can buy direct from Yongnuo and Phottix for example there, at much cheaper prices than what you can get on Ebay, not to mention other brands for accessories and lighting/studio gear. The top 2 floors are for 2nd hand cameras and lenses so its filled with entry level to high end stuff at very affordable 2nd hand prices.