Thread: Heading to Africa

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heading to Africa

Some exciting news from me:

We're off to Africa in a few months (October).

This unexpected trip has been on the agenda for a while now, as a friend is getting married in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, and we were invited to the wedding.

Naturally it's a fantastic opportunity to see and photograph wildlife and landscapes in Africa.

We've booked all of our flights, and have connected with an excellent photographer I discovered on 500px.com, who runs photographic safaris in southern Africa.

He has put together a custom four-day, private photographic safari in Kruger Park, just for us. Kruger is the African answer to Australia's own Kakadu National Park: it's the place to go for the quintessential experience, including the 'Big Five', consisting of lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants and buffalo. There'll probably be plenty of giraffes and zebras wandering around, too.

Of course, Africa has a lot more to offer, but for logistical reasons we are limited to a very rapid two-week trip, so we're trying to make the most of the time we have there, and will remain only in South Africa.

Upon arriving in Johannesburg, we depart the next day for the photographic safari for several days, before returning and then departing for a few days in and around Cape Town. We'll then fly to Durban and drive to the game reserve where the wedding is to be held, and where we'll be staying for four days or so for social activities, the wedding itself and game drives.

After our stay in KwaZulu-Natal, we will drive back to Durban, fly back to Jo'burg, and then depart South Africa for home on the same day.

It's going to be a mammoth trip condensed into a very short timeframe.

It's one of those rare trips I wouldn't have otherwise considered, and we're excited about the trip and the experiences we will have.

Most people have seen lions, elephants and other African animals in zoos, but to have these majestic creatures within very close proximity to us, in their natural habitat, will be an experience that I will not fully comprehend and appreciate until I am actually there, living it.

I'm looking forward to capturing some very pleasing images of the wildlife and landscapes of South Africa.

The resulting images will be quite a departure from my usual seascape and portraiture fare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have a awesome time! Having grown up in Southern Africa I can vouch for the brilliant wildlife. A guided tour is a great idea, you will see more game as the guides can often get you off the beaten track. Enjoy!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bullies View Post
    You will have a awesome time! Having grown up in Southern Africa I can vouch for the brilliant wildlife. A guided tour is a great idea, you will see more game as the guides can often get you off the beaten track. Enjoy!
    Having watched a few videos and seen photos from a ranger's blog, it looks to be amazing.

Our safari is going to be in the Timbavati area. It'll be the photographer guide, ranger and just us, all in a private vehicle. No tourists. :-)

I'm taking the big lenses for this trip, but will also have an ultra-wide for landscapes.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. Went there in October last year and we are also heading back there this October although this trip we are going to go to Zimbabwe, taking in the Victoria falls and Hwange reserve area. A couple of the places have hides and I am very much looking forward to sitting there for a number of hours

I know you will have a great time and look forward to seeing the fruits of your efforts

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    Cool. Went there in October last year and we are also heading back there this October although this trip we are going to go to Zimbabwe, taking in the Victoria falls and Hwange reserve area. A couple of the places have hides and I am very much looking forward to sitting there for a number of hours
    Hope you land some fantastic shots.

Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I know you will have a great time and look forward to seeing the fruits of your efforts
    Thanks! I'm very much looking forward to capturing the beauty of these animals in their natural habitat.

If we're lucky, we may even see a white lion.

All of our game drives are during the morning and afternoon times when the light is best -- which works extremely well for me, as I'm fussy about good light, and the animals are kind enough to be most active when the light is ideal.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your trip (to be), Xen.
    Look forward to some SOOA pics.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.