Some exciting news from me:

We're off to Africa in a few months (October).

This unexpected trip has been on the agenda for a while now, as a friend is getting married in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, and we were invited to the wedding.

Naturally it's a fantastic opportunity to see and photograph wildlife and landscapes in Africa.

We've booked all of our flights, and have connected with an excellent photographer I discovered on 500px.com, who runs photographic safaris in southern Africa.

He has put together a custom four-day, private photographic safari in Kruger Park, just for us. Kruger is the African answer to Australia's own Kakadu National Park: it's the place to go for the quintessential experience, including the 'Big Five', consisting of lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants and buffalo. There'll probably be plenty of giraffes and zebras wandering around, too.

Of course, Africa has a lot more to offer, but for logistical reasons we are limited to a very rapid two-week trip, so we're trying to make the most of the time we have there, and will remain only in South Africa.

Upon arriving in Johannesburg, we depart the next day for the photographic safari for several days, before returning and then departing for a few days in and around Cape Town. We'll then fly to Durban and drive to the game reserve where the wedding is to be held, and where we'll be staying for four days or so for social activities, the wedding itself and game drives.

After our stay in KwaZulu-Natal, we will drive back to Durban, fly back to Jo'burg, and then depart South Africa for home on the same day.

It's going to be a mammoth trip condensed into a very short timeframe.

It's one of those rare trips I wouldn't have otherwise considered, and we're excited about the trip and the experiences we will have.

Most people have seen lions, elephants and other African animals in zoos, but to have these majestic creatures within very close proximity to us, in their natural habitat, will be an experience that I will not fully comprehend and appreciate until I am actually there, living it.

I'm looking forward to capturing some very pleasing images of the wildlife and landscapes of South Africa.

The resulting images will be quite a departure from my usual seascape and portraiture fare.