User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Canon 7D firmware upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 7D firmware upgrade

Just thought I would check here first about upgrading the firmware for a Canon 7D.
    Is it best / safer to copy the new files to a card via a card reader and then insert the card into the camera, or plug the camera into the computer and transfer the files directly into the camera ?
    I haven't done this before and don't want to take any chances.
    Mick.

http://www.pbase.com/guzziev

Canon 7D, Canon 15 - 85 mm, Canon EF 70 - 300mm L lens, Canon 100mm macro L lens, Canon 430EXII flash, Fancier tripod, Lowepro 190 camera bag, Canon RC6 remote shutter release, Yong Nuo flash trigger and receiver.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just done mine today! When you download the firmware it has an instruction file included which spells out two options. One is to put the firmware on a card and then put into the camera and load, and the other you need to connect the camera to a computer and use the EOS utility to do it. I'm not sure if you can just download the file to the camera directly but it isn't described so I kept away from it. I used the card reader method.

Seems to be a good thing, a couple of features I was keen on getting and more photos in a burst sequence is always a good thing!

- - - Updated - - -

And for anyone looking for the firmware download, here is a link: http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...400063202.html
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't put any firmware upgrades on my 7D yet and I've had it two years..... what exactly do they do/give you?
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a read of the link and it will tell you

This update gives you:

Firmware Version 2.0.0 incorporates the following improvements, new functions, and fixes.
    1. Improves the maximum burst in continuous shooting.
    JPEG Large/Fine: About 94 (126) bursts *1 -> About 110 (130) bursts *2
    RAW: About 15 (15) bursts *1 -> About 23 (25) bursts *2
    RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: About 6 (6) bursts *1 -> About 17 (17) bursts *2
    *1 The figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style) using a 4 GB card. The figures in parentheses indicate the number of shots that can be taken with an Ultra DMA (UDMA) 4-GB card, based on Canon's testing standards.
    *2 The figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style) using an 8 GB card. The figures in parentheses indicate the number of shots that can be taken with an Ultra DMA (UDMA) 128-GB card, based on Canon's testing standards.
    2. Supports a new accessory, GPS Receiver GP-E2.
    3. Adds an ISO Auto maximum setting.
    4. Adds an in-camera RAW processing function.
    5. Adds a Quick Control function during image playback.
    6. Adds a rating function.
    7. Adds a JPEG resize function.
    8. Adds an auto recording level manual adjustment function.
    9. Adds a function to freely set text for file names.
    10. Adds a function to make time zone settings.
    11. Increases the screen scrolling speed when magnifying images.
    12. Fixes a phenomenon where a slow shutter speed may result when an external flash is used to fire intermittent, consecutive flashes.
    13. Corrects the color space information in the Exif file for movies.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I finally got around to updating the firmware today. It wasn't as complicated as I thought it might be, simply follow the instructions and it was all done.
    I have had a play around with the extra bits now in the camera and I thought I might change the file name from the standard (eg) IMG_0695.JPG to something like .... " MICK " and then the file number. I followed the instructions on page 82 of the newer user manual under "User setting 1", but the file # is still the same. Not sure what I have done wrong or probably NOT done.
    Any ideas ?