User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

View Poll Results: Which final photo should have won?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elor : Man lying on stage with other man coming to his aid

13 54.17%
  • Fiona : Man lying on stage with women leaving

6 25.00%
  • Alistair : Spinning couple

5 20.83%
  • None of the above

0 0%

Thread: ABC tv show :PHOTO FINISH: performance episode

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ABC tv show :PHOTO FINISH: performance episode

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/24908

Available on iView to watch, use the link above

Who do you think should have won this week?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we bad judges or are they.
    I have not checked other polls, but it seems to me that we have not often, or is that never, agreed with the judges.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This time I agreed with the judges ... surprising even me! My guess is that we here are probably too technically focussed and not connected enough to the emotion the medium is capable of capturing. For me, Fiona chose the right image to submit as well. It was so demonstrative of the theme of the dance piece she was working with. The important things, for me at least, were the look on the prone husband's (?) face as symbolic of the despair that any new husband might feel if his bride was forced to give herself to a stranger and he was powerless to prevent that, and the darkness into which all of the women were moving. Very powerful for me!

Second in line for me was the spinning kiss, with both performers seemingly poised on a toe point atop an ordinary table. It spoke to me of the challenge of living a life in a one-room apartment with only each other to depend upon.

Although the actors in the boat people piece did a great job, I didn't think the photographer managed to capture the "feeling" of the scene as much as he caught individual snippets of emotion between the actors. JMHO of course.
    Last edited by WhoDo; 10-08-2012 at 9:43pm.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So far it looks like Waz and me are the only ones that agree with the judges choice.
    The spinning couple was nearly my choice, but there was a white towel (or something) under the table they were spinning above that I found so distracting given the darkness of the image. It just kept drawing my attention.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    So far it looks like Waz and me are the only ones that agree with the judges choice.
    Welcome to the Dark Side. You'll find the drummers over here like to syncopate their beat more than most!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I thought the eventual winner got there by luck rather than skill. The end result and the blurring seemed to be not so much a result of creative shooting but a lack of control over the camera. I doubt she could have taken an image which wasn't blurred!

I was trying to see which camera they were using .... does anyone know? Looked like a Canon 5Dii to me, and the shutter speed sounded like that.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the other thread about this program someone said that the Canon name was blacked out, that they were 5d's with 24-70 and 70-200 lenses.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that - that's rather what I thought. I'm actually considering buying a 5Diii so at the moment I'm evaluating everything that looks like it came from the same stable!