User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Perception of noise with respect to display density.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perception of noise with respect to display density.

Something I've noticed anecdotally but I thought I'd just put it out there to see if others have had the same experience. A quick google search didn't reveal any discussions on this.

I first noticed that noise was far less intrusive when viewed on my smart phone.
    I had just put this down to a poorer screen quality, masking many of the subtle image qualities or possibly some funky resizing algorithm on my phone's OS. The same seems to hold true for the new iPad.
    Then I had the chance to compare the retina MacBook pros with the regular MacBook Pros and also noticed noise was less intrusive.
    And we're talking images at full resolution without averaging out noise due to resizing.

So the question would be firstly, has this been the experience for others?
    If so, then the issue of noise would become increasingly irrelevant as display density increase (which inevitably they will).
    Is this also the reason why noise is less perceptible in print where densities are usually in the regions above 250dpi?
    Anyone care to have a crack at a scientific explanation?
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Is this also the reason why noise is less perceptible in print where densities are usually in the regions above 250dpi?
    I reckon that is correct.
    I have images here that have been subjected to D-Lighting ( Nikons parlance for shadow recovery ) and on the monitor they highlight noise in those areas.
    They look quite ugly actually as the D200 was never renowned for being "grain free" but when printed at 20x30 there is no sign of noise, grain or the ugliness that shows on a monitor.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew: have you had a chance to see that same image file on a high pixel density monitor/LCD?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Andrew: have you had a chance to see that same image file on a high pixel density monitor/LCD?
    No mate, I haven't been anywhere near one but I suspect that they would look better as you suggest as I feel that those monitors are going to show you an image looking more like a print than present / past monitors.