Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OOF! Shaken your head lately?

Well, start here.

And the ultimate rationale...
    Virgin defended its policy, saying Mr McGirr's reaction was atypical.

"In our experience, most guests thoroughly understand that the welfare of the child is our priority," she said.
    ...making the sky the limit.

Um.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fact is that more women teachers are convicted of sexual harrasment of male students than men are!
    So should they keep women away from young boys?
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would have really made my teenage years boring
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Virgin Australia takes the safety of all guests very seriously and in the case of unaccompanied minors, we take additional steps to ensure their flight is safe and trouble free in every respect."
    Why didn't they take additional steps to ensure he wasn't seated there in the first place?
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's bad. I won't be flying Virgin again in a hurry. That's a poor show...
    Please don't hesitate to provide me with CC! I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding any of my images. Thanks!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is flying with them next week - I hope they don't seat her next to a male.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Why didn't they take additional steps to ensure he wasn't seated there in the first place?
    Exactly, it isn't as if they simply open the doors to the plane and let everyone grab whichever seat takes their fancy.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massive passenger overreaction

Get on with it, how many flights, how many passengers choose their seats when online checking in ?

I sag so what, you move to another seat, not bleat about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This same issue has come up before in the news.
    And I kind of hate how it's a matter of course now to be suspicious of all males. But it's the way the world has gone, a small bunch has ruined it for the majority, but I guess we have to err on the side of caution.
    In the article they actually say that it shouldn't have happened on the flight, so I assume from that that their policy would normally work electronically at check in, but as the passenger points out, that it wasn't the fact it was on the flight, but the policy in general he has a problem with. I do imagine you would feel pretty embarrassed to have it happen on the flight. Embarrassing your customers is sure to anger them. I don't blame him being angry.
    I kind of hate the fact that the way society has gone, it makes all males get treated with suspicion. Kids can be the most amusing and funny creatures on the planet. They're so uninhibited, that you'll see them start to dance while standing in a shopping centre next to their parents, or do a million other incredibly cute and amusing things, but long gone are the days when a male like me can smile at the sheer joy the kid is expressing. In fact you can't really even watch them having fun for longer than a fraction of a second. You have to avert your gaze and move on. Anything else is sure to get YOU some sideways glances, and branded as some kind of weirdo. And THAT is really sad. But it's the way society is, and not likely to be easily changed now.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    I kind of hate the fact that the way society has gone, it makes all males get treated with suspicion. Kids can be the most amusing and funny creatures on the planet. They're so uninhibited, that you'll see them start to dance while standing in a shopping centre next to their parents, or do a million other incredibly cute and amusing things, but long gone are the days when a male like me can smile at the sheer joy the kid is expressing. In fact you can't really even watch them having fun for longer than a fraction of a second. You have to avert your gaze and move on. Anything else is sure to get YOU some sideways glances, and branded as some kind of weirdo. And THAT is really sad. But it's the way society is, and not likely to be easily changed now.
    And what effect will it breed in those we are trying to protect, I wonder? Things have so changed from "righto" to whacko!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People should just act naturally and normally, dont fall victim to paranoia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why were the kids not made to move?
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that as their name is Virgin, they wanted to ensure the kids remained that way!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I reckon we need a good head-shaking icon. Hmm! Ving's avatar comes to mind.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what would have happened with a full plane...no spare seats...only men on board.....one or two unaccompanied children.....hmmmmmm.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And snakes

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    what would have happened with a full plane...no spare seats...only men on board.....one or two unaccompanied children.....hmmmmmm.
    It'd be a cow, I reckon.
    Here's one I rustled from Ving. (And don't nobody tell 'im, either! It was dark and I only had the help of Starlight.)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    And snakes
    (Lucky I didn't see any. Would they travel in the tail section?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outrage meets reality, if my 9yo daughter were to fly on her own, i would prefer her sitting next to a woman, maternal instict v who knows what. If i were told to move seats, so long as there was no suggestion that is was no more than policy, id wear it happily.
    I've done so many things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting. ~Moe, The Simpsons

http://Grae-and-co-images.com/

canon 5dmk 2, some lenses, a couple of sticks to hold them up, a thing that make sun at night, and a sense of adventure

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wallywoo333 View Post
    Outrage meets reality, if my 9yo daughter were to fly on her own, i would prefer her sitting next to a woman, maternal instict v who knows what. .......
    But then, maybe, you wouldn't let her fly on her own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying High is a great movie........maybe the Virgin powers to be watched it and produced said policy......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast