Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Luminosity and Color modes : 2 minute tutorial series

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luminosity and Color modes : 2 minute tutorial series

I had a go at doing a video tutorial and will try to do more in the future
    I've always found that when watching videos on PP, I tend to lose concentration if they're too long
    As a result, I've made an attempt to keep this within a couple of minutes
    Also, I wanted to avoid using overly technical terms (I'd probably use them incorrectly anyway!)

Let me know what you think or what other kinds of short areas would be helpful

ps. Could a mod direct me to the right place to post this or move appropriately?
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dylan. Thanks for sharing this. Always love your work and really appreciate you taking the time to share your PP skills.
    Canon 60D; EFS 55-250mm; EFS 18-55mm; 50mm
    All CC very welcome. I'm keen to learn.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Dylan for that informative short tutorial.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah! that is helpful!! I didn't realise you could change the blend modes when you have the level adjustment layer up.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if this could be worked into a 2 min tutorial but I find it hard to add layer on layer on layer! I always do a layer, say it be a levels, then merge down, then do another different adjustment, then merge down. You can see the trend happening.

Maybe this can be put in to a tute??
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you very much for posting this. should come in handy

and keep the tuts coming
    Canon 5D MKiii / Sony A7Rii / Canon 16-35mm f 4 L /Canon EF 24-70mm f-2.8 L USM / Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM / SIGMA 50mm F14. ART

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank guys
    Monkia, I might do one on actions since one of mine brings up 6 layers with masks - 2 minutes could be pushing it lol but we'll see how we go - thanks for the idea !

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Good. It took me a while to enlarge the video (click on "Vimeo"), but OK. You have a good voice for the video.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Yeah, Good. It took me a while to enlarge the video (click on "Vimeo"), but OK. You have a good voice for the video.
    Am.
    Ah, so thats how its done!!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12 seconds before the end. Happily, it paused while it enlarged.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks am for the vocal compliment hehe - In the original recording before being rendered it made me sound like I'd just inhaled a bit of helium!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    Ah! that is helpful!! I didn't realise you could change the blend modes when you have the level adjustment layer up.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if this could be worked into a 2 min tutorial but I find it hard to add layer on layer on layer! I always do a layer, say it be a levels, then merge down, then do another different adjustment, then merge down. You can see the trend happening.

Maybe this can be put in to a tute??
    What is the problem with using many layers? I did not know there would be any limitation on how many were used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tutorial Dylan, very informative indeed.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no worries gonko - agb , I think you're right - I sometimes have up to 10 stacked lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    I find it hard to add layer on layer on layer! I always do a layer, say it be a levels, then merge down, then do another different adjustment, then merge down. You can see the trend happening.
    By working this way it defeats the whole purpose of using layers.

You should be able to add up to 99 layers depending on your computers memory! That's extreme but it's nothing to have 5 or 10 layers in an image.

Just drag out your layers palette and click on one of the small icons along the bottom. The little 1/2 black and white circle is for adding adjustment layers. Just select the layer (background first) and it will then be highlighted and then choose the type of adjustment layer to add. You can then keep working your way up and building a stack of layers. Just remember when PS adds extra layers, it adds them directly above the layer you have selected (highlighted) in the layers pallete. If you dont choose the top layer when adding another one it will really throw your adjustments off. No problem just grab the highlighted layer with your mouse and move it higher up the stack.

Adjustments layers come with masks to and you can really have some fun there painting in or out the effects.

Once you get a basic grounding in layers it opens up many possibilities

Good luck
    Greg

Please feel free to rework any of my images on this forum.

I also welcome any constructive criticism or suggestions.

http://www.gregwallis.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg. I don't want to hijack the thread....but, just quickly....I have tried to do multiple layers and for some reason just can't. I am self taught and the way I do it is the looooong way around, I know, and I am willing to change that. It sounds so simple when you write it like that, but it is beyond me!! Silly I know!! I use the mask quite a bit and I am getting good at that but I just go into levels via the drop down boxes at the top, not via the adjustments. What Dylan has put up here def helps me get over my fear of the multiple layers and to start using the adjustment layers as well. Time to start playing, I guess!!

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monika, I reckon reading and seeing are 2 different things - hopefully it I can get one short vid on this topic together. seeing it done might make it heaps easier for you! I know that's how I learn best in general - See something, talk someone through the same thing, then do it, then teach it! Best cycle to reinforce hehe
    Last edited by Dylan & Marianne; 11-08-2012 at 8:05am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dylan for posting this video. Simple and informative. I like the direction arrows too