Thread: Just for fun : The little icons in your camera manual

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just for fun : The little icons in your camera manual

canonicons.jpg

This is the icons that Canon use to describe the features of their G1x

Now I know it is all really just a bit of marketing that goes into these, but we have all become used to seeing them. Things like the HD logo and 4x optical zoom etc are common-place, but really what the hell are some of these other ones.

Movie Digest? What.. is there a Google search in the camera to look up movies and who starred in them?

And what about the one below Movie Digest. Little smillie face on LCD and an arrow. Are they instructing us to look for smilie faces and then press the shutter button? I thought it might mean face detection, but no, that is down a line and at the right hand end.

And at the right side of the line where movie digest is..is that a car and a building. WOW my camera can take photos of cars next to tall buildings..gee

Oh and look, it even has an icon to say it has a front dial.

Now please take this tongue in cheek, but really, do we need all of these??? and I am still stumped over what the car in front of the building really means
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-08-2012 at 9:39pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm reasonably new to photography and I certainly don't happen to know what most of these mean but...... I wonder how many of them are truly important?
    Anyway, now I know why it seems to take such a long time before we feel we understand everything...afterall there's these icons plus the menus, plus the jargon plus all of the acronyms...plus, plus, plus.

However, I still think its great fun learning and the photos we take can give us such wonderful rewards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a slight feeling that the little car infront of the building is the 'miniture' effect. My 60D has filters in the camera I can use after I take the photo and that is one of them. I have never used them and prob never will....the filters are:

Grainy BW
    Soft Focus
    Toy Camera effect
    and Miniture.

No, I don't think we need all these icons just to tell us what the camera does. I mean, a front dial icon?? Woo Hoo!! It has a front dial!! And????
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Rick, You bought a Canon ? , I'd guess the icon with the car and building would be Landscape mode or Or you can take a shot in Portrait orientation
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BLINK DETECTION ................I never blink
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, I didn't know my G1X has all these features.

I just use it to take photos and videos.

Does a good job too.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies..you guys make me laugh at times. And Benny, I do not have a G1x, was looking at it for a friend. I do however have a Canon T-70 (flim) and a Canon IR converted point and shoot.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Ricki

And to top it all off [well maybe] I have the instruction book for my father's old top of the range, interchangeable-lens film camera from the 1960s. Sort of a Leica lookalike but not a Leica

The instruction book goes for 32 pages, nicely written, plenty of illustrations and white-space so that the text is not crowded - it has no hi-falutin' logos, just plain-speeek text like "to ensure a good result every time you take a photo, please hold your elbows close to the body and do not jerk the camera while pressing the shutter-release button g-e-n-t-l-y"

Yeah mate .... times have changed
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    ....and I am still stumped over what the car in front of the building really means
    The building looks more like a recharged battery to me. So maybe you can you can do this in your car somehow.
    I like the one below it, a camera!! What does this one mean? "Yep, you get this bonus icon 'cause you now own this camera"

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser Film Street's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The building is a multi storey carpark and the car is actually a turtle.

This symbol signifies the 'building of an empire' mode where the top half of the image is more pronounced than the bottom half

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, I wonder how many logos made it as a sticker on the camera itself. This goes for all camera manufacturers actually.
    It's like my LCD tv bezel. It was littered with logo stickers of its features. You'd think they only put those on the display unit in the shops.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First icon second last row ... a movie camera and a ... ? monitor? Screen? I guess it means you can watch the movies you record. Oh good. I kind of imagine that being able to view what you record would be a selling point for all cameras.

"Movie Button" ... not a movie feature, but a movie button. Is that a separate shutter release if you're in movie mode?

"Smart Auto 32 Scenes" ... does it stop being smart after you've taken 32 different scenes?

"Handheld night scene" ... oh dear. I can see the results from that being far less than spectacular.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, trust me the building with the car is "miniture". I have it on my camera!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    No, trust me the building with the car is "miniture". I have it on my camera!!
    Bugger!....And I was hoping it meant "Parking Available".
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!!
    Ah, these marketing people..... I wonder if they get teased in their own company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's the icon for -pulling out your hair when all your shots are rotten?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your just jealous Rick, just because Nik hasen't caught up yet. LOL

Yeah, but seriuosly, it's a P & S and isn't that what 99.5 (.1 more than Bradman) use it for?

Marketing (As you say) at it's best for people who think their getting a bargin due to all the little pic/icons.