Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13

Thread: Major pain for Steve Parish

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major pain for Steve Parish

It appears that some lowlife has stolen a sizeable amount of photographic gear from Steve Parish.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-0...ipment/4182552
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not fun. Some people should be put away for a long time.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember to get insurance everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummmmmm why would you leave $200,000 worth of equipment in your car 'overnight'.
    I dont even leave a phone in my car for any length of time
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tragic, but really people, insurance, outside of alien abduction, keep your gear covered
    I've done so many things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting. ~Moe, The Simpsons

http://Grae-and-co-images.com/

canon 5dmk 2, some lenses, a couple of sticks to hold them up, a thing that make sun at night, and a sense of adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why on earth would someone who makes their LIVING from their gear, and who has gear worth that much, not have it insured?
    I know financially he's apparently a bit strapped at the moment, but leaving $200k in a car overnight is foolishness, and not insuring it the next silliest thing.
    I love his photos and would love even more to have a fraction of his skill, but that just seems like a very expensive mistake, and one that seemed so avoidable.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    Ummmmmm why would you leave $200,000 worth of equipment in your car 'overnight'.
    I feel very sorry for him, but to leave that much equipment in a car parked in a street in Norwood is not sensible.
    And not insured.
    I hope the thieves have a very hard time getting rid of it and thus get caught.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    I hope the thieves have a very hard time getting rid of it and thus get caught.
    The probability is that they palmed it off very quickly for the price of a slab of beer and a bag of dope.

Tomorrow, they just do another car and score a phone and a few $$ cash and swap for the same value to feed their habits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a bummer for him.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photographer but not very smart!! Ditto to all the comments above.....why the H would you leave that amount of gear in a car, especially in a city?? We might be the 'country bumpkins' compared to our Eastern City neighbours, but we still have our crime!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    umm
    I find some of this another lesson that good photographers don't necessarily make good business people.
    How can he not have a small fortune in the bank?

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a targetted theft more than likely carried out by a nearby resident or someone who knew what was in the car. There is another theory which I won't embelish upon but it is highly unlikely to be a random theft. And for someone who was affected by floods and insurance claims with his business, not to have extreme value equipment insured beggars belief. Of course we do not know all the circumstances and people under stress do not necessarily make sound decisions.
    Some of that equipment will be easily identified so anyone purchasing this gear had better keep it hidden from other photographers.
    A lesson here which is continually repeated: insure your equipment. note to self check with wife!!!!!
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats a bit sad but i agree with the otheres

i am seeing him next month for his workshop here in Coonamble lets hope he done leave anything in his car cause he is here for 2 day and Coonamble last year was no6 worst town in nsw for brake and enters
    Jimmy!!!
    Nikon D3400 18-55mm kit lens AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f4-5.6G ED VR 2 tri-pods

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly my thought Cindy. Madness.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a sick and twisted world we live in now days.. The laws are just not hard enough to deter these type of crims.
    When caught they will more than likely have a day in court then 100 hours of community work.
    It's the only thing I like about about Arab countries. You get caught stealing, you loose a hand.

And I agree that he should have insurance, and taken the gear inside.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    That was a targetted theft more than likely carried out by a nearby resident or someone who knew what was in the car. There is another theory which I won't embelish upon but it is highly unlikely to be a random theft. And for someone who was affected by floods and insurance claims with his business, not to have extreme value equipment insured beggars belief. Of course we do not know all the circumstances and people under stress do not necessarily make sound decisions.
    Some of that equipment will be easily identified so anyone purchasing this gear had better keep it hidden from other photographers.
    A lesson here which is continually repeated: insure your equipment. note to self check with wife!!!!!
    More commonly known as a Jewish Stocktake
    Was my first thought upon reading the article.................BUT, I wasnt there so I wouldnt know

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More commonly known as a Jewish Stocktake
    Was my first thought upon reading the article.................BUT, I wasnt there so I wouldnt know
    No, that involves a can of petrol and a box of matches.
    Last edited by Warbler; 08-08-2012 at 6:41pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw come on guys, we all make mistakes and some of you are being extremely unkind.

I feel for the man and was moved by his show of emotion.

And tell me, where are any of us, and the people and things we cherish, really safe?
    Ray

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For Clarity:

Steve Parish did not state he was uninsured. It seems that was a media comment to garner sympathy/support

Steve made the following statement on his FB page 3 hours ago:

"Just to clear a few things: I have never said it was uninsured and the $200k was an invention because I could not provide a number. OK yes I am a dick head for leaving the kit in the boot although have done so for 35 years because I have had stuff stolen from indoors right beside my bed. So there you go if a thief want's something you have then that's it! NIKON god bless them had a camera in my hands in 24 hours, thanks Nikon."
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and in today's local paper he is still coming to Coonamble