Thread: Chilean Adventures

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chilean Adventures

I was interested to see the new Web module in Lightroom 4 and decided to try it out on the shots I had from a 2 month trip I did to Chile in 2006. It seemed a good chance to start learning the new controls in Lr4 as well, so I decided to process them all from scratch.

One of the things that really surprised me about these images, which I shot RAW and have played with many times over the years, was just how much better they get with advances in processing, both in terms of my skills and improvements in software.

The other thing that really surprises me about them is how good they are in terms of sharpness and detail given that they were shot with a Canon S60, which sported a tiny 5MP sensor. I use a 5DMk11 now and have a bag full of L series lenses and, whilst the differences in image quality are obvious to me, I am coming to accept that the law of diminishing returns is hard at work here - I've printed some of the best of these images at A3+ size and knowledgable people struggle to pick them from later work done with much better gear.

I chose a SimpleViewer theme and tweaked it a bit after export, adding some captions. It does require Flash unfortunately, but I couldn't find anything that protected the images from downloading that didn't require it.

I posted it in the Not For Critique forum because I couldn't find another place it obviously fitted, though I'm very happy to hear any comments or suggestions at all.

You can start the show here.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    I posted it in the Not For Critique forum because I couldn't find another place it obviously fitted, though I'm very happy to hear any comments or suggestions at all.

You can start the show here.
    Hmmm... what's wrong with Other>Social Documentary?
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose a SimpleViewer theme and tweaked it a bit after export, adding some captions. It does require Flash unfortunately, but I couldn't find anything that protected the images from downloading that didn't require it.

Maybe simple viewer isn't the answer because the compression that has happened to them on a browser really doesn't work well.

Perhaps try linking them to here as an original for critique and risk people stealing them ( I can't quite see why they would nick them though ) as a better indication of their worth.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look pretty juicy here in Firefox, Chrome & Safari. SimpleViewer doesn't do anything to them, it's an interface. They're just exported from Lr. The problem may be at your end. What browser are you using?

I'm not concerned that anyone here would download them. Using SV like this is just like turning off downloading in Flickr - keeps honest people from casually grabbing things.

I did think about putting this in Social Documentary Waz, but there are lots of landscapes too. It's fine here for me.
    Last edited by soulman; 05-08-2012 at 8:29pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look pretty juicy here in Firefox,
    Maybe I have a less rehydrated version of firefox than you do, but really, the linked images look soft, lacking in contrast and clarity when presented in that interface.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really like the goat herders, just wished you had cropped the car shadow out of the foreground.
    Last edited by ricktas; 05-08-2012 at 9:36pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you liked it Rick. The shadow was the lesser of evils here. Getting rid of it threw the balance out completely. I could have cloned it out though I guess.

Do the images look soft & lacking in contrast on your machine? They're sharp & bright on every browser I have across 3 different machines here.

Here's a direct link to one:

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look pin sharp and bright on my monitor. You've got some great shots there.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comment Toni. I'm glad to hear they look OK your end. It was a fun trip and re-processing them brought back a lot of memories and pushed me to buy another compact - a Canon S100 - which I''m about to take away for its first trip, to Thailand. I'm taking everything else as well, but will see how the little S-series goes.

I've asked a few other people today who have all said the pictures appear as one would expect, so I'm not sure why Andrew couldn't see them as they appear for everyone else.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soulman, you will love your S100. I have an S95 which is my "always in my pocket" camera. It takes fantastic shots. I find I'm using it almost as much as the big one. Enjoy Thailand.