User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  28
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you like what I am providing to you?

Ausphotography's Anonymous Critic anonymous critic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you like what I am providing to you?

Hello everyone on Ausphotography.

Tonight - Sunday 5th Aug - I will be providing the next round of critiques on one of the competition levels in the Abstract Competition.

I will then be taking a week off from my role as I have some photography to undertake that will see me heading off over the ditch to New Zealand for a couple of days, and decided to also take the week off from Ausphotography at the same time. You will see me back again in a fortnight (Sunday 19th Aug).

I have been watching your feedback on my critique threads and whilst I thank everyone for their kind words for my efforts, I would really like to know if you are finding my contributions all that valuable. I notice that there are regular members who comment, thank, post their own critiques and views, but a lot of those who view my critiques do not even comment. Like the site administrators and moderators, I can see who has viewed a thread, and there are a lot more viewers than their are responses. Why is this? Are members concerned about posting their own thoughts? Please do not be!

So with this in mind:

1) I want to know if you think my contributions to Ausphotography are worthy?
    2) Do you value my input?
    3) Should I be doing something differently?
    4) What would it take to get you to start providing more intensive and encouraging critique to other members?

So over to you, a bit of switcharoo, time for you to tell me what you think of my work on AP.
    Providing Anonymous Critique to the Ausphotography members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Brother is watching lol...............I am guilty as charged
    I find the critique very informative, positive and enlightening.

I can give you all the reasons under the sun to justify my lurking, but it all just boils down to laziness
    ...........note to self 'do unto others' and get back to helping people learn.

I think you are doing a grand job of it as is
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoy reading all the critiques you write
    I try to reply to them all I am not sure if I do as I am too busy replying to many other Members posts.

1) I want to know if you think my contributions to Ausphotography are worthy? .... Yes I do its certainly teaching me a few things
    2) Do you value my input? .. Certainly though it does not mean I agree with everything you write, members would say the same about mine too.
    3) Should I be doing something differently?.. No, how could you do anything differently when writing a critique ?
    4) What would it take to get you to start providing more intensive and encouraging critique to other members?.. Nothing I do my share here
    My 52/2011 Challenge

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Wayne shoots while Di chats!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find your critiques very useful, and I am sure they are even moreso to the beginners. I like the format and the fair appraisal of each of the photo's, and look forward to reading them each week, after I have made my own assessment. As the critique is so thorough and professional, I don't feel that I can add anything more to that which you already offer.
    Wayne
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am probably guilty of viewing but not posting, purely because i do like to read forums and gain bits and pieces from peoples thoughts.

Your critiquing while harsh to the point is quite fair and gives a very accurate feedback to the creator of the shots. Whilst your critiquing is usually on the inter - advanced sections, i personally would love to see some of the ideas you have that would have made a particular shot better maybe shown as well as told, coming from a beginner this can help greatly (but i know most inter/advanceds dont want their shots edited so its hard)
    Last edited by mojododo; 05-08-2012 at 12:41pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love reading your critiques.. I find I often keep going back and reading again just to reinforce what is learnt.. I also find that I am beginning to think and see along the same lines now when looking at some photos.. I just do not have a very tactful delivery style So tend to wait until I feel comfortable enough to leave a message.. keep them coming

Cheers,
    sheree
    D5000 Nikkor AF-S 28-300mm VR, Tamron 70-300mm, Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm VR, Marumi/Hoya Filters
    "There are times when words fall out of my mouth at the very same time they entered my head.. Apologies in advance for those times"
    "I don't get mad, I get better"

Sheree

My friends call me Dave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guilty as charged. I am a browser but I think I answer more of other members threads than what I start. I might not post an image for a month but will still comment on others
    I think your critique is invaluable and would not change a thing

6 reply's out of 19 entries must be a bit disheartening AC

ps. enjoy you trip
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 05-08-2012 at 1:06pm.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear, I too am guilty of viewing and not posting enough.
    As for your CC... I find your comments invaluable. As a beginner they are EXACTLY the type of CC I look for (wish I had that natural gift to put the 'right ' words to print )
    but being a beginner I don't comment on the 'technical' side of a image I tend to keep my CC generalised, maybe a lack of confidence on my part, but I'm hoping that will improve... along with my photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and thanks for the criticism

First, to answer your questions...

1) I want to know if you think my contributions to Ausphotography are worthy?
    Yes, so far I have not not done much more then read your critique of the Advanced BIRDS entries, but my immediate and only regret was that you had not covered the Intermediate section as I'd have been very interested on your feedback on my entry (Ok so I'm a selfish sod )

2) Do you value my input?
    Yes, again based on the little I have read it is more concerned with providing information to the photographer than praise, praise is nice, but criticism is useful. And of the two the latter is more important to me, "that is nice", won't help me improve.

3) Should I be doing something differently?
    I'd like to see all the entries critiqued, and also a request a critique service
    However I suspect that you have you own time constraints limiting how much you can do,
    and with that in mind, I don't think spreading yourself too thing by increasing the quantity of output would make things better.

Part of me would like longer critiques, but you've managed to be quite succinct, and I'm not sure that lengthening them would actually improve them.

*sigh* the bit I hate when it comes to criticism is when I struggle to suggest improvements, and sadly that's what I'm doing right now...

(so short version, I can't think of anything you should be doing differently that I think wouldn't detract more than it added)

4) What would it take to get you to start providing more intensive and encouraging critique to other members?
    Well perhaps you could critique my critique?
    And much as it sounds as a one liner to get a laugh I'm serious,
    much as criticism of photos hopefully leads to better photos,
    hopefully criticism (particularly constructive criticism) of critiques may lead to better critiques.

So if you feel like critiquing my critiques, you are most welcome.

Thank you for your feedback and advice,
    (and a very cool avatar)

Regards,
    Anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, your contributions and input are worthy and always interesting; the detailed evaluations give me new ways of looking at images, and new things to consider. I can't see you needing to do anything different.
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.

Ausphotography's Anonymous Critic
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your comments. I suppose I was getting a bit disheartened that the low number of responses to views was cause you did not really value what I was doing.

To answer some specific questions/comments so far.

Big Brother - God, I hope I am not as trashy as that tv show

Those who commented that as beginners they feel they cannot add anything, or do not have the skills to add a critique, that is nonsense. You are a person, with opinions and you should be expressing those opinions to other members. Your opinion and comments are just as valuable as mine. So get the fingers to the keyboard and start getting into it.

For those that wanted me to do more, like critique all entries across all the competitions, I would love to, but time doesn't allow me that luxury. Each week I choose a different skill level to attack get my teeth into. If I did not critique your level this week, then I will have done so previously and will do so again, in the future.

Critiquing a critique is an interesting idea. I have an issue with that though, in that my views might be vastly different to yours and whilst I could provide a good deconstruction of your critiques, it would just be my opinion against yours. Each of us would have valued and worthy comments to make, but I cannot see any real value in critiquing someone else's critique, other than to reinforce what they said, or refute it, as the case may be. I get that it could be an interesting aside, but I am not sure if it could be considered worthwhile to the person who's photo was being critiqued, certainly no more useful than another critique of their photo would be. Dissecting someone elses critique could be fraught with danger, if they found my comments did not agree with theirs, when they are certainly entitled to their own views.

Keep the replies coming, I am enjoying reading your ideas and thoughts here, much appreciating them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again,

Going back to the lack of response,
    I am reluctant to reply when I do not feel I have useful information to add.
    (Makes me very reluctant to reply to good photos)
    So in my case silence was approval...

I definitely agree that skill level should not be a barrier to expressing an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous critic View Post
    Critiquing a critique is an interesting idea. I have an issue with that though, in that my views might be vastly different to yours and whilst I could provide a good deconstruction of your critiques, it would just be my opinion against yours. Each of us would have valued and worthy comments to make, but I cannot see any real value in critiquing someone else's critique, other than to reinforce what they said, or refute it, as the case may be. I get that it could be an interesting aside, but I am not sure if it could be considered worthwhile to the person who's photo was being critiqued, certainly no more useful than another critique of their photo would be. Dissecting someone else's critique could be fraught with danger, if they found my comments did not agree with theirs, when they are certainly entitled to their own views.
    I think I may have expressed myself poorly about what I meant with critiquing a critique,

eg.

If someone posts a shot that is, say blurry,
    And I write a critique along the lines of could be better.
    I'm not providing much useful information.

I'd expect a critique of such a critique to go along the lines of,
    Could be better, while providing some feed back, could be improved by stating what could be better, and perhaps how this could be achieved.

Based on such a critique I might then try to improve my critique,
    Potentially a nice shot, but the subject is blurry,
    looking at the exif data, the shutter speed might be a bit slow for that sort of shot, perhaps going for a higher shutter speed could help here.

And so critiquing my critique would not be about the subject of my critique, or the differences in our opinions of the subject, but about my critiquing technique.

I do not think it would be at all useful to the poster of the photo, beyond encouraging and hopefully enabling me (and hopefully others reading the critique) to provide better critiques.

I'm not sure of the best spot to post the critique of a critique, as it may distract from the original photo, possibly a critiqued critiques thread, or via pm (though that would prevent it from benefiting others)

Be careful what you ask for ...

Another thought is a short guide on how to provide useful critiques.

Also if you have some time to waste ;p if you feel like critiquing a review, I've just done one on a CS-Pro, and I think id needs some polishing, and some criticism could help greatly, (and that is an open invite to anyone

Thanks,
    Not only for what you do directly,
    but also for encouraging us to be better too.

Regards,
    Anon

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Anon for clarifying that. AC has just been talking to me on the phone with a few ideas etc

In the meantime, we do have a guide to assist people with providing critique. Its in the New To Photography Critique forum as those newer to photography are those most likely to need help and assistance with providing critique : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-for-Beginners
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Rick,

I found it an interesting read, have bookmarked it, and will try to use it to improve my critiques

Regards,
    Anon

My friends call me Dave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I did not respond to AC's last CC session I did read through it and I learned so much, thank you AC
    The main reason I did not reply was that my image wasn't entered in that section.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...evel-Critiques

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello AC.
    When I read your critiques a small percentage actually remains in the grey matter.
    I think since you started, my critiquing has improved. I tend to be a lot more honest and forthright in my comments. And I think it is better appreciated than a simple "that's nice" remark.

As for your critiques. They are like a good book. The more you read, the better you see the big picture.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feedback!

First, I appreciated the specific CC you gave me!

I know a lot have read your CC (verified that via some admin tracking)
    Maybe they also need to click thanks or better still a short post with their view?

I'm also aware of your work load so, again thanks!!

As far as your CC goes... It is right up there with the best APS/FIAP judges comments!
    Better in as much as they are written down. Maybe that is a clue about your identity? (or not)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really value your contributions and look forward to reading your critique every week, and feel quite lost on the weeks that you are not available or do not post a critique. AT my level , I am very new to the concept of offering critique on a forum, but, I have learnt from all that I have read and do feel far more comfortable offering my point of view. There are times however, that I feel that I do not have any meaningful comment to make, so I make none.

I really value your input and feel it is full of insight and a very informed opinion.

As to doing anything different, I do not think there is anything different that could be done.

I feel that the open and honest critique provided is the perfect and best method to get other members, including myself to offer more opinion and open comment.

Please keep up the great commentary that I along with many other members enjoy.
    Brian
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire

Gear : Nikon D3100; Nikkor 18-55 mm, Nikkor 55 - 300mm, Sigma "Bigma" 50 - 500 and a heap of Enthusiasm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/beeps44/
    http://500px.com/beeps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely feel your contributions are worthwhile. When reading your critiques I always see things in the photo that I missed when first viewing them, so it has taught me to try and take a bit longer when voting to really look at each photo properly and your time taken to provides these critiques are very much appreciated. I am really looking forward to reading your critique of the abstract entries tonight!!
    Tania
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologise that, by not commenting, you may have thought that your reviews are not appreciated - I thought the fact that there are a lot of views says that your (AC) critiques are of interest to the people who view them - I just didn't realise you could see who did view them. I know that I have read just about every one posted and in my mind critiqued your critiques with a view to improving my own. But, by the same token, I'm hardly likely to say "Hey AC, I don't think what you have said is correct/useful/helpful" as, with respect to technique, obviously with your experience and that this is your business, you have much more knowledge about such things compared to a beginner like me. I don't always agree with your personal preferences but that is subjective anyway. I haven't commented on or expressed thanks on your reviews threads (other than maybe the first one) as I didn't think it was adding anything to the thread but I want you to know that they are appreciated and have added to my knowledge which is still quite limited due to not taking the initiative to take more photos.

1) I want to know if you think my contributions to Ausphotography are worthy?Yes
    2) Do you value my input? Yes
    3) Should I be doing something differently? I thought it would be interesting to see your ranking of every photo but maybe that could detract from the value of the critique which is the main purpose.
    4) What would it take to get you to start providing more intensive and encouraging critique to other members? I do critique those that I have time to view and that I think my basic knowledge could suit or those that I personally find interesting or striking. I have learnt a lot here but the rest is really up to me and at this time other things have priority.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast