Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  31
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 sucks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2012 sucks

as the title says 2012 is definately not my favourite year.
    first i find out i have prostate cancer, treated with brachytherapy.
    then i went for an eye test for new glasses. optomertrist wouldn't do the test says something wrong with my eyes
    go to eye hospital, i have cataracts. left eye worse than right eye.
    will have left eye fixed later this month at a cost of around 2k, where is the 25 dollar deal advertised on tv
    then i will need to get right eye done before it gets worse, more money to be found. all donations welcome folks
    the good part of all this is i will be able to see through the view finder properly again.
    driving will become a bit boring, at the moment i spend a lot of time driving with left eye closed so i can judge space and direction better, especially on bends.
    so if there is a message in this missive it is if you are in the age group for cataracts, don't muck around. get your eyes checked.
    cheers
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say much except hope all goes well, and 2012 gets better.
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea - hope things are better heading to the end of the yr mate.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Go the Rabbitohs
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you Ionika and Mike for your replies.
    i know that there are others doing it way tougher than i am. it's just i am not used to being ill or incapacitated.
    cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the heads up mud man. I am heading into treacherous waters as well. Oh well...as they say.....evry day above ground is good. Hang in there and I hope things get a bit easier and clearer for you.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fully agree, "Every day above ground is a good day" and do hope all goes well for you mudman. every year for the last ???? years has been a " Bugger" this neck o the woods but look forward to the next year.
    Wish ya well mate and all this seems ta come with age ey??..
    We didnt inherit this land, we merely borrow it from our Children

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope you get to see 2013 bring much more enjoyable times mudman (and everyone else who has commented in this thread of doing it tough right now).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, hope things improve Muddy. We've been nursing our son through one of the worst years of his life at only 33. He's lost a child, been declared bankrupt, lost his wife, his house and his car not to mention lost 75% access to his beautiful daughter. Frankly I don't know how he still manages a smile every now and then, but he does. I didn't add this to hijack your thread, though. I only wanted you to know that your pain with this particular "annus horribilus", as Queen once infamously referred to a bad year, is shared. A problem shared is a problem halved, or so they say. Best wishes, mate.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your troubles mudman. I really hope things get better. I just had my eyes checked and all was good-well I did have to get new glasses. Been wearing then since I was 4 yrs old. WhoDo, sorry to hear of your son's troubles too. I hope things get better for him too.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    thank you Ionika and Mike for your replies.
    i know that there are others doing it way tougher than i am. it's just i am not used to being ill or incapacitated.
    cheers
    Yep, I hear you old mate. I have been blessed to be pretty fit and healthy my whole life but now at that magic age of 55 I feel hints of things not working as well as they did, run out of puff which I never did when younger etc. I lose sleep sometimes worrying about health with all that you hear.
    Really hope you get back on track soon and that this is just a little bump on the road to many more active yrs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck Mudman.
    Won't be long, and your sight will be crystal clear again.

I guess if you want the ops for $25.00, you could go to Nth Korea and wait for 20 years or so!

For some, this year has been a disaster, but we should all be thankful that we are still above ground, and that our homes have not been washed away and haven't lost too many loved ones.

As my late mother used to say, A man thought he was badly off because he had no shoes.
    Until he met the man with no legs.

We should all be very thankful for the small mercies we have.
    It's no good to gripe about how badly off we are, or what bad luck we have, because, it could ALWAYS be far worse.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Go the Rabbitohs
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks again to you all for your support, it is really valued.
    i know that this cataract issue is not such a big deal nowadays so i'm not too worried.
    when i compare it to overcoming cerebral palsy, it's not an earth shattering event.
    just thought i would start this thread to maybe alert others in my age group to get themselves checked.
    the sooner the detection the sooner the fix
    cheers

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to see an online community support one of its own.
    I can only say I hope the worst is over and things just improve from here on.
    Nel and my thoughts and prayers are with you.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mudman, stay positive ... 2011 was a crap year for us, wife had breast cancer, then broke her wrist, we lost one of our good horses and l had a bad year work wise BUT all turned out OK, good friends are worth their weight in gold, this year, for us, has been good.
    Stay with it mate, look to the future and stay strong.

Cheers
    Banjo

D5100, AF-S 18 105, AF-S 10 24.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jeez, I've got an eye check up later in the week.
    I'm like Mike, generally been pretty lucky health wise, though I'm getting old enough to feel some strains on the body.
    Good luck with things mm. They'll either get better or worse.
    Of course I hope they get better.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my thoughts and prayers to you also mudman, stay positive. ian(aka pappa smurf)

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Steve

Nice to hear from you me ole mate

Like you, I'm in my mid-60s and have the same sort of issues
    Couple of years back I lost 50% sight in my left eye and via a half-developed cataract in the right eye, that is starting to go as well, making things like focussing & driving the motorhome a bit of an issue.

Funnily enough my total sight still seems better than others I am with each week - where I easily can see things they struggle with. Doesn't make sense to me, but ...

The important things tho are 1) ya still gotta have focus, 2) ya still gotta be able to focus & 3) ya still gotta enjoy the warmth of the sun every day ya above ground
    Special Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mudman,
    Your thread title caught my eye ....I too havn't had the best couple of years and understand where your coming from ...
    & even though things seem insurmountable stay positive and surround yourself with good and loving friends
    The glass is always half full
    All the best with everything
    Cargo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mudman

I too know how you feel , just take one day at a time ,having been there i appreciate where you are coming from, as a wise man once replied to a question ''what is life all about and what is the point ?''

He answered ''It's about loving and being loved,,, there isn't anything else''

I suppose that doesn't help but hang in there mate , better days ahead i hope

cheers
    Norman

Nikon D800E x 2 Nikon D500 14-24 2.8 24-70 80-400 afs vr 200-500 afs vr 16mm 2.8 1.4 &1.7 converters Tamron 90mm SB800 SB900 Flash Adobe Lightroom CC
    My FLICKR http://www.flickr.com/photos/open_shutter_media/

Go the Rabbitohs
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you Kym, Banjo, Ian, Mark L, Phil, Cargo, and Norman.
    the support from all the AP members to this thread has been amazing and humbling. thank you all
    i will be ok, it will be nice to see things a bit sharper than now. too bad it will take the thrill out of driving one eyed though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast