Thread: Cropping (Basics)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cropping (Basics)

I'm struggling with the concept of cropping and implications of not cropping correctly.

Why is it some photos are cropped automatically by the machine when you get them printed (eg. Kmart etc.) and it won't allow you to resize the photo to capture the complete photo?

Are there any techniques you can share. I have googled cropping (google is my best friend) and seen different sizes with no description as to what the sizes are - are they a measurement in inches, centimetres, what? Is there a preferred size to crop photos at so, no matter what size they are printed, you retain the whole photo?

Thanks for your help. Liz.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few Threads here on AP about Cropping Photos
    In the Search Bar up top on the right side type in Cropping Ratio, there are three threads on the first page.. Happy Reading

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Photos at Kmart etc are are cropped to fit the paper. Photo paper for small prints are generally 4 x 6, so if your photo does not fit this aspect ratio, it gets cropped.

In photoshop, once you select the crop tool, and it appears just under the menu, you can click on the tool in the menu bar (not in the tools palette) and choose an aspect ratio that you want to crop to, then do your crop. It is a matter of cropping to the same aspect ratio as the print will be.

So no use cropping to 4 x 8, if you are printing on 4 x 6 paper, otherwise your lose some of the image.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artylady View Post
    ...Why is it some photos are cropped automatically by the machine when you get them printed (eg. Kmart etc.) and it won't allow you to resize the photo to capture the complete photo?...
    Are there any techniques you can share...Is there a preferred size to crop photos at so, no matter what size they are printed, you retain the whole photo?...
    Liz.

Specifically about the machine letting you re-size. Wherever I go it lets you do this - it's in the "editing" options.
    If, for instance, I am printing a 4:5 aspect print, I use the "reduce/enlarge" option to fit the top and bottom of the image on the paper. This leaves white space at the sides. I usually just print on 6x4-inch (3:2 aspect ratio) paper.

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    ...Photo paper for small prints are generally 4 x 6, so if your photo does not fit this aspect ratio, it gets cropped...
    certainly happens if you do not re-size the image to fit the paper. Typically, if you had a 5:4 aspect image printed on 6x4-inch paper AND DIDN'T re-size, you'd lose the top and bottom of the image.

If you do not find any other threads on cropping, notify in this thread.

Am.

PS: I just remembered. There are what's called "aspect ratios", and also what's called "print sizes". They are not interchangeable. One is a ratio of the length to the width of an image, while the other is the actual size of the printed output.

For example, an aspect ratio of 3:2 can be printed without any cropping of the image on the following paper sizes: 6 x 4 -inch (15 x 10 cm), and 12 x 8 -inch (30 x 20 cm).
    Last edited by ameerat42; 05-08-2012 at 4:20pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    ..... It is a matter of cropping to the same aspect ratio as the print will be.
    Exactly.
    Though you're not limited to this. If you have done a crop that you like and that size is not available, then find an aspect ratio that the printer supplies, which is larger (though close) to what you have. You'll get a print with some white around the outside, which you can then cut off. Hope that makes sense!
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Liz

Am is pretty close to answering your original Question with 'aspect ratios'

Photo paper follows from film size/shape from years ago, where the 4" x 6" is an exact match for the shape of the film-negative
    However digital cameras - except for SLRs - follow a computer screen shape, of about 4-1/2" x 6" > thus prints crop off the top & bottom of your carefully framed image

In Kmart + similar places, after you load the image, choose 'zoom & crop' and in those screen choices, choose 'NO' zoom & crop and you will get a print as Am describes, with white edges on 2 sides but 100% of your photo intact

Hope this helps a bit
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/