Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Where can I buy some lenses whilst O/S

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where can I buy some lenses whilst O/S

My wife and daughter are off(again) to England and Europe with a stopover at Singapore airport. Has anyone purchased camera gear whilst on holidays at a very good price and if so where? Is there a place at Changi airport to buy camera gear at a better price than Australia? I know I can save the GST if purchased in Australia which is my preferred option if I can get a "deal" locally from Ted's, Michaels' etc etc.

I aim(hope) to purchase 3 lenses !0-22, 15-85 and 70-200 or similiar so any savings will be well worth while. Any thoughts appreciated cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found Changi airport almost devoid of camera equipment, a few P&S style cameras and little else.

Nikon D300, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200vr II f2.8, 18-200vr, Lensbaby, 50 f1.8, SB600, Tokina 12-24 f4, TC2.0e III, Kenko TC 1.4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, whilst in Japan, the prices there were about what you would pay back home and don't come with a local warranty. You may find a very similar situation where you're headed also.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was screwing up my face while I read your question. Absolutely agree with Chris about the airport, but there are heaps of stores in along (if I remember) Orchard Rd.
    BUTT! (T for emphasis) the Singapore and Aus $s are about the same after you change them (though not in reality), and then what about warranty and all that, and...? Oh , the hassle!

That's why I didn't bother, though I had a good look. I didn't think the prices were stunningly better than I've seen on-line here. And, you'd have better come-back.
    (MHOs)
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 01-08-2012 at 4:58pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Singapore airport, like all other airports, is an expensive place to buy camera stuff.
    Hong Kong is about the cheapest place to buy stuff.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I'd give Changi a miss for photogtaphy gear if I were you.
    If u can head into town, the clubsnap forum is your friend for best store recommendations.
    Prices are usually only marginally cheaper but varies from item to item and can even be more expensive.
    I'd go the local deal route, maybe even a local based gray importer such as DD Photographics but again check the individual items cos sometimes local official gear can be even cheaper.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Fishy
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for those replies. It looks like the airport is out then. Has anybody else purchased in say England/Europe?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    England is expensive. One of the UK's biggest camera stores : http://www.jessops.com/

When you look at the AUD GBP conversion, you are better off buying here.

Agree that Hong Kong is your best bet, but even then you are saving a little, not a heap!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Fishy
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Thanks. Looks like buying from good old Aussie or one of the grey import shops. cheers Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have some time in SG, go to Funan Digital Mall in the city, it is very close to the City Hall MRT station, there are quite a few resellers in there, and prices can be much better than here for pro glass, and you will get 5.5% of the SG GST back upon leaving Changi, just get the reseller to give you the pre-printed paperwork.
    If you have more time, go to Sim Lim Sq which is easily accessible from either Bugis or Little India MRT stations. There are stacks of resellers of camera gear on Level 1/2 and computer gear on all levels. just bargain hard, and have cash!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been buying camera gear direct from overseas stores in person for years now, in 2012 the savings simply isnt there anymore, or the paradigm has shifted to other countries

Singapore/Changi airport = expensive

Europe = expensive to ridiculous

US & China = currently the cheapest

Hong Kong = minimal savings to parity - its cheaper to buy from DWI (from HK) including delivery to Aus than to buy from Wing Shing/Man Shing stores now. Hong Kong is no longer the place to be for camera gear unfortunately

Japan = same as HK

Fishy
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Wayne, JM TRAN. I bought my 7D back in 2010 I think and the savings were substantial. Now with Kennedy's price matching and Aussie retailers able to drop their prices a bit the gap has narrowed. Plus I can save 10% GST . cheers Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a fairly large store in Changi airport - there were a few bags that were at a decent price, but not much else. Good for a browse though if you have some time to kill.

If you get into town Cathay Photo has a number of shops in an arcade just around the corner from Funan mall referred to above - Peninsula Plaza from memory. Decent prices and a very wide selection of gear. http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg
    Last edited by maccaroneski; 05-08-2012 at 11:18pm.