Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To hire or not to hire ???

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, was thinking take 300... but who knows ! If it snaps away that quick and I am in the moment, it could be more hey. Thanks again for your advice. I will go do some more reading, and might just do the whole RAW thing ! It still scares me a little bit haha but... so long as I can make them into jpeg's if I feel the need, it is probably the way to go. My whole aim is to get the highest quality shots that I can, so yeah, RAW it should be I guess.

And yes, regardless of which body I end up being comfortable with, I will have the quality lenses, and above all, we will have fun !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always use RAW+JPEG that way you have the familiar jpeg version as normal + the added bonus of having the RAW there to play with now or at a later date when you want to delve into that side of things!
    Most of all just enjoy it
    Cheers and Happy Shooting
    Cindy

Canon 7D, 50mm, 100mm Macro
    Olympus E-30, 9-18mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm
    Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Nazz;1053317...might just do the whole RAW thing ! It still scares me a little bit haha but... [/QUOTE]

Embrace the RAW, its nothing to be scared of That way if nothing else you can forget about white balence settings (leave on auto) and adjust afterwards if need be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO

Re- memory cards. I tend to use many smaller (4-8Gb) cards. If you have a card fail, you don't lose all of your days shooting and the benefit with a 4GB card, same size as a DVD for easy pain free backup without having to split stuff up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice is a little late but...
    L lenses even on your entry level camera make a huge difference in image quality.

I've just moved from a 450D to a 7D, I've found that the basics are easy but I had muscle memory of using the 450D because the buttons are different in the 7D.
    Also learn the focus system, or if you've done it before on the 500D do focus, recompose.

Good Luck.
    See my work on

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well lovely people, I did it ! I hired, I went RAW to the max and we had an absolute ball ! The focus system did give me a few challenges. But we managed to shoot about 600 photos and many of them are amazing ! I am going to put a handful of them on the new to photography CC bit now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you end up hiring? Sounds like you had a great time and maybe hire might just turn into buy!!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, we hired the 5DMark III plus a 24 -70mm f2.8 lens and a 70 - 200mm f 2.8 lens.

Yes ! I was warned it might be dangerous to my bank account to hire... it was HAHA I want... I want NOW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    😄😄 welcome to the slippery slope of $$$ vs diminishing returns!

Glad you had fun and got some good images; looking forward to seeing a few.

That body and those 2 lenses are a cracking combination... As you've found out.

J

Sent using Forum Runner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of interest, where did you hire from? So far I've found thefront.com.au and lapfoto.com.au in Sydney.

R
    Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Melbourne, so we hired from this place http://melbourne.camerarental.biz/ Service was great, and very easy. Yes, I am thinking hubby would like me to go back to sewing hobby... costs way less haha. I added a few pics in the beginners CC section. I will add a couple more now that I have done a bit more editing, and found some with better composition.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks.

I had a look at the pics you posted, very good effort, though I agree with others re composition. Nonetheless you should be V pleased with them.

Sent using Forum Runner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12