I have been asked by some aquaintances to take photos at their next live show, ( a band, and playing in basically a theatre) after them seeing what I took at one of their preivous shows. Now, I know that what I took look "great" but, they are taken on my trusty 500D, using auto mode. So being on here for the past few weeks, I have learned a lot ! I can now shoot in manual mode Woot Woot ! And what all those things like Fstop etc. mean are coming back to me from my old SLR days.

So my question is... I have done some research, and discovered that I can hire lenses ( what a great idea !) There are two I'm thinking would do the job. The EF 24 -70mm f2.8 and EF 70 - 200 mm IS II USM. What quality will these produce with my camera body ? I have asked a couple of IRL people and opinions have differed... Well I have two questions really, the other, if I hire a 5D body, would I be totally confused by it's settings? Or could I hire one in the afternoon, and get to know it well enough to get some decent photos that night? Also been told ( and I realise it's not ideal/premium) that even hiring all that gear, and shooting in full auto, would still give me amazing results ? (Provided my superb composition skills are engaged )