User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: I'm soon to see the light

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm soon to see the light

I'm about to see the light .... 20,000 lumens of it to be precise.
    This was just testing whether the new 50 inch LED Lightbar will fit mounted upside down into Rhino Light Mounts, that will be placed along the top of the Rhino Bar, without hitting on the roof of the vehicle (The answer was, "Yes", it will easily fit).

Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just don't hit me head on with those lights.
    Glad the vehicle looks cleaner than when I saw it. Mrs Ez finally got around to cleaning it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. Mrs Ez hasn't even cleaned HER car. I had to do hers for her as well.
    These would be quite dangerous to turn on in normal driving. They're absolutely for off-road use only. They're mounted so high that before you saw the lights of an oncoming car, you may already have been blinding the driver for a second or so, and there would be no way that such a wide spread of light wouldn't be affecting oncoming cars.

It would be tempting if they don't turn off THEIR highbeam, to go all Croc Dundee on them and say, "That's not high-beam, THIS is high beam" as I just about melt their retinas with a quick flash from these to remind them to turn theirs off. But there's a huge difference between the minor blinding of oncoming people not dimming high beam, and the dangerous amount of night vision that an oncoming driver would lose hit with these. I'd never do it. Besides. It would be illegal. Just because they'd also be doing something illegal not dimming theirs, two wrongs never make a right (but three lefts do)

I'm actually sourcing some black covers for them just to be totally safe so that they FIRSTLY don't attract the attention of thieves, and SECONDLY can't ever be accidentally activated while on road. They'll be separately switched too, not just wired to high-beam, but high-beam PLUS having to specifically flick a separate switch first before they will activate with the high beam. That switch will be illuminated so that it is immediately visible if they've been "armed" ready to come on with the highbeam.
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 31-07-2012 at 12:04am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive.
    I just looked at something like that today at a Jeep shop and the price scared the hell out of me.
    Hope you have fun with them.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, does it cost much (like Watt?) to run this quasar, Zook?
    I see they're LEDs, but there's a heap of 'em.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently, they use 15.50 Amps @ 13.8v (watts=amps x volts (I think) so maybe 213.9watts if that formula is correct)
    That makes it
    just slightly more than a pair of 100w halogens, but with massively more light output over a larger area.

They can run on anything from 9v to 32volts, so they're very much less susceptible to voltage drop when having to route the wiring a long way, such as I do from the roof to the back of the vehicle, then down between the body and the ute-back, then along the underside of the vehicle to the engine bay, and then run the switch wiring up into the cabin.

They're set up so the 32 LED's at the left and the right of the bar are spread beam, and the 36 LEDS in the centre are pencil beam (100 LED's in total).

The light output covers a spread of 120 degrees.

These cost $840 delivered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch.
    Dad's looking at doing a HID conversion on his Patorl, and he was complaining about the price of that!!

I wouldn't mind a set of them for the back of my fourby to deter tailgaters....
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    I wouldn't mind a set of them for the back of my fourby to deter tailgaters....
    I have a 100watt driving light on the back of my ute for that reason. Plus if that don't work, I use the electric mirrors to turn their light back on them. That usually works.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    ...I wouldn't mind a set of them for the back of my fourby to deter tailgaters....
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    ...I have a 100watt driving light on the back of my ute for that reason...
    ???!!!!
    Really ???!!!!

Remind me to meet both of you head on.

Oh, and don't forget to dip your lights.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    These would be quite dangerous to turn on in normal driving. They're absolutely for off-road use only. .......
    So the owl said to the kangaroo, " who who turned on those lights?"
    And the kangaroo said to the owl, "tsk tsk, I'd tell you if I hadn't been blinded by them!"
    Then the kangaroo gets knocked out as three blind possums fall out of a tree, and a dingo thinks "ah, I can smell an easy meal" and also promptly knocks itself out as it runs into a rock!

"Doesn't the great Aussie bush look wonderful at night?" says Ez.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    ???!!!!Really ???!!!!Remind me to meet both of you head on. Oh, and don't forget to dip your lights.
    Have you ever counted how many cars that seem to have 1 low beam and one high beam at the same time?
    Oh I just looked... Nth Sydney. You wouldn't notice, you would be use to it. I counted 6 cars all up on my half hour journey to work this morning. as apposed to the 6000 you would see on a 10 minute trip. And there is alway some clown who forgets to dip his lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a brisbaneian, I watched 3 cars on the way to work nearly rear end right into my pushbike because they were too busy being pushy ass**** to notice that traffic in front was stopped ....

Fair's fair I say. Even in daylight, that'd be enough to scare hell outa some of them!