Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: ND Graduation Filters

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ND Graduation Filters

Could some kind soul point me in the direction of an explaination of Graduation filters please? Have done some searching with limited results.
    Geoff Portbury owns,

EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GRRRR! I'm usually pretty grufffff, but I tried "Graduated ND" in Google and got places straight away.
    Then I tried just "Graduated" in the AP Advanced Help and got a few references.

In neither case did I look further into them.

Maybe because I'm so - well, as I said above.
    Am. (Really Grufffff!)
    CC, Image editing OK.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one thread already...

filters help

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    GRRRR! I'm usually pretty grufffff, but

Maybe because I'm so - well, as I said above.
    Am. (Really Grufffff!)
    Nup! I reckon you're just gruff!

either that or you're gett'n ready early for Pirate Day or sm'thn like that .. me hearrrrty!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They work like sunnies fitted to the , Usually top half or top third of your lens when doing Landscapes , Really helpful if doing Sunrises or Sunsets , In fact a must if you want some FG detail , They balance out the exposure evenly over the whole image , Make sure you get the Adjustable ones that slide up and down in a holder , Not the round screw on ones , There is Cokin, Lee, Singh-Ray, Hi-Tech and others , They come in different shades of filtering , Some even have the dark bit in the middle especially for Sunrise (Reverse Grad) , Hope that helps
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, not sure what the GRRRR and gruff speak means. Maybe I've upset you ameerat. If so I apologise. I did try an AP search and found hits but they were of no help. Should have looked in Google first I suppose but didn't think of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks William. Spot on.

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Port View Post
    Hmmm, not sure what the GRRRR and gruff speak means. Maybe I've upset you ameerat. If so I apologise. I did try an AP search and found hits but they were of no help. Should have looked in Google first I suppose but didn't think of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks William. Spot on.
    You'll get used to Am and his "Grrrrreat humour"
    Last edited by outstar79; 29-07-2012 at 2:06pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could some kind soul point me in the direction of an explaination of Graduation filters please? Have done some searching with limited results.
    (Geoff, I could not possibly fit into such a kind category, even by default.)

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

Nup! I reckon you're just gruff!

either that or you're gett'n ready early for Pirate Day or sm'thn like that .. me hearrrrty!
    (Some good ideas.)

Geoff, you did nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by outstar79 View Post
    You'll get used to Am...
    (That's about it.)

Am. (trying to be a kind soul - better make that "sole").

BTW, thanks for those threads, too guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I've noticed quite a bit of magenta colour cast when stacking 2 Cokin Grad NDs (although that can be dealt with in PP).

The Singh Ray reverse GND is looking mighty fine.. although at $120 + 60 shipping I couldn't justify that for a filter..
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top half of the filter is more opaque than the bottom half. There are two main types of graduated filter - hard and soft graduated. The hard graduated has a pretty quick transition between the transparent and less transparent sections, the soft graduated has a longer transition. The hard graduated filters are better for scenes such as beaches or where you can see a clear horizon, the soft grads are better for scenes such as mountains.

You can also get different levels of graduated ND filters - 1, 2 and 3 stops (generally) - the lower the stops, the more light is let through. So if your scene has a stronger contrast between the foreground and background then you'd want to use a 3 stop filter, for example. If there's just a light contrast difference, then a 1 or 2 stop might be suitable. Basically you need to meter this to find out which stop filter you need to use.

Cheaper filters such as Cokin are not true ND (neutral density) and are just painted grey. This has the result of adding purple/magenta cast to your image. Hitech filters are more expensive than Cokin, still has that purple cast but not as bad as Cokin. Lee and Singh-Ray tend to be very neutral and if you have the money, are the ones to go for. I guess you can get away with the cheaper ones and polish up afterwards in post but "you buy cheap, you buy twice" is the mantra I go by!

I started with Hitech which were great when I was first getting into landscape photography as I didn't want to commit to paying big money for my gear but now shoot with Lee filters. The filters are amazing and the whole system is great. I can stack two or three filters (or more) without any concern plus stick my massive 105mm polarising filter on the front and not have to spend the rest of the evening in photoshop cleaning up the image!
    Last edited by welly; 29-07-2012 at 8:19pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try this Saint Grrrrreoffffff. .....http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ty-filters.htm

Quote Originally Posted by outstar79 View Post
    You'll get used to Am and his "Grrrrreat humour"
    Ah, it's humour. I hope you're sure.
    Ma.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for this very useful info (and Ameerat I think it's just Grrrrrrrrouse!)