Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: 40d question re iso setting

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40d question re iso setting

I have purchased a 40D body as a second 35mm body. When I press the ISo button it shows me the camera bracketing scale, not the ISO speed. I downloaded the manual and it seems I am pressing the right button. Can anyone help. I cleared all custom functions and that didn't help. It's on 400 and I mostly shoot at 100. I want to use it Monday when I go out on the whale watch boat.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read another thread somewhere about turning off the highlight tone?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELwKTAl2_5c
    Last edited by bricat; 28-07-2012 at 9:45am. Reason: adding link
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you rotating the Main Dial near the top LCD, not the Quick Control Dial (full wheel) on the back of the camera?

Cheers

Dennis

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I think that you can only adjust the ISO setting in the Creative Modes. In the Basic Modes, the 40D sets the ISO automatically.

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep make sure it's in a creative mode, Not auto, Maybe check that the ISO is not set to Auto ISO if it has that function , And as Nard said , It's not the Main wheel on the back to adjust it like the 30D , It's the dial on the top near the shutter button
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is on the right track. If it is like the 50D the button has two functions when you push it. One is to adjust the ISO using the top finger dial, and the other is to adjust the flash exposure compensation via the rear dial.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, didn't realise I had to press and turn at the same time. ):

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be worth checking this, but going purely from memory, I think that the "press button" function may remain active for approx. 4 or 5 seconds after you press say, the ISO the button, so you don’t have to press and hold?

This should give you time to locate the appropriate wheel and begin making the changes.

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a 40D user I have to say Etherial has it right. Pressing the ISO button gives 5 seconds to adjust ISO using the dial above the shutter button in any of the modes on the "P" side of the green square on the mode dial.