Thread: Have I ordered the right lens?

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have I ordered the right lens?

Have ordered my new 60d and coupled it to a Canon EFS 18 - 55 mm 3.5-5.6
    I realise that its not very fast but at the price it was a choice I had to make.
    Are they OK for a starter lens? Will upgrade when the coffers fill again.
    $71 seemed awfully cheap.

Geoff P
    Geoff Portbury owns,

EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the 18-55 will give you a reasonable wide angle at the 18 end allowing for some good lanscapes etc, and as you move toward the 55 end you will be set for portraiture. Good for general street scenes and anything in between. You might find it lacking if sport is something you are interested in, but no lens exists that covers everything.

So get the camera and the lens and get out and about, learn how it all works, and most of all have fun. Enjoy what you are creating and just appreciate what you can capture. Learn lots and let the better lenses come down the track. Every one of us had to start somewhere and you can learn a huge amount with just that one lens.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Well, when you think of some alternatives...
    - a kick in the head by a mule...)

To save (at least) me going back thru your 50 posts, Geoff, what have you "upgraded" from?

That sounds to me like the standard kit lens, which, if not the "best in the world", can't be too bad to start with.

Rick has described some of its potential. Give it a try... Post some results.
    m.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll only find out by using it and finding its limitations.

For $71, how can you miss?
    It isn't the greatest lens in the world, but it does work and is extremely good value.

Once you've been using it for a while, you'll find the focal lengths you use most, and what other focal lengths you want.
    Once you know what you want, if you feel the need, then you'll be in a much better position to decide what else to buy, if anything at all.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Benny. It is really cheap, and will do the job, but it isn't the sharpest out there... But for $71 it's good value. You will be able to experiment to see what focal lengths you use most, and get used to your new camera. Have fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will either:

a) do you for a long long time

or

b) lead you onto greater lenses, and if so it will likely never be used again

You gotta start somewhere, and for that price the lens is a no brainer in my opinion. I bought both kit lenses with my 550D, and now I have a 5D3 and am buying L lenses! the 18-55 is a very cheap lens that has incredible value for money. Enjoy your camera & lens when they arrive!
    Cheers, Daniel
    5D III | 35L | 85Σ| 100L | 50/1.8 | 600EX-RT | Di622 II

facebook

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't know about the lens. Do know about the camera and I'd be surprised if you don't like it. Learn about it with the lens you're getting and "upgrade when the coffers fill again."
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ameerat,
    Coming from a Fujika (30 yrs ago) and currently a Canon Powershot G6. The G6 is my work camera and about 12 yrs old. Does the job for work but old tech and starting to malfunction

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for your comments. They have all been along the lines of my thinking. " Got to start somewhere and at $71 not much to lose. My new equipment has been shipped and I'm getting very excited about learning the ins and outs of the 60D. Thanks again for the advice.

Geoff P

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think you will find it's a pretty good lens.

In fact, if you wait for a true technical need for a better photo to arise from dissatisfaction with your results, instead of suffering from upgrade fever, you might have a long wait!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 18-55 and the 55-250 as they came with my camera (600D). I use the 18-55 probably 90% of the time and have taken some nice photos, concentrating mainly on landscapes and older buildings.

After about 8 months I become frustrated at times with the limitations of the lenses and am looking at upgrading in the future, but it is not at the point that they are totally unbearable and I am desperate. In fact I have just chosen to upgrade my tripod as a priority over a new lens, and I treat the limitations of the equipment as a challenge rather than an excuse.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've now taken several hundreds of shots with my new gear/ lens and find it just terrific. It will serve me well into the future my thinks.
    Thankyou all for the advice

saint Geoffrey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 60D and loooove my camera. Now, the lens is a different matter!! I am happy with the 18-55 that it came with and I shoot a lot with that but the longer lens of 50-250 (by memory without taking it out the bag) is pretty soft when extended near the max length. I actually can't WAIT to get a better telephoto lens!!

Did you only get the body and had to buy the lens? I got my body and two kit lenses all together. I also have now a sigma 30mm 1.4 that I am thrilled about. Unfort it is only designed for crop cameras, so if i upgrade I won't be able to use it....but that upgrade won't be for a very long time, so it doesn't matter. Anyway, this 30mm gets me close to a 50mm on the crop camera and the sharpness is amazing. So much sharper than the kit lenses. So, if you don't mind buying non-canon, I can recommend Sigma. Just do the research first.

Happy snapping with the 60D!

BTW, I love using the live-view when doing landscapes! Couldn't think of not using it now.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with Ms Monny in regards to the 55-250. If you had asked the same question about that lens I would have suggested start saving. I have entered some of the photos I took with the 18-55 in competitions but don't expect to do so with the 55-250 and if I had my time again would have opted to start with the single lens option and waited to buy a better telephoto.