User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Minimum requirement for graphics cards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimum requirement for graphics cards

just wondering what graphics cards people are using & is it necessary to spend over $60-70's. or is the quality compared to 4 or 5 years ago such that cheaper ones are quite adequate. How much difference do the & $100's + make.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Buy the best you can afford!

Look for one with with a gig of memory or more, it is able to render your screen images faster, and handle more processes at once. Stick to one that uses a standard graphics processor like nVidia etc as they tend to be supported more.

Also depends what connections you want. Do you want HDMI? DVI? Are you considering (now or in future) to go to a 2 screen setup? Then look for one that has dual outputs.

Video cards seem to run in batches when it comes to pricing, with those in the sub $100.00 range, then there are those in that sit around $150.00 then it jumps to the $200-$400 range..and up. The sub $100 range tends to be 1GG and often only single port connections, those around $150 offer faster clock speeds and in some 2GB and more choice in connection type, then the next level up offer you 2GB or more, dual HDMI ports, cooling fans and more.

Depending on what you use your system for, and the location, cooling may not be a necessity.

So the answer to your question is that it depends on what you want from a card, and how you intend to use it.

Scorptec (AP advertiser) have a good range a good prices and they include scores/reviews where they can in their product lists : http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/35/461
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the quality of the low end ones are comparable to the dearer ones of 4 -5 years ago but software/hardware has also advanced in that time and requires more from your card. If you are planning on driving multiple large high res monitors get one with a faster processor and lots of RAM.

You won't need to go top end $300+ unless you are planning on playing high FPS games. If you are wanting HDMI output, check to see whether it has an audio chip onboard as well otherwise you will need to take audio from your motherboard if you are wanting video + audio through HDMI.

2 major chipsets exist - ATi and nVidia. nVidia is probably a little more popular atm but bother offer good driver support. If you go with the nVidia chipset get one from their GTX series. There are a few around the $100 - $150 mark.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Other thing is..cards are now coming out with 3D capability. If you watch movies on your computer, and want to get a 3D bluray player and screen in future, you could look at ensuring you get a 3D capable graphics card now. So really it is about what YOU use your computer for, or want to, in future.
    Last edited by ricktas; 27-07-2012 at 8:15am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the jury is still out on 3D on TVs so they'd be safe for the next few years even if the card didn't have 3D support. The monitor would need to support it as well for it to be of any use.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nogi View Post
    I think the jury is still out on 3D on TVs so they'd be safe for the next few years even if the card didn't have 3D support. The monitor would need to support it as well for it to be of any use.
    sure, but the OP may want it, and it is something to consider. I and lots of my friends have 3D tv's and love watching stuff in 3D, so we must be on a different jury

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    sure, but the OP may want it, and it is something to consider. I and lots of my friends have 3D tv's and love watching stuff in 3D, so we must be on a different jury
    I only mentioned as the OP may have a budget and that budget may or may not extend to the purchase of a new computer screen as well.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/h...902-1jp0u.html

http://www.cnet.com.au/3dtv-sales-ri...-339326705.htm

There was a more recent article as well which I can't find anymore. It's not about sales of the units, it's about whether people are consuming the 3D content. Until the glass free stuf is more readily available, people may not be bothered with wearing the glasses.

FWIW, I have a 63" 3D TV and have only watched a 3D movie once and that was when I was trying it out.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone thank you all for your valuable input. At this stage I'm not looking @ getting a 3D screen as I'm only going to use it for photographic work, once I've learnt how to use NX2, Photoshop, or similar, but a new IPS monitor is certainly over due and is on the wish list.

Concerning 3D I don't think I'd bother with it as a lot of people don't realize that eg a fill can only have a certain content of 3d imaging interdispersed with 2D otherwise the human brain doesn't process the images properly & so you don't get the full benefit of a 3D film.
    Once again thank you all I might have to do more of this it might help my one finger typing progress to two finger typing Cheers.