User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  22

Thread: Critique and negative posts

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Critique and negative posts

There have been a few instances recently where discussions and critique have deteriorated into almost 'he said, she said' arguments.

Please remember that EVERY member is entitled to an opinion and to post a critique of photos, even if that post has negative aspects to it.

We are all here to learn, from the absolute beginner to the most advanced and skilled photographer. I understand that opinions and views will vary, but when posting, please read over your post before submitted and think about the tone of what you have written down. We want AP to be both a place of learning, but also a place where EACH AND EVERY member can feel they can post a question/photo and learn from the replies.

So lets keep threads as positive as possible, and not get into attacking other members for their views. Certainly discuss issues and disagree with others, but explain why you disagree.

I have placed a warning on a couple of threads recently, and I do not like doing that. Lets all enjoy our photography and discussions, with respect for others views.
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-07-2012 at 10:19am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also noticed recently people aren't posing EXIF data or requesting specific areas of comment for photos posted in the critique forums.
    So many posts are starting to just post a picture without any information and saying 'what do you think'.

Isn't it a requirement for posting in the constructive critique forums to Include EXIF and areas critique that is requested?
    www.chaosboi.com
    Canon 60d - 28mm f/1.8 - 50mm f/1.4 - 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 70-200 f/2.8L
    Fujifilm X100
    iPhone 4 for some extra fun on the run!

Other side of the hill ... WhoDo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosboi View Post
    I have also noticed recently people aren't posing EXIF data or requesting specific areas of comment for photos posted in the critique forums.
    So many posts are starting to just post a picture without any information and saying 'what do you think'.

Isn't it a requirement for posting in the constructive critique forums to Include EXIF and areas critique that is requested?
    No, we can't make the presence of EXIF data a requirement because some of the external hosting sites strip it out. We do encourage posters to tell us what their settings were for the shot. The essence of Constructive Critique is that often the poster doesn't know what's an issue until someone makes a comment on an image. That's why there is often no specific request for advice on images.

Some people can look at an image and instantly "see" whether the lighting, composition, exposure, focus, etc. are right. Some need to have it explained because they don't know what to look for, and some are so close to their own image subject that they can't see in their own images what they can easily see in those of other posters. It's all a part of the learning process.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 | D7000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 DX 1:3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-300 DX 1:4.5-5.6 G ED | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...
    My Flickr images ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the clarification WhoDo. I thought I had seen this as a requirement previously, although I might have been mistake with another site.

Ausphotography Regular FallingHorse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have thought that the act of posting it in the For Critique area would mean that the original author would like it to be critiqued
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry FallingHorse, as mentioned above I must have mistake AP rules for another forum I use to frequent. In their critique section you needed to point out what you wanted to be critiqued. ie) composition, lighting etc. and not just asked for critique please.
    I'm not fussed what the rules are, just clarifying.
    And now it's good to know its ok to ask for general advice. :-)

*removed name of other forum. Please the site rules 3-7 and 9*
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-07-2012 at 5:12pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosboi View Post
    And now it's good to know its ok to ask for general advice. :-)
    I leave ExIF attached, but some don't have the add-ons to be able to see it.(Rick recently posted a simple new one for FF.......http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...28#post1050528)
    Have been asked and have asked "what's the settings for this photo."
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S, Sigma 120-400, a speedlite, a tripod, a monopod, a remote release and a padded bag to carry things in.

Ausphotography Regular FallingHorse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems Chaosboi I guess Whodo probably covered it when he said that some people don't know what to ask or aren't able to identify what area might be need critiquing. I think it would be a short sighted rule to make people point out what area needs critiquing because surely that would mean that they are already able to identify the problems ... but I guess that's why I haunt AP and not other forums

Other side of the hill ... WhoDo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    So lets keep threads as positive as possible, and not get into attacking other members for their views. Certainly discuss issues and disagree with others, but explain why you disagree.

I have placed a warning on a couple of threads recently, and I do not like doing that. Lets all enjoy our photography and discussions, with respect for others views.
    It might be timely to remind posters that we are dealing with a TEXT ONLY medium here. Sure, we have the benefit of emoticons () but when you consider that forum communications have to convey ideas and meaning without tenor, tone, facial expression, gestures and body language it is worth thinking twice before reading any emotions or intent into the text. Those two things in particular often cannot be conveyed by words alone and yet people insist on reading them into forum messages, emails and blog posts to name just a few.

Rather than affecting a knee-jerk reaction to some perceived slight or ill-intent in a forum post, I hope people here would ask first whether that was the author's intent. All too often the answer is no and the defensive reading of the text has more to do with the reader's state of mind than the posters. I've been involved in Internet forums and bulletin boards for over 30 years and still that message is disregarded in the "heat" of passionate discussions. I suggest that we all take a lesson from the humble carpenter and "measure twice before cutting once". JMHO.
    Last edited by WhoDo; 27-07-2012 at 2:52pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't think I have got a negative critique yet. I have had a few that could have been taken the wrong way. But I never taken offence, simply for the reason WhoDo has posted above.
    How many times have we written something, and have it completely taken out of context because of the lack of expression. Terms like "You old bastard" or "You idiot" without expression could lead to a punch in the nose.
    We also must remember that 99.9% of us are not literary geniuses, and adding expression to a sentence is quite an artform.

And if you don't wont your images to be critiqued, and only wont positive feedback. Then I suggest facebook.
    Last edited by geoffsta; 27-07-2012 at 3:37pm.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only learn by getting feedback. Honesty is all I ask for.
    I know nothing about anything, only what I like.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - good clarification.