User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Strange SMS caller ID, a gumtree ad, and scamming... or nothing at all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange SMS caller ID, a gumtree ad, and scamming... or nothing at all!

Ok, so I received an SMS and I'm wondering if it is totally innocent or something more sinister.

I have a few things listed on Gumtree, so at first it didn't seem strange when I received an SMS stating "I tried to reach u but didnt get thru just want to know if u still hv d AD on Gumtree for sale? kindly contact me on <email>". However I did think it odd that the ID on the SMS was a name (Jenny) and not a phone number, and I can't figure out how to find the number from that SMS. No, Jenny is not in my address book. I noticed that some other SMS'es in my inbox are like that, such as messages from "NetBank" and "Optus MSG." These are known legit messages, but similarly I can't see what phone number they came from. (My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S.) Other messages from 'normal' phones including ones not in my address book do allow me to look up the phone number.

So... do you think this smells fishy, and if so how and why, or is it just me being over-suspiscious? Maybe this Jenny person just used some sort of online SMS facility??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say just a Scam
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed scam
    Just Taken Photography
    Click >>HERE<< For Facebook Page

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know a couple of Jennys, and even if it's not a scam I'd leave it alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup i'd say scam as well.
    Life is short, Keep snapping!
    CC always welcome
    Nikon D5100 | Nikon D7100 | Bits and pieces. | Some glass here and there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Online SMS services allow you to set it up to send with a name like that, from what I understand, so that could explain that.

But SMS you to ask you to email her? This would ONLY make sense if there was something wrong with 'her' mobile phone - which she would've mentioned in the message.

The message looks like a very generic scam messae to me. Definite scam.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    scam. ignore. Gumtree is full of them. I was trying to sell a computer and was getting one of those (from the same person) every few hours. I ended up adding them to the blocked numbers in my phone.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup... got another two generic SMS'es this morning asking me to email them, one from a mobile phone number and one from "Jason." So, I believe you guys are right!

I haven't had this happen before, and I've listed a few times on Gumtree. So, what do you think they are trying to get out of me, by asking me to email them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achee View Post
    Yup... got another two generic SMS'es this morning asking me to email them, one from a mobile phone number and one from "Jason." So, I believe you guys are right!

I haven't had this happen before, and I've listed a few times on Gumtree. So, what do you think they are trying to get out of me, by asking me to email them?
    Eventually they will want to 'buy' your item and request your banking details etc
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what can they do with my banking details?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get this same message every single time I put an advert on Gumtree, without fail. Ask them what item on gumtree are interested in as you were listing a number of items and I can guarantee they'll say "All of it!". Ask them specifically what ad they were responding to and you'll not hear from them again.

I used to bait them a little by responding to their email and asking how they were going to arrange shipping a car or house to wherever they wanted it shipping to or what they planned to do with 2000 colonic irrigation lubrication packs but got bored. I just delete them now. Either way, ignore, delete or bait them but it's a scam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are best not to repsond in any way.
    Responding to them just gives them your e-mail address or other contact details, so they can harrass you further at a later date.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - i bet you have an iphone? (OOPS just reread your message and noticed you have a Samsung - not sure if the below applies but just in case it does i have left it there)

When someone sends you a SMS via iphone (or ipad) to iphone and they are near a wireless network it uses the Imessage capability of Iphone. It sends the message not via your telco but via the internet - hence you do not see a SMS number you see an email address. The advantage is you are sending SMS free of charge.

So it might not be a scam - after all if you are selling something they want to deposit in your bank account and normally with Gumtree they are picking up the item.

Kel
    Last edited by Brian500au; 28-07-2012 at 9:03pm.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    Ok - i bet you have an iphone? (OOPS just reread your message and noticed you have a Samsung - not sure if the below applies but just in case it does i have left it there)

When someone sends you a SMS via iphone (or ipad) to iphone and they are near a wireless network it uses the Imessage capability of Iphone. It sends the message not via your telco but via the internet - hence you do not see a SMS number you see an email address. The advantage is you are sending SMS free of charge.

So it might not be a scam - after all if you are selling something they want to deposit in your bank account and normally with Gumtree they are picking up the item.

Kel
    I've had the exact same message in the exact same words as achee received numerous times. This is absolutely, 100% an attempted scam as whoever has sent this message has sent the same one to me in an attempt to scam me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jenny's number is 867-5309 - Youtube it!
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    ... what they planned to do with 2000 colonic irrigation lubrication packs...

Well, I got a few, I didn't reply to any.

But... does anyone know... what's the risk of giving my banking details (account name, BSB, account number) to a stranger?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon