Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best set up for remote flash unit for Nissin Di 866 and EOS 7D

Hi guys,

Looking for advice on the best way to set up a remote flash for my Nissin Di866 on my EOS 7D.

Something simple and easy to use thats reliable, as a lot of my shoots take place on offshore boats with fish intended for release so theres minimum time for playing with settings etc.

Thanks!

Stew

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if the nissin is one of the flashes that talk via the 7D's remote firing or if it talks to the ETTL system in the camera. Maybe worth a google. If it doesn't fire remote, a 3ft remote cord is pretty cheap.

For flash in general with fish photos I've found is it's very easy to blow the highlights due to most of them being very shiny, almost reflective chrome on fish like bream or barra. Worse again when straight from the water and dripping wet. But these are the photos you want.

I usually just expose for the background let the ETTL do do it's own thing to add fill flash, often backing it off 1/2 to 2/3 of a stop from what it thinks. Leave the highlight alert showing on the preview window on the LCD to check if it's blowing out & back off more if req'd. Quicker than manual when you're in a hurry & plan on releasing the fish as soon as possible.

If you do end up using manual, it may take a bit of trial & error the first couple of times to come up with a suitable power setting. From there each time in similar circumstances you go to that setting & just fine tune it over a few shots.

While I'm rambling on, to save carrying a light stand & too much crap in small boats, I usually just hand hold the flash with a small cheap fold up soft box up & to the side to get rid of the front on flash effect. Sometimes I carry this CLIP with THIS bracket on it to hold the flash & soft box, or umbrella. You can clip it to a net handle, gaff handle or lure retriever in a rod holder as a make shift lightstand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nissin has a slave function which works off the built-in flash of the 7D.
    If you set this up on the Nissin and use the built-in flash, every time the flash on the camera fires, it wil too and you do'nt need any wires etc., so you can hold the flash in one hand and the camera in the other.
    IF you use the slave set-up (see your instructions for the flash and read about the optical slave function), you won't even need to set anything up on the camera.
    You can easily adjust the out put of the flash on the back of the unit to adjust the power of the flash too.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser Film Street's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In bright daylight the Nissin wont read the signal every time. I'd leave the Nissin in the hot shoe and turn it to the left at a reflector you are holding on your left hand (or your assistant is holding). You'll get much better softer light using this method rather than the harsh little strobe light.