Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now the hard part D800 or D4

Now the hard part D800 or D4
    I was going to buy a D800 but there is at least a 3 month wait (and I am not known for my patience). I want to use it for everything including macro and sports and some have suggested that an FX would be better so, I was going to get a D7000 as well (next year).
    Now too much reading has done my head in, with the wait for the D800 (I also want to wait until they get the focus sorted) I was thinking of buying the lenses for it and then buying the D7000 now and use it until they fix the focus issues and they become more readily available. The lenses I am buying will be the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II I am also buying the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED and the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G as well as the AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED some TC’s and Extension tubes. Next year I want to buy the 600mm or the new 800mm depending on price.
    Seeing how I have no investment in lenses as yet, I even looked at the Canon 5d mark III but the light fix that canon came up with (black electric tape) has not filled me with confidence in their product so I have ruled them out.
    Then I decided to look at the D4 big mistake! I like it, it looks like it will do everything I want easily, It has great lowlight capability has the speed and fast focus to match and the auto focus works way up to f8 so I could use the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II and a TC and it would still be good for some sports or landscape and I could use it until the 600mm or the 800mm comes next year.
    So here is the problem the D800 is about $3500 D7000 about $900 do I spend the extra $1600 on the D4 and not buy the AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G (which is about $1600) and leave the D7000 all together, then buy the AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED when I can afford it next year when I buy either the 600mm or 800mm.
    I am leaning towards the D4 so any thought would be appreciated.
    PS I looked at the 1DX as well but it looks good on paper but I think the low light on the D4 is just that bit better and the auto focus on it isn’t as good as the Nikon so the reviews say, and then there is no auto focus (not a big thing) when used with a TC past f5.6 (unless you tape up the first 3 pins).
    Last edited by flyreels; 23-07-2012 at 6:44pm.